Develop a “test” of your “keto”

thinkingoutloud

(less is more, more or less) #102

@juice although narrative responses are more difficult to automatically parse, those are precisely what I was thinking, at that level.

@NinMD your questions are fantastic, if too advanced for the neophyte. There are several that us old-timers would also hold a spirited debate over. I’m thinking the essential points we all agree on.

Quite UNLIKE “CICO and Watermelon are fab keto items” :wink:

(less is more, more or less) #103

“Waiter? One each with a side of butter.” Would be my answer. :wink:

(less is more, more or less) #104

Building an interactive quiz isn’t terrible difficult, especially with third-party solutions we might be able to leverage, like Qualtrics. As I mention early, parsing a narrative response is another matter. T/F, Multiple Choice are trivial to implement. (I’m in software development)

(Running from stupidity) #105

Yeah, I did have that in mind at the time, I will admit :slight_smile:

(Jennifer) #106

What about using Survey Monkey? I guess now would be a good time to tell you all that I’m a data analyst. Let’s nerd this shit out. Collect all the data! Analyze all the things! LOL. :joy: :laughing: :nerd_face:

(less is more, more or less) #107

Awesome. As I see it, and as experience is bearing out, the questions and question format are a higher hurdle to clear. I think I’m seeing a consensus form. SM is an excellent tool we can use, too.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #108

Yes, I agree. Also, we will undoubtedly have people that don’t cook, and may be living off fast food. We have to think of the questions from all perspectives, really dumb it down. Then, once they get started, they can either go into the subject more deeply on their own, or not. But at least they will be knowledgeable about what to eat.

(TJ Borden) #110

I’d drink it, then count it. Melted butter that you just cooked mushrooms in is DELICIOUS. :laughing:

(less is more, more or less) #111

It can be done; but the standard deviation of accuracy is very likely too broad for science, irrelevant to followers of Ansel Keys, but sufficient for we lay people to paint a broad picture of one’s daily intake. Regardless, I don’t agree we should insist that newbies track everything they eat, I prefer the “Eat these only, to this amount, per day” lists. Easily manageable for the neophyte. As I said early, neophytes should know where and how to look nutrition info up, even on misleading packaging.

(Running from stupidity) #112

I DREAM of 300g of mushrooms! But as TJ said, you eat the stuff.

Is your plan to only eat the one meal out of several? If not, you eventually get the lot.

I’d keep it as simple as possible. If not, do the best you can, ask the chef, and guestimate.

Look, this is for beginners. The above is insane levels of micromanaging.

And expecting a newbie to get a blood meter? The idea is NOT to drive them away at the very beginning.

(TJ Borden) #113

I don’t measure anything so I have zero concept of what 300 grams of mushrooms looks like.

(Running from stupidity) #114

It looks like 6.5g carbs, that’s what it looks like :slight_smile:

(TJ Borden) #115

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: yeah, that helps.

(Running from stupidity) #116

BUMP.

I mean, TJ was here when we last visited this :frowning:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #117

“What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?”

(Running from stupidity) #118

“What do you mean, an African or a European swallow?”

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #119

Carbohydrate as a percentage of caloric intake is irrelevant. The way to lower insulin is to eat under our carbohydrate threshold, which is not a percentage, but an absolute amount, because it relates to the resulting level of glucose in our bloodstream.

The idea is to eat in such a way as to keep the rises in insulin level as low as possible, and since carbohydrate is what spikes insulin the most, that is what needs to be the most under control. The limit is going to be a variable percentage, depending on our caloric intake. For example, 80 calories is 6.7% of a 1200-calorie diet, but only 2.9% of a 2800-calorie diet. Five percent of the latter intake is 140 calories of carbohydrate, or 35 grams, which may or may not be above my threshold.

There is one case mentioned in the literature, of a corporate executive whose company physician had put him on a low-carb diet. I don’t know what his carb threshold actually was, but apparently he was so insulin-resistant that an extra apple was enough to spike his insulin and cause him to gain weight. So we had better tread very carefully when we advise newcomers to these forums

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #120

Net or total?

(Running from stupidity) #121

20 net, 30 total.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #122

I don’t know. AAAAIIIIIIII!!! :rofl: