Dietitians exposing their ignorance on Diabetes

(Marc) #21

The original post said that “diabetes [is] related to poverty and class…”
The offered article says:

It holds that because infections are now relatively well controlled in the west, compared with a century or more ago, the immune system in some people starts attacking some part of the body, in the case of type 1 diabetes the pancreatic cells which produce insulin.
Dr Willis said that, based on the hypothesis, the higher incidence in more-affluent areas might be because of differences in factors like family size or patterns of child-care use - things that exposed a child more, or less, to other people and their infections.

The point being that there are many causes, some theorized, of diabetes (type 1, type 1 1/2 , type 2, type 3). To say that “diabetes is related to poverty and class” is unbelievable/profound ignorance.

(Steve Stephenson) #22

Probably her assumption is that the saturated fats in fatty protein is bad and vegetable fats should be eaten instead.

Ohhhhh…slippery slope…careful. Are you suggesting no saturated fats in non-animal fats? Because that ain’t so.

(Steve Stephenson) #24

I read recently that T1 diabetics can become insulin resistant from their insulin treatments and additionally become T2 diabetics. Is that called T1.5? (Since T3 is being used for diabetes in the brain.)

(Jamie Hayes) #25

Fascinating thought.

(Richard Morris) #26

Yes that can happen. When we make insulin it’s 10x the concentration at the pancreas as it is downstream at the the portal vein and that is 10x the concentration at the periphery. It’s hard to get that concentration gradient injecting it, so a type 1 runs the risk of it being too low centrally and too high at the periphery which can trigger IR.

That’s the worst of both worlds being type 1 and developing IR from the injected insulin, or being type 2 and becoming insulin dependant because you burned out your pancreas taking drugs to make it make more insulin.

(Marty Kendall) #27

I read recently that T1 diabetics can become insulin resistant from their insulin treatments and additionally become T2 diabetics. Is that called T1.5? (Since T3 is being used for diabetes in the brain.)

@sks23cu Type 1s who are eating a ton of processed carbs and dosing with exogenous insulin (as instructed by diabetes educators, diabetes associations) will quickly become insulin resistant (just like anyone else will). This can quickly be reversed by eating a nutrient dense low insulin load diet.

Type 1.5 or LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes in adults) is considered to be where the pancreas gives out when someone is older (i.e. not juvenile diabetes). This can be autoimmune and / or burn out related.

(Steve Stephenson) #28

I wouldn’t; but I think the general public’s perception is that vegetable (seed) oils are healthier than animal fats because they don’t have saturated fats in them.

Public perception is built on marketing, perhaps?

Coconut oil is a good example of saturated.

(Crow T. Robot) #30

No question. Sally Fallon’s “Oiling of America” presentation reveals all.

I remember decades ago, when there was a public scare against coconut oil. The processed food manufacturers were forced to change out coconut oil for hydrogenated vegetable oils…crazy. Just like McDonalds was criticized for using beef tallow, and forced to replace with vegetable oils.

Ignorance is bliss! Awesome response @richard !!

(Crow T. Robot) #33

Thank you, CSPI. Idiots.

They should really get sued for that.