Diet Coke and Keto

(Alex) #1

I really really love Diet Coke (AKA Coke light and Coke Zero).
I watched a YouTube video that said because of the aspartame, it might increase something about resistance to insulin, but didn’t quiet understand it. I drink 2 large bottles a day on average (1.5 liters each). It has either 0 calories for Coke Zero, or less than 1 calorie for Coke light, and no sugar.
Is that really a problem on Keto?

Hi Voyager, How long have you been on a ketogenic diet? And what are your health goals? I hope you don’t mind the asking. It helps people contextualise their opinion responses.

Do you measure your fasting blood glucose and blood ketones? It looks like you have an n=1 experiment to test and see what 3 litres of that drink does in terms of ketogenesis.

(Alex) #3

Hi. It’s been almost a month now. Total weight loss 2.5KG
My health goals is to loose weight and reverse my pre diabatic (Type II) condition.

I measure my blood glucose, but not my ketones, as I haven’t found a suitable machine where I live, but I will get one sooner or later.
Thanks!

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep going. Well done.

You can, if you like, see what happens to your blood glucose in response to drinking some “diet” drink. I used to test foods (craving foods) by taking a starting blood glucose test, then having a dose of the dietary item (food or drink), then take another blood glucose test each half-an-hour until two hours. By then blood glucose should be back to around normal (<100mg/dl). It’s an interesting thing to try and satisfies curiosity cravings.

(Alex) #5

Thanks. I’ll give it a try tomorrow. I hope it goes well, giving up my only treat (diet coke) would really be sad for me.

I too was a diet coke lover. I’m T2d, diagnosed about 8 months ago. For me all the artificial sugars, stevia, etc. spike my glucose levels. As I eliminated sugar from my diet, I found coke was one of the easiest things to give up. It happened after a few months.

While I still think wistfully about ice cream and cinnamon raisin muffins. I no longer want diet soda.

I don’t crave any of what once were my favorite foods. I’ve come to love a squirt of lemon juice in water or tea. It is so refreshing.

I think for now keep the soda, if that is the only sweet thing you eat or drink, your body will naturally move away from it.

(Alex) #7

Yes, I don’t even eat fruits and only a few types of veggies.
0 Sugar. My carb intake daily is less than 20 g.
I’m basically living on protein and fat with some veggies.
I hope I don’t get a heart attack, I worry about this when I eat so much meat and fat, but from what I’ve read, I shouldn’t worry.

(Marianne) #8

I love diet pop, too, and find it so delicious. The “zero” brands (Coke, Fanta Orange, root beer, etc.) are particularly good. I just asked virtually the same question. Seems like it is not the best choice we could make but a toss up and personal decision. Myself, I am going to try to limit my consumption to one or two cans a day (less if I can), and make sure I am drinking enough water. @FrankoBear suggested sparkling water with a little vinegar and lemon/lime juice. I don’t know if that will do it, but I’m willing to give it a try. Vinegar is supposed to be a good supplement to incorporate.

(Marianne) #9

:clap::clap::clap: Love this!

(Alex) #10

Seriously? Vinegar takes like c**p! I can’t imagine going from coke zero to water with vinegar, But maybe it will become normal for me soon. :thinking:

(Marianne) #11

I don’t think you have anything to worry about - actually, it is the people who are eating carbage, processed food, sugar and polyunsaturated fats (in everything) that should be worried! We ketoers have discovered the pathway to optimal health. Keep eating your meat and natural fats.

(Marianne) #12

Please, tell us how you really feel! :rofl::joy::innocent:

I agree if you take a swig of it right out of the bottle. :laughing: Maybe just a capful, however, in a glass of sparkling water with lemon juice would be mind blowing! I’m curious and going to give it a shot. I’ll keep you posted! Imagine if it were delicious!

(Alex) #13

try it ASAP and let us know! :grin:

(Marianne) #14

Gotta go to the grocery store today to get some HWC. Will pick up some sparkling water and lemon and let you know. I have a good feeling about this! (although I don’t really like sparkling water or vinegar…)

I have a taste for vinegar- be it balsamic, ACV, malt or other types.

I actually drink the (vinegar) juice of pickled mussels, cockles, silverskin onions, other pickles etc.

I’m a freak- I have no idea if this is bad for me or not…I must look into it just to be sure.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

The evidence to suggest that too much saturated fat in the diet causes heart disease is shaky, at best, intentionally fallacious at worst. The famous study, done by one of the professionals who treated Dwight Eisenhower’s coronary heart disease, gathered data from 22 countries, but reported only on the 7 that fit the curve the researcher wanted to prove. But even in those 7 countries, there was an even stronger association between sugar and coronary heart disease. And while the correlation between saturated fat intake and coronary heart disease is non-existent over all 22 countries, the sugar correlation is just as strong.

But for some reason, the researcher in question dismissed the correlation with sugar. It turns out, from published internal memos of the Sugar Research Foundation, that this researcher had several friends who were, at the time, being paid to minimise the risks of eating sugar and to badmouth fat intake instead. Draw from that what conclusions you will. The researcher and his buddies managed to get into prominent positions in the American Heart Association, the U.S. Government, and the Harvard School of Public Health, with a consequent powerful ability to enforce their agenda.

There is a separate strand of resistance to eating meat that comes ultimately from the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, which believes that meat-eating excites the libido and should therefore be avoided in favour of the more spiritual vegan diet. John Harvey Kellogg was an early disciple, and he invented the breakfast cereal industry precisely in order to provide people with vegetarian alternatives to bacon, steak, and eggs for breakfast.

(Marianne) #17

I tried a capful of white vinegar in a “mixed berry” seltzer yesterday. I have to say, I enjoyed it! Nothing comparable to diet pop, however, it was surprisingly tasty. I could faintly taste the vinegar, but it was good instead of off-putting and refreshing. Another good drink to sip like a highball in a tall glass with ice. Normally, I just drink pop out of the can. Today I will try two capfuls and see if that is too much. Next time I go shopping, I will pick up some ACV. I also have some balsamic vinegar that I will try.

I think @FrankoBear is on to something.

(BuckRimfire) #18

I may be a wacko, but I like to drink pickle brine straight out of the jar. Seems like one can get used to almost anything!

(Edith) #19

I’ve been keto for five years and drank Diet Coke for 4.5 of them. Keeping my electrolyte levels up/balanced has been a challenge for me on keto. Since I gave up Diet Coke, I’ve had an easier time of it and haven’t needed to supplement as much. I believe the Diet Coke, which went right through me, was flushing out my electrolytes.

(Alex) #20

I hadn’t thought of that. I bet get some supplements ASAP.