Developed Rosacea possibly from keto?

Hi all, I am MOSTLY eating a keto diet for the past 9 weeks (a few cheat days sprinkled in but otherwise super strict) and i have a new “rash” on my face that a dermatologist immediately pinpointed as rosacea. Could this be brought on (brought out??) by keto? Anyone have this happen to them as well? And if so, how did you supress it?

(Lonnie Hedley) #2

There are LOTS of triggers.

https://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/coping/tripwires.php

(Bethany) #3

I agree with above, rosacea could triggered by anything. Some people do get a rash more related to keto, dubbed the ‘keto rash’ - I think the medical term is prurigo pigmentosa.

I’ve looked into all of the causes and such for rosacea, however I was wondering how it would be specifically tied to Keto. It seems to be a side effect of low-carb eating for some people and I was wondering if anyone had powered through and had it diminish with time. I’ve also read about the “keto rash” and it does not look or feel like the facial garbage I am now dealing with. The doctor told me all about the stress, alcohol, sun, heat, blah, blah, blah… and I’ve read these things ad nauseam. Keto has also not yeilded any energy, mental clarity or weight loss for me in the over 2 months I’ve been “at it”. I was more wondering if this was maybe just not right for me? :frowning: :pensive:

(Lonnie Hedley) #5

I was diagnosed with Rosacea over a decade before Keto so mine is not caused by Keto specifically. I started following an elimination diet to see if I could pinpoint my personal issue. I’m down to only eating beef, bacon, eggs, butter, and some dairy. I’ll be cutting dairy in the next couple days. Other factors could include hot sauce and coffee. Dairy will go this week followed by the hot sauce then the coffee. I do cool showers and cold coffee. Everyone is different so I think n=1 experimentation is required to get to the cause. I know gut health is very important and plays a role in how your exterior looks. Hot sauce is likely the culprit, but I enjoy using it so I’m dropping dairy first.

(Bethany) #6

Dang - I wish there were easier answers to addressing rosacea. It does look like focusing on gut health and addressing SIBO may be more promising than the usual list they give.

Sounds like you’ve done a lot of research on the rosacea issue and are motivated to find a solution. Keep at it and don’t give up! And take it easy on yourself in the process.

There are a lot of different ways to do keto. It may just be that the approach to keto you are taking now (certain foods, specific macro ratio, electrolytes etc.) doesn’t work for you. Maybe it’s worth looking over these things to find what works best for you?

(Bethany) #7

Just found this thread on the forum: https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/rosacea/3487

Oh man! That sounds like a lot of work on your part. I hear you with the hot sauce. If it comes down to those few things I’m in trouble because I love coffee and dairy too!!! Thanks for the response. I am thinking of cutting the dairy (God help me) and seeing if this has an effect. It’s really the only thing I e greatly increased on keto. I’ve always been pretty thin and are relatively healthy. Good luck!

Thanks for the insight. I am not sure what macros would be ideal for me on Keto. I’ve never really thought about it over the past few months until I started reading keto clarity by jimmy more. He does talk about how everyone has different macro tolerances. In addition to cutting dairy for a while I may play with my macros too

(Lonnie Hedley) #10

I’ve always been pretty lean too. A couple of years ago I put on a few lbs and dropped them really quick by dropping carbs. I now weigh less than I did in high school. I feel great mentally and physically, but then there’s some issues on my face. There are 4 types of Rosacea. Mine is the one where I have incredibly painful sores. If it was the type where my face is red I wouldn’t care, but it’s the pain I’m trying to resolve. Tetra/doxy/minocycline antibiotics resolve the issue, but I don’t want to be on antibiotics all the time. I don’t drink alcohol because I know I have issues when I do. So I’m down to eliminating food to see if I can get some relief. I have half a pack of cream cheese and a little bit of HWC left before cutting out dairy. I’m also using Purple Emu redness and blemish cream. The last time my face cleared up I was using it so I’m hoping it’s also helping. I had also given up hot sauce…so I really need to give it up, but a couple days ago I bought some sambal oelek and really want to enjoy some since I just bought it.

(Rocky B) #11

I have had Rosacea for years thanks to genetics from my mom’s side of the family. Through elimination experiments I’ve discovered HWC causes flare ups in the form of small pimples in the red rash area so that wonderful fat is crossed off my Keto list. I also induced a flare up with a known trouble maker, chocolate (90%) just a couple days ago. I knew better but I wanted it and accepted the consequences. It will need to stay a very rare treat.
The biggest trigger for me has always been stress. How’s your life going?

(GINA ) #12

Getting off gluten, even before low carb, got rid of mine.

I saw three different dermatologists and not one of them suggested it could be a food. I tried probably 7-8 creams that did almost nothing. I could keep it tamped down with daily antibiotics, but it never fully went away until I went gluten free.

You probably aren’t eating gluten, but you are on the right track eliminating things.

(Lonnie Hedley) #13

I have a couple tablespoons left then I’ll be dropping HWC and cream cheese. Those are my only dairy at the moment. I did have a piece of 100% unsweetened chocolate a few days ago. I use lots of hot sauce. I drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day. These are all the things I will eventually eliminate until I figure out which if not all are causing the issue. The alternative is the antibiotics that make me feel nauseous so I’m going to pass on those and find out which food really is to blame.

Thank you all for the insight. I guess I was expecting my keto journey to heal me
Of any ailment I may have dormant and give me super powers :joy:
I am going to get a third opinion (one dr said dermatitis and this last Dr said rosacea). I was under the impression that it took a while to clear rosacea and in one day I had marked clearing of my skin. The doxycycline made me so nauseous but the metrogel alone seemed to work and quick! I will definitely look into that purple cream!!!

(Lonnie Hedley) #15

For one, doctors are just making educated guesses then tossing pills at the problem hoping one will work (out of 6 or more dermatologists, only 2 said rosacea, but they all prescribed medication). Two, I can attest to the cycline antibiotics working, but they take time. They should also be taken on an empty stomach which completely destroys your microbiome which I believe is probably part of the cause in the first place. I’ve been able to clear my skin earlier this year without medication so I know it’s possible. I know I gave up hot sauce, and figure I’ll have to do it again. Finding out what food is causing the issue is worth the hassle to me compared to popping pills (even if they’re “just” antibiotics).

(Brandy) #16

About a month in to Ketosis I developed a rash on my face similar to what you’ve described. My dermatologist too diagnosed rosacea and prescribed Finacea cream. The cream made it worse, with angry, hot & itchy welts. Prednisone took the swelling down but after the round of that, the rash returned. Washing my face with warm to hot water and with my usual facial cleanser also seemed to aggravate it. So, I began washing my face with cool water only and using cleansers and moisturizers that contained no fragrance. This helped the aggravation immensely.

I then visited an allergist, who conducted a prick test and then blood tests for food allergies. I was certain they’d find an allergy to nuts, dairy, or eggs, as my consumption of those foods had increased ten fold since beginning a ketogenic WOE. He was unconvinced, as the rash only presented on my face and sure enough, all tests came back negative for food allergies.

Then I had an epiphany- maybe this was the Keto rash everyone had been describing! The rash on my face went away in its own with time- and while I’m positive it was the Keto rash, I have no way of actually knowing.

So now I’m four months in- and the face rash has never returned, but I’ve developed a full blown Keto rash on my back and torso. It is exactly the same in appearance and feel to what I had on my face previously. I think it’s exacerbated by the warmer turn in the weather. I’ve tried ACV, both topically and internally. A little relief, but no cure. I’ve tried oregano essential oil, both topically and internally. Same thing- relief but no cure. Today I started with Ox bile, digestive enzymes and B-12. We’ll see how it goes.

The point to all of this is- I don’t think you have Rosacea. I think you’ve got the Keto rash. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Interestingly, my sister just started Keto a couple of weeks ago, she has had rosacea for years, now it’s almost gone. Go figure.

I listened to an episode of The Obesity Code podcast, it was one of the Q&A episodes, Megan spoke about a protocol they used on their patience, they had them eat a cup of raspberries a day along with ACV, each week the reduced the amount until it completely cleared up. If I find it again I will direct you to the episode.

@Prncespms FYI

I have absolutely the same situation and only carbs clears my skin totally. I don’t know what to do… I’ve returned into ketosis the day before yesterday and today I already got small pimples around my nose. Cold water face washing, alkaline warm water to drink, pancreatin before every meal (I eat 3 times a day now) and no wine…

(Fernando Urias) #20

Eureka!

Minute 23:30 has Megan Ramos prescription for keto rash using apple cider vinegar and berries.