Diet Alone Is Not Enough

(KM) #1

So here we go again. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/13/well/move/exercise-diet-disease.html

“Health food or exercise alone isn’t enough to prevent chronic disease, new research shows.”

People who ate a “healthy diet” and didn’t exercise, and people who exercised but ate something other than the supposed “healthy diet” developed chronic disease and died at the same rate.

So what was “a healthy diet”?

"high-quality diets had at least 4.5 cups of fruit and vegetables per day, two or more servings of fish per week, less than two servings of processed meats per week and no more than five servings of red meat per week. The study did not measure discretionary foods like soft drinks or desserts".

So basically eat any garbage you want as long as it’s plant based, and, big surprise, you’re not going to live longer unless you also exercise.

Not to say exercise isn’t healthful and important for overall well being, but thank you for more useless research once again defining “a healthy diet” as whatever you want it to be, experts.

It’s SO FRUSTRATING that a low-hanging data addition charting all the carbage consumed that could have been used to damn glucose-ridden junk was once again categorically ignored in favor of head scratching over why “healthy” diet doesn’t work. Right. And apparently I can’t avoid car accidents by eating a healthy diet - and five shots of whiskey with every meal, which oddly has been deemed irrelevant. Aaargh.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #2

So I’ve been doing it wrong this whole time. :thinking:

(KM) #3

Yes, it’s also a mystery why your austerity budget isn’t working out, when you decided to exclude your Ferrari payment because it caused problems. :roll_eyes:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #4

I don’t know a word you just said, but one thing I do know is that I’m more of a McLaren girl, myself. :innocent: