Diet Coke and Keto

You should introduce it!

I knew kip but I learned new things here… That’s nice. Sometimes I read a long fanfiction with big words and my vocabulary suddenly gets richer by HUNDREDS of new words. It happened to me lately. (It’s the level what The Lord of the Rings did when I barely knew any English - 2 years in high school as one foreign language of two? it was nothing. one can learn a lot in 2 years but not that way - but it couldn’t stop me… And there came the descriptions…)

I like languages. Especially mine as it’s fun and challenging but all have its charm. And I disagree with the opinion that English is super easy. It has its fair share of confusing things.
And unfortunately it has gendered pronouns. It’s good object names don’t have genders though it’s kind of fun when the hen is neutral, the young girl is male and a bitch (female dog) can be caller er and sie alike… German is still unnecessarily hard due to genders and it’s not good for ANYTHING, it’s just a complication, it’s crazy… But in Russian I need to tell my own gender if I talk about something I did…
I appreciate all the points where Hungarian is super simple.

My English must be some weird British/US/Ozzie mix nowadays…

(Alex) #43

I found a local brand that is a cola type of drink, but with Stevia. It doesn’t taste as good as diet coke, but it’s close enough and stevia is keto friendly!

(Marianne) #44

:rofl:

(Marianne) #45

You have an excellent command of it.

(Marianne) #46

Is that wildly expensive? Pop has really gone up in price (everything has).

When I drank soda, I would frequently buy Diet Rite. It used stevia. Not sure if it still does. All the RC colas have a stronger less sweet taste.

(Alex) #48

No, same price with diet coke/coke/light/coke zero

(Marsha) #49

For what it’s worth (n=1 and all of that), I too was diagnosed as a T2 diabetic. Started low carb and then keto, but continued to drink diet coke.

Lost 80 pounds. Latest A1c (as of a couple of weeks ago) was 5.4.

Your mileage may vary, but it hasn’t caused problems for me.

You see if some anti keto drinks company are looking at this, and come up with a drink called lash…I’ll laugh my walnuts off!

All good words, always tio be used in context lol.

Your English is very good.

(Scott) #52

Zero calorie drinks are just chemicals in bottle that you pay a lot for. Just get a water flask and fill it with ice & water. Its free and better for you.

I agree. They even taste and smell like chemicals to me.

My mom used to say regular coke was better for you than Diet Coke. I think both are poison to be honest, but especially the aspartame. I grew up with an eating disorder and drank ridiculous amounts of it. As a kid, I drank orange soda with my chicken nuggets from McDonalds. I stopped drinking diet soda in my early 20’s, and started drinking ice tea instead. It’s been about 15 years since I drank soda of any kind and I haven’t craved it since and I can’t believe I spent so many years drinking it. Carbonated/seltzer water with fresh lemon or lime might help you break the habit. If you need the caffeine, try iced tea with lemon. I feel strongly about this topic… I try not to tell people “don’t eat or drink this” but this is one of those times I can’t help it.

I agree about drinking water. These days I mainly drink water. I remain addicted to coffee. I think the essential part we are not mentioning/ discussing is the addictive nature, and psychological impacts, of processed foods and beverages created by food scientists. Discussing it too early in a person’s individual experience can be misconstrued.

I remember desperately weight-loss dieting on CICO low fat in the 1980s and 1990s, and ‘treating’ myself with gallons of Pepsi Max, because I was so hungry and so addicted to sweetness.

Until low carb eaters recognise the bounty and variety of the low carb healthy fats way of eating, they can hold on to the ingrained idea that eating healthily is a deprivation process. If people feel deprived of their needs and wants, then sustainability for a well intentioned nutrition plan becomes fraught.

Lowering carbohydrate intake is the first key achievement.

Allowing substitutions (some call it ‘scaffolding’), such as artificial sweeteners, and a step wise approach can be a more successful path. Many hold on to their pop addictions, like I hold on to my coffee addiction, often not knowing that they are addicted.

It also depends on the drinking water quality that people have access to. Some city water tastes pretty bad.

Indeed. Tap water isn’t tasty in most places. Mine is okay but it’s still boring. I have no idea why my drink must be fun but I can’t drink water only. I would never buy packaged water, I already have problems with meat on 50% sale in a too big plastic box (and I can’t spend much money on food. it’s good meat is one of the cheapest options. still, it’s good to get it on sale)! I feel bad for the planet. And taking out the garbage is a 2km walk anyway so I only do it once a month…

But carbonated water comes in zillion times reused bottles and I rarely drink 2 liters a week (I need to bring back the 2 bottles on foot in the scorching sun, 10km. nice walk by the way, throught the wildlife park. I probably will do it today. well I totally will make my SO do it, at least partially but I need to walk).

I mostly drink tea. IDK what’s the thing with ice tea, I never drank that just heard about it (people BUY packaged tea, crazy).

I understand it’s not easy or even realistic to stop drinking some drink we are used to. I keep trying to quit coffee and it doesn’t go well. It’s theoretically easy but I have about zero self control if it’s about eating and drinking. But I have mixed results so not nothing :smiley: And I am not even properly addicted, it’s just a habit. I don’t like coffee anymore and it does nothing to me. I just drink it to add variety to my drinks. It helps to substitute it but only cocoa is good at it and that’s even less carnivore than coffee…

I probably couldn’t substitute soda (that I never was into. I liked some but it was a few times a year for me. it’s super inconvenient to drink it way more often, garbage, money, effort, weight… I don’t buy things so easily) with lemonade though it’s my closest idea too. It’s like substituting coffee with tea to me. There are similarities but it’s just nothing like the original.
But one can use every little help :slight_smile: I can imagine drinking anything helps a bit.
Sweeteners may or may not help. I would train myself out of sweetened drinks if possible (as I actually did. gradually as I won’t sacrifice a noticeable amount of joy even if I have a nice goal. it took maybe a decade to reach to the point where I dislike sweetened drinks. even my hot cocoa is unsweetened), I imagine it’s helpful. One can’t relapse if they don’t want and even dislike sweetened drinks… :smiley: It must go way quicker if one doesn’t eat as many sweets as I did on keto…

But I couldn’t drink sodas and other similarly sweetened drinks since ages as my sweetness perception changed drastically in the first few years after going low-carb. I think I wrote about it already, it’s very common.

Maybe the ones who keep liking super sweet things are often ones who keep consuming super sweet things? I don’t know, in my family we kept eating sweets all the time (sweet fruits as well) and we still had to lower the sweetness, quite drastically and quickly, it was maybe several months and we already needed a third of the original sweetness in everything sweetened. Not eating added sugar was a key even if I can’t imagine why.

So maybe doing our own sweetened thing and lowering the sweetness is the right thing. It was to me. But I had no fav drinks I had to buy… I would have abandoned them anyway as I just stopped buying complicated things and made almost all my food and drink from simple ingredients. Sodas were totally out.
I think my drastic changes helped, I just did it with so big determination that is was super easy.
Other changes took a long time and stubbornness. Sometimes mental games were included. But usually just stubbornness, I had a goal and worked on it most of the time. Sweetened drinks seemed a bad idea, no matter the sweetener (I have nothing against the ones I used and rarely still use but they are not food and it’s good to break with the habit of eating sweets so often. if it’s sweetened and the stuff is all about sweetness, it’s sweets to me even if it’s a drink. a proper dish with some sweetener as spice isn’t) so I trained until I lost them.

(Megan) #56

I dont test my blood or pee but I too love diet coke. But I have found that if Im fasting and have a diet coke I get STUPID hungry. So it may not do anything to my macros, but my body is preparing for something more than aspartame. I dont drink it now unless Im having lunch, which I dont really do anymore.

(Alex) #57

Strange, it doesn’t make me hungry, especially the stevia ones.

I mostly stopped buying all soda other than seltzer after I called the manufacturer of a commercial fridge and complained about some rust spots. They told me to take coke on a rag and they will come right off. Everyone at work thought twice about soda.

I will maybe once a month if I am out to lunch or dinner have a soda. I will also drink Bais as long as they are cold but I do not usually buy them and they keep me awake. I would say if you are happy with your health and rate of weight loss and appetite then keep doing it. If you want to see if it changes anything give it up for two weeks and see what happens.

Personally I would rather save my artificial sugar for candy or keto cakes made with erythritol or Stevia

(BuckRimfire) #59

Heh. I like beets. It’s a pity they’re rather carby. Half a dozen years ago, I made some nice roasted beets one night, and the next day at work was peeing and thinking I’d developed sudden-onset bladder cancer. After a few tense moments I solved the puzzle…

Yeah…the panic really kicks in whenever you can’t remember eating the pickled beets in the first place due to temporary alcohol induced amnesia.

BP through the roof, I can tell ya!