Diet Coke and Keto

Some people drink kombucha :rofl:

(Marianne) #22

My husband likes that, too.

depends on you. some can Keto out all the time and do fab on diet drinks but for me, that aspartame is death and misery. I got heart PVCs and that stuff was what was nailing me to the wall. Drank ‘diet pepsi’ forever and had years of issues til I went and did heart cath, treadmill ekg, heart monitor and more and I inhaled that stuff like crazy and in the end, I dumped it and boom, healthy as a horse after it so…be you on it and yes, bad manufactured crap is just that but some do ok, some must dump and find health so best for ya on your way forward.

one thing…REAL FOOD…key to life…so is diet soda real life, out on a plant, being harvested, being meat or veg or ???..all processed useless crap in our lives maybe?

but in the end who are ya and what ya want best for you.

Real food is key on any good ol’ healthy change but many keep booze, many keep some fake sugar and many do whatever floats their best boat so it is decision time for you on how ya wanna roll and what your body tells ya!

I put 2 things in my front 2 worst ever crap in life…cereal and diet drinks now HAHA you find your worst crap to continue for yourself :sunny:

I’ll tell you a true and embarrassing story. Don’t ever use it against me! And it’s true- even if there are others similar whaich i haven’t seen.

Innocent enough, I came home after a night out with mates on the ‘pish’ as we call it.
Blocked, mangled, 3 sheets to the wind…glad to be dropped off by taxi on this Friday late night to hit my pit.
Sure enough, as soon as I get in, you start risk assesing…I need fluids, sustanance, a protective dog even! Before going to sleep…
Because Heaven forbid you have to get up again in the next few hours unless to use the toilet!
(I was off Saturday).
So naturally head to the fridge, and being the risk averse person I am, decide not to cook in case I fall asleep.
So I literally down a jar of pickled beetroot.
Not quick time, but fairly quick.
Then I got some hydration and headed to my kip.
I got up with a hazy head next day/few hours later.
Headed to the a toilet at some point.
I felt fine, until turned around to flush.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Near phoned the ambulance straight away.
Complete bowl was red. Thought I was bleeding out (more than normal, lol).
But yeah, got down stairs and saw the empty pickled beetroot jar. Phew!

(Robin) #25

Oh yes, beets have given this old post menopausal lady a fright!

Just glad you made it home ok.

(Cheryl Meyers) #26

I heard about using 1 tsp balsamic vinegar in sparkling water with artificial sweetener over ice, and was really surprised at how tasty it was. I tried it this morning in my intermittent fast window, added a tsp of chia seeds too. There is a bit of sweetness in balsamic vinegar, so YMMV when it comes to this one.
I don’t test my blood ketones or glucose, instead my gauge is whether I start to feel hunger pangs within an hour or so. A sure sign that my insulin spiked… I didn’t get any after that drink so will likely add it.
I love diet coke but it does trigger those hunger pangs sometimes, so don’t drink it so much any more. A rare treat now.

Of course, tastes differ. But vinegars do too! I very much dislike apple cider vinegar and can’t use balsamic as it’s insanely sugary but certain vinegars are tasty enough. But I am a huge vinegar fan :wink: I ate mustard from the tube, all alone and enjoyed the hell out of it too.
Pickle juice is very different, that’s another level over certain dishes with vinegar (as even I wasn’t savage enough to have vinegar only in water :smiley: that’s what lemon juice is for if you ask me. vinegar went into my soups and stuff… soups no one puts vinegar into but me).
Pickles make the juice awesome. Too bad it contains sugar practically always (or sweetener I guess but that’s even much worse for me as it tastes horrible), making it way too sweet. Well, more than a decade with almost no added sugar does things to one’s sweetness perception and preference. But the pickle juice with a ton of vinegar in it is good to pickle my eggs. And I still drink some juice too (the vinegar quickly enters the eggs so the juice isn’t too vinegar-y then).

But vinegar drinks are nothing like sweet carbonated drinks. I definitely couldn’t replace one with the other.

By the way, canned beetroot makes the funniest looking pickled eggs, I just hardly can drink the juice as it’s so very sugary, it troubles me. I never liked sugar NOT in sweets.
Now I can’t stand sweetening in my drinks (apart from a little whipped cream. it contains lactose making it sweet but not overly so), how things changed :slight_smile:

It’s so interesting some of the folks here can drink sweetened drinks, I lost that ability AGES ago. I remember some party many years ago when I totally wanted to taste Coca-Cola again. Never was a big fan but found the taste interesting. Well that was sugary but doesn’t matter. It was completely undrinkable but I could handle it if I put 10 times as much carbonated water into it. Or more.

It seems some people don’t get this sweetness perception changes. My family members all got it just by stopping consuming added sugar (well a tiny bit remained). Even if they kept eating a lot of sugar (natural sugar), they needed a fragment of sweetening in sweets (just like me. until carnivore it was the same level for all of us: borderline low-carber with diabetes, high-carber eating fruits all the time, me who went between keto and more proper low-carb all the time). I can’t imagine any of us could handle “normally” sweet drinks now and if we make sweets, it’s always waaaay less sweeter than the “normal” ones.
I think these changes are the norm but people are different.

(Marianne) #28

Hahaha! Good story!

Okay, you used three words I don’t know. Can you define, please:

pish - is that “out on the town”?
pit - is that “home”?
kip - is that “bed”?

:laughing::joy::rofl::hugs:

(Marianne) #29

Me, too, although all I had was white vinegar. I really enjoyed it and will drink it every day now. Going to get some ACV because I think it’s good for you somehow.

‘On the pish’, translates to ‘On the piss (literally urine)’, which translates to 'On the alcohol (in this case locally knicknamed pish/piss (alcohol especially beer makes you pish lol).
Some poor beverages also taste like pish, or so I’m told lol.
Pit translates to bed.
Kip translates sleep and/or bed e.g.
‘I’m going for a kip’ means I’m going for a sleep or knap.
‘I’m hitting my kip’ means I’m hitting my bed (for a sleep).

(Alex) #31

in what language?

English, with a Northern Irish dialect!

(Marianne) #33

Love it, dude! Thanks for the lesson.

:laughing:

(Marianne) #34

I think in the States that might be translated, “let’s go out drinkin’”, “we’re goin’ drinkin,” or “wanna go drinkin’?”

Let’s go out on the pish!

i.e. A good night out drinking, usually pub crawling, after a hard week’s work.

Also see:

Let’s go out on the lash!

(Exactly the same thing…pish=piss=lash)

Glad to educate :smiley:

(Marianne) #37

(Marianne) #38

Hee hee! :laughing:

Exactly the same thing…pish=piss=lash)

Now…be careful.
‘Slash’, a commonly used tem for a piss/pish/lash…can never be used as an alternative for ‘going for a drink etc.’

It wouldn’t be right.

‘Slash’ is reserved solely and for literally, taking a slash (urinating), and nothing to do with beer drinking.

This is word.

Nobody would say over here, unless they’re disturbed, ‘Let’s go out on the slash.’

That’s just wrong. It’s sound like breakdancing on…well, pish tbh :D.

That slabber (person who is talking nonsense and out of order) would be slapped down (gently hit or reprimanded, not hard, but gauged on the offense), so that proceedings could again carry on quite rightly and respectfully, on the lash.