Dietary Carbohydrates Impair Healthspan and Promote Mortality

science

(Martin Liversage) #1

A new study published in Cell Metabolism concludes that

nutritive carbohydrates increase human mortality, whereas dietary fat reduces it, requesting a fundamental change of current nutritional guidelines.

The article references Associations of fats and carbohydrate intake with cardiovascular disease and mortality in 18 countries from five continents (PURE): a prospective cohort study also known as the PURE study.

A critique of the PURE study has been published in The Nutrition Source:

[The PURE study’s] findings are not as novel or disruptive as these sensational headlines suggest.

Some of their points seem valid. However, it is still interesting to see academic work being done that challenges current beliefs about what a healthy diet is.

Another snippet from the article:

Notably, while the PURE study could not establish an increase in mortality from cardiovascular causes […], the observed increase in global mortality likely is related to the second-frequent cause of death, namely cancers, in states of high-carbohydrate uptake

I don’t think these studies proves that carbs will kill you but lowering your carb intake doesn’t seem like something to avoid. :slight_smile:

(MooBoom) #2

I recall the dudes talking about the PURE study in a podcast Ep that came out around the time the PURE study was published.

Their contention as I recall is that the PURE study was based on bad science (epidemiological- self reporting) and although it came to the same conclusion as their personal beliefs, they would not be citing it to strengthen their position.

I would have to agree with the Dudes on this one.

(KetoCowboy) #3

You give a fair assessment of the article, but I don’t really need more proof that carbs will kill me. I remember my 20s, 30s, & 40s accurately enough to know for certain that they will.

(Keto in Katy) #4

I know how a high carb diet makes me feel. It feels like my body is saying “hey dumb ass, you’re killing us.”

Keto makes me feel like “oh that’s better, here’s some energy and brain juice for you to enjoy in your handsome slim physique.”

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

What I like about this article is that it takes a fresh look at a study that was used to support the diet-heart hypothesis (i.e., about the connection between dietary saturated fat, serum cholesterol, and heart disease) and points out that, far from supporting the hypothesis, the data actually tend to disprove it. The PURE study writeup drew conclusions that were the exact opposite of what the data actually said, whereas this article reanalyzes the data and discusses what the data actually say.

I like that the authors point out the limitations of the data as well; for example, they do not show an association between carbohydrate intake and cardiovascular disease. This may not be what we want to hear, but if no such association exists in the data, one should by no means be manufactured. There are enough well-designed studies out there that do show such an association.

It is wonderful to know that there are scientists out there willing to point out that the diet-heart hypothesis is unsupported by the data, and that there is a journal actually willing to publish their article. These are very encouraging signs.