Dietary Guidelines

(David Cooke) #1

The website “Right to know” went to town on these guys this week.

(Alec) #2

So, the key question is: who appoints these people? My view is that you cannot blame the individuals for having a conflict of interest… but they HAVE to make sure they declare them. But why do the people who pick these people think that this is OK… it is clearly not OK, but they seem to be very blasé about these conflicts. It is the pickers that have the questions to answer.

Frankly it is disgraceful.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Agency officials who come from industry, and who know there’s a well-paying job in industry waiting for them when they leave government service.

(Mark Rhodes) #4

https://www.dietaryguidelines.gov/learn-about-process#step-2-appoint-the-advisory-committee

(Alec) #5

Additional Review, Including Conflicts of Interest
The vetting process for potential members included a background check by HHS to determine if any candidates have a financial, ethical, legal, and/or criminal conflict of interest that would prohibit them from serving on the Committee.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

(Mark Rhodes) #6

I didn’t say it was honest, just “who” was doing the choosing :sunglasses:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Thanks for the link, Mark. :+1:

Hope you are doing well.

(Robin) #8

Good to see you! Hope all is well.

(Mark Rhodes) #9

@PaulL @robintemplin Oh I have been in and out of the forums, just not commenting much these preffering to watch others learn the same way I did, by participation. My activity in the community is pretty much behind the scenes these days, having become friends with so many of the commentators we all love so well. MY own website should be going again soon.

So what has been new? Rotator cuff surgery Sept 7th by Dr Raasch, Chief Surgeon to Milwwaukee Brewers, Bucks and Ballet. Everyone kept treating me like I was sixty and athletic rather than an athelete who was sixty. I called Raash and he asked why him and I told him, he said come in. I walked into his room and he said " Yep, you belong here" SO that kind of validation was nice. I use EF for 48-72 once a week to rush along the process but not so much as to deprive myself of vital amino acids. I supplment lysine and C. ( The lysine idea indirectly comes from the Sodfather ). I am 10 or more days ahead of recovery schedule, hitting all my flexibility requirements by week four and quietly began lifting arm weight last two weeks.
My wife had a tough go of it which pretty much made me sit back and watch others drive the bus. Without sharing her story too much, lets say her keto regimen was no longer effective and I had to pay special attention to Dr. Palmer. Things are back on track emotionaly for her but fiscally it has been a punch in the nose.

My cardiologist retired and gave me his personal information so I could stay in contact. He reviews my labs and tests because we have fun doing it. He is free to give me health advice because, hey, he’s a doctor!! It is so funny because when I first saw him he was writing a bok on a plant based diet. He stopped. I was appalled, appalled I say, when he started giving me my own advice abot muscle mass being an important factor in longevity. That’s fine, it sounds better coming from him than me. I will be around more frequently. Paul, you haven’t seen me in a while so here is a recent pic from the gym

(Bob M) #10

Rotator cuff surgery is a tough one. I found it hard to sleep after that.

It’s good to see you back and recovering.

(Robin) #11

Yowza. Good for you!

(Mark Rhodes) #12

The injury was long and tired. It wasn’t one thing but a continued combination of recreation, work and hobby farm work. The surgeon said my bicep was literally hanging by a thread. It looked like a net rather than a cord.
Then the labrum should be totally white and one piece. He doesn’t know how I continued to military lift 150 over head 20 reps. My muscle tissue was holding it in place.image The labrum had given out.

So I am a cyborg now. I have screws in place. Again fortunately for me, my background includes working on prototypes of this stuff while at a medical supply tool and die house making components for Ethicon.
But recover I do. Never had it in a sling. He wanted free motion and lots of walking. My dog and I walked 2-5 miles in the Southern Kettle Morraine in WI almost daily. I really focused on recovery, allowing the surgeon for once to have the last word about activity. Now that is new!! Really I see surgeons as mechanics. He said “DO as I say and you will lift refridgerators in 6 months!” and I said " A samsung or a 1950’s GE?" “9 months for the GE” and we both had a chuckle.

(Bob M) #13

When we had our Samsung delivered, and they were taking out a much older fridge, they said the old one was going to weigh way more. They were right. The Samsung is made of thin material.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

Wow! You look fierce! And determined! And great!! Good to see a pic, buddy! :+1:

(Robin) #15

Honestly curious, can you do this pose while smiling? :grin:

(Mark Rhodes) #16

Yes. But y’all se my mischief all the time