Did I blow my fast altogether?

Have been LC/MP/MF with IF and a few EF for several months now (and have lost 42 pounds since April 8). I also adhere to most Keto tenets.

I was/am on 4-5 day water-only fast for insulin and hopefully autophagy. But tonight at hour 74 I started to feel just a bit off with a stiff neck/very mild headache and then a chill with barely noticeable trembling.

My BG had been steadily dropping to the mid 70s during the fast. But when I checked it upon noting the symptoms, my BG had dipped to 55. I read here that such readings are normal on EF but to watch for weird feelings.

I wasn’t panicked but concerned I might be overdoing it for a w/m, 68 y/o. I took some Himalayan Pink Salt and had been carefully watching my electrolytes. But to ensure safety I ate about 2-3 ounces (at most) of Gouda cheese. It seemed to do the trick and the shakes stopped and headache went away.

Ok, now the theory is that since I ingested some protein is that I both broke the water fast and halted autophagy. Right? So should I continue on with this as a fat fast for two more days or just re-feed today and then embark on a new fast later?

I lost 4.5 lbs on the 3-day water fast, by the way. IF (20/4 and 22/4) and 3-day fasts have been the only way I can drop weight and keep it at bay.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #2

It’s entirely up to you.
I would say that yes ingesting the cheese, because of the protein may stop autophagy.

Im on hour 68 and I am feeling the same, considering breaking it so I can enjoy food with a family member who has come to stay with us.
I will probably just refeed for a few days and start another fast next week.
But like I said, it’s all dependent on you, it’s a science experiment after all :slight_smile:

(Allie) #3

Could well have been your body telling you that you needed to break the fast.

Decided to continue “fast” for several more hours as a fat fast of sorts until 6 p.m. which would complete a 4-day fast. Only intake would be the 2-ounce cheese emergency feeding last night and two tablespoons of HWC in coffee (no sweetener) this morning.

Don’t want to lose insulin benefits of this fast.

FBG was back up to 64 this a.m. (up from 55 last night when I got the shakes) with another pound of weight loss. So I seem good to go until this evening where a ribeye and broccoli with cheese sauce awaits.

(Doug) #5

Good deal, Ben. I find one fast will differ substantially from another one. Over all, they get easier over time, but you never know…

(Mike W.) #6

Personally when I break a fast, I BREAK a fast. I feel jumping back into another one immediately confuses my body. What is the gain from extending? Definitely sounds like your body was done with this one and wants to eat.