Did you jump into keto? Did you tip toe? How did it work for you?

(Jason Fletcher) #1

I have been Keto since 2014. When first started the diet i did not know what i was doing and and my carbs were at about 100 to 50 grams. This made adaption hell it took me weeks before i figured out that i had to drop my carbs but once i did i have been keto since. I have noticed from friends who want to try keto always want to slowly get into it over time, It has been about 10 people who told me they did not want to just jump in but to go slow. Because of my experience I tell them there is no way in hell you want to do that and that it is all are nothing approach. I am driven for others to do this WOE right. I do not want to see others fail at it because they approached it wrong. I was wonder how others here who are now KETO got into it. Did you jump in? Or did you try to ease into keto? What was your experience and how did you feel.

I jumped right into it. I had done so much research and listened to so many of the Two Keto Dudes Podcast that I was pumped to start. Honestly, the adaption was unnoticeable for me, and after 2 months I have not had a carb craving yet.

(Bart) #3

I jumped right in and was hit with a TERRIBLE keto flu. Though I did not know anything about keto or the keto flu, I was simply cutting carbs out for a medical reason. When the keto flu hit me I assumed I simply caught a cold or the flu. Later I realized what it was. lol

(eat more) #4

i literally woke up one day and started without a “plan” or overthinking (very unlike me lol)

I jumped right in. :sunglasses: I had followed a dude for many years who writes the market-ticker.org (NOT a Keto focused website). He went KETO several years back reclaiming his health. He regularly blasts the establishment for pushing the SAD that needlessly maims and kills so many. Every now and then he blasts people for destroying their own health with SAD.

Anyway, I got a wake up call in March of last year and from the knowledge I had gained from reading his site started KETO cold turkey that day. Best thing I have ever done other than marry my sweetheart & birthed our 3 sons.

(Not Weak) #6

I feel like I am in between. I had done some research first and received some suggestions but I wasn’t overly thrilled. It was hard as we didn’t want to waste food we had and didn’t necessarily understand the ‘stay under 20 carbs’ as well as the total vs net carbs. We struggled to stay under 50 total carbs at first (couldn’t let go of some of the things we loved).
I feel like you can tell people why you feel like easing in is not wise, but everyone will go in at their own pace. I feel like for us, we didn’t really get the Keto flu. Whether we were lucky or because we eased in, I can’t say for sure.

(Keto in Katy) #7

Did some research so I knew what I was going to do, then just started one day.

(Jennifer) #8

Cold turkey. Keto flu lasted 5 days and then I found Obesity Code and added fasting a couple weeks later.

I started with LCHF, and then keto afterwards. I thought I was doing it cold turkey, but screwed up…it took several mistakes that I had to overcome, when I thought I was doing keto correctly. So, the intention was to do it cold turkey, but in reality, it took time to learn to do it right.

(Jaidann) #10

I had been doing CICO for about 2 months. I was starving. Or thought I was anyway. I started researching why and stumbled upon Keto. At first I thought everyone had lost their minds! What is this no bread, no pasta, very little fruit stuff! Read more and more on it and October 3, 2016 I jumped in with both feet! Little did I know how great some of the side benefits of this way of eating were for me at the time!

(Michelle) #11

jumped in two feet, but did a ton of research 2 months prior.

(Jacquie) #12

I had been low carb (Protein Power) for many years then paleo, primal, Whole30 and then keto, which wasn’t too difficult as I was part of a very small supportive group of women. I was lucky enough to come upon a small group of women on fb where the mod was savy in testing BG and ketones and information was science based, so I had a good foundation re keto. I was surprised to find I was pre-diabetic even though I was at goal weight. Starchy carbs, fruit and high protein spiked my BG. I’ve been keto over 2.5 yrs. and have great BG #'s now. I’m keto for life! :slight_smile:

(Arlene) #13

I have been LCHF on and off for a few years. I say on and off because when I allow myself a “fun food” meal, it ends up being months of nothing but fun foods, ie JUNK FOODS. After being on a junk food holiday bender in November/December, and once again reaching a high scale weight again, I decided to give Keto a try. Keto is basically the same as LCHF, it’s just more finely tuned. Whenever I wonder if I’m doing the right thing, I just think what a normal diet would be if there were no stores. Eating proteins and veggies is the only thing that makes sense. Fruits do not grow for most of the year. Proteins would be the most satiating and sustaining. Veggies would only add a little variety. I love eating this way. No cravings, no guilt, no weight gain, no worrying about buying new, larger clothes again. Keto is the answer, for sure!

I eased in. Not intentionally. Just more of an evolution.
I have been intermittent fasting for almost 5 years (daily, anywhere between 20/4 and 16/8, depending on the day and how I feel). I found that this was quite a natural and comfortable way for me to eat, despite having a high carb diet at the time.
I then went low carb 3 years ago (initially aimed for 20g carbs but no protein restriction. Carbs probably inched up to 50 g over time.) , and maintaining the IF too. Never had the carb flu- probably the IF had trained my metabolism to be flexible. To a degree.
Anyway, I found I was slowly putting on weight (5-6 kg on a 165 cm small frame) over the last 2 years (combo of advancing age (53 yo female), too much protein, too many carbs, giving up distance running and heavy weight lifting due to injury).
So, I decided a month ago to bite the bullet and go keto. Dropped the carbs to 20g net, and protein to 60g. I fell into ketosis almost immediately (measured with blood ketones). Still maintaining IF. Again no keto flu. Presumably still fat adapting but feeling well and energetic most of the time. Wish me luck.