Diet Coke and whiskey

So general curiosity here adhering to Keto 100% do any of you have a few Keto friendly drinks once a week? Like Diet Coke and rum or whiskey? Also how badly does this set you back or have you noticed it does?

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/food/alcohol

Good place to start. I’m on my phone else I’d elaborate more. My understanding is that zero carb alcoholic drinks are fine, if you’re willing to put ketosis on pause while your body cleans out the alcohol from your blood.

Like I said, that’s my understanding.

I used to do this and then moved to whiskey on the rocks, then to whiskey straight, then to no booze for various reasons since June 2016.

Booze was a double edged sword for me. Good times, but I had a tendency to really eat a ton during and after. Diet cola also seems to produce an insulin response in me so I have been off that as well.

Some people can have booze and be aok, others, like me, are hit or miss. Try it out and see what works for you! You probably already know this but take it slow on the booze, your tolerance will be way down.

Good Luck!
KCKO!

Edit:grammar and spelling are hard.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #4

It depends on you, try a drink a see how it impacts you. Test the artificial sweetner first so it’s clear you’re testing alcohol. I enjoy occasional leaded beverages with little to no ketogenic impact.

Checkout the 2KetoDudes podcast on alcohol. They also have a number of links on alcohol info and a podcast update sharing Carl’s experience with weight loss plateaus and alcohol. http://www.2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=10

(Jan) #5

I personally don’t drink very often and if I do it’s only on a friday or saturday evening.
Mostly some red wine or whisky.

While it’s true your ketosis is on pause, I don’t have any problems getting back into ketosis. I’m fine the next day and still be able to do my intermittent fasting. I do however have some issues on monday while doing the IF. While I can hold on to diner time, it’s harder to do this compared to other days.

This might be a side-effect of less sleep, alcohol and more snacking during the weekends, but it is at least something I noticed. So I’m not sure it’s the alcohol, it surely is something you might want to check out for yourself also.

As far as diet soda goes, I’m minimizing it due to the possibility of insulin spikes. When going to a bar I do mix drinks, but I don’t go very often to bars.

(John) #6

I drank whiskey and diet coke every night for the first 4 months, now that I am near then end I have to cut back to hit my newly lowered calories. In short it didn’t affect ketosis at all, just adds empty calories.

(Steven Cook) #7

As the resident Scot, by whiskey I hope you are referring to bourbon. If you’re putting coke in Scotch whisky then I may have to come round and punch you on the arm! :stuck_out_tongue: (just kidding)

(Jen H) #8

I’ve been drinking jack and diet since going Keto and have found that I get tipsy earlier on, and I really can’t stop drinking. No self control where I used to.

No desire to eat when drinking either.

And hangover is ROUGH. I feel so crappy I don’t want to eat carbs so getting back into Ketosis isn’t a prob.

I may try switching to on the rocks to slow down, if that doesn’t work I may have to stay away.

(Sierra) #9

Sounds so good. I better get out of this thread!!! You all are bad influences!

I don’t mind partaking in a cheeky bourbon with coke zero…doesn’t detrimentally impact me Keto-wise, however everyone is different so, like most things, you won’t really know until you try it for yourself.

(Simon L Smith) #11

“found that I get tipsy earlier on,”

Same here. And it’s my favorite way to see if I am in Ketosis. (j/k, sort of).

(Travis Chia) #12

Sounds great guys. Looking forward for more tips n tricks

(Allie) #13

Never touch the stuff, but that’s just personal preference.

(Christopher Hodge) #14

As a resident Kentuckian I hope they’re using cheap bourbon if they’re adding diet coke. I only drink my bourbon neat or with a few drops of water.

(Randy) #15

Re: worse hangovers.
Alcohol can make you dehydrated, and KETO flushes excess water already. The recommendation I remember (2K Dudes???) was to drink an 8oz. glass of water after every oz of hard liquor.

ADF= Alternate Daily Fasting.
ADH= Alternate Drink Hydration… :wink:

(m) #16

I definitely do, but my drink is gin and diet tonic. Whether it slows things down or not, I don’t care cause I’m gonna enjoy this ride!
Definitely less tolerance for me nowadays for sure. I do drink a lot of water throughout and a have a big ketorade on hand for the next morning!

(LUCAS KRAUSE) #17

I remember hearing about a hangover cure, you can eat some yeast before drinking it basically “undoes” the alcohol so you don’t get as drunk and is easier on the liver.

It has been debunked but drinking water helps dilute the alcohol so you don’t get as drunk, but who wants to drink a liter of water and a shot of alcohol?
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/07/10/327854051/alcohol-test-does-eating-yeast-keep-you-from-getting-drunk

(Bacon, Not Stirred) #18

Just… be very, VERY careful. So, after I drank all of the whiskey in the entire world one night (which was really about four drinks), I woke up the next day and had lost 6 pounds. 6 pounds!? However, the following three days were filled with pure misery. I was sick. Throwing up. Dead and dying.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #19

Alcohol stimulates my appetite, so I use it medicinally only. To be taken internally at the end of a really long hike or a spectacularly shitty day.

(Doug) #20

Co-signed! :pensive: :wink: