Developed Rosacea possibly from keto?

I’m having the same exact issues!!! I’ve been doing keto over a week now and my blood ketones are 1.5-2 and I’m following the diet. I’ve had mild rosacea but my face has lost it. To the point I stopped the diet for now and the skin has doubled down on trouble

(Carl Keller) #22

@Crystal1 There are some suggestions there. Hope it helps you.

(Betsy) #23

Do you take biotin? Ketogenic diet creates need for more biotin, and biotin deficiency can be related to skin issues.

Ketogenic diet can cause a deficiency in someone who is borderline deficient because it’s needed for gluconeogenesis. That explains why carbs clear up the keto rash.

Thank you!

I take a biotin supplement for hair and nails but it’s a gummie so stopped it on the diet.

(Jane) #26

No need for a gummy. Get a bottle of the tablets - cheap

(Betsy) #27

The best kind is sold by Bulk supplements. You put a dash of it in your mouth, doesn’t have much of a taste. It works much better than capsules or tablets that are cut with other substances.

(Bunny) #28

My Opinion About the Cause of Rosacea?

The Real Reason for Rosacea: In this video, Dr. Berg talks about Rosacea. Rosacea is when your cheeks becomes really red that it looks like there’s a broken blood vessels. There is a huge connection between rosacea and SIBO or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. SIBO is a situation where the bacteria is; should be in the large colon but is growing in the small intestine. He also talks about the main problem of SIBO which is Malnutrition.

What NOT to do:

1. Adding Probiotic – You already have too many microbes.
  2. Adding Fiber – These microbes in the small intestine eat fiber.

What SHOULD you do:

1. Smaller Vegetables – Cut down the amount of vegetables that you are consuming.
  2. Clove, Oregano, Garlic – These are great natural antibiotic
  3. Intermittent Fasting – There are certain process that happens between the meals that goes to the gut and cleanse any residue of food and particles and pushed it down into the digestive tract into the large bowel.
  4. Apple Cider Vinegar (and Betaine Hydrochloride) – One of the most important thing to do is to acidify the stomach because these microbes can’t live in an acid environment. One of the cause of SIBO is low stomach acid.

Cause of Low Stomach Acid:
• Antibiotics
• Anti-acids
• Junk Food
• Too much Baking Soda

I had a bad Rosacea flare up on keto
(Vladaar Malane) #29

I recommend also switching to goat milk soap. I buy it off amazon, canus lavendar soap, or non-scented.

(Sarah ) #30

Rosacea is an inflamatory disorder so keto would help rather than hinder it. It could be one of many triggers. I use apple cider vinegar as a toner ( straight onto a cotton ball) around the red zone and it helps enormously

(Vicky) #31

I’ve been on keto for over a month and have developed rosacea so is it the diet that has brought it on because when I wasn’t on keto my face was clear not red?

(Vicky) #32

I’ve been on the keto diet a month and all of a sudden my face had turned into a rash its this keto diet I believe ,my doctor told me to try cetaphil and all it did is set my face on fire,if anybody has this happening to them or it cured please tell me what u did.

(Carl Keller) #33

Vicky have you tried the suggestions on the Healthline article above, most notably trying to increase your carbs? And once the rash goes away, slower lower your carbs and make sure you are getting the nutrients that the article suggests.

If none of that quickly improves your condition, I suggest you start a new thread in the Health section. This old thread may not get much attention and your request for info is likely to go unnnoticed here. I do hope you find something or someone that can help you soon.

(Vicky) #34

Thank you I will look on that .

(Fernando Urias) #35

I bought this over the counter medicine at HEB and it worked after using it for a few days:

PROSACEA

(Fernando Urias) #36

I also use the following soap in my face. It is balanced to a ph of 5.5, which is the ph of the skin. Some inexpensive soaps are very alkaline and irritate the skin.

(Bunny) #37

A pubmed paper about niacin:

[1] An update on the treatment of rosacea

[2] New Study Identifies Cause Of Flushing

(Gilbert Abdo) #38

hello. - i m on keto to reduce my insulin resistance and i have great results with that
however like you i developped rosacea

did you find a solution?