Develop a “test” of your “keto”

thinkingoutloud

(juice says call it "carb withdrawal' NOT 'keto flu" - reframe it positively) #101

I’m about the real basics to start off with :slight_smile:

(You cannot outrun a bad diet) #102

@juice although narrative responses are more difficult to automatically parse, those are precisely what I was thinking, at that level.

@NinMD your questions are fantastic, if too advanced for the neophyte. There are several that us old-timers would also hold a spirited debate over. I’m thinking the essential points we all agree on.

Quite UNLIKE “CICO and Watermelon are fab keto items” :wink:

(You cannot outrun a bad diet) #103

“Waiter? One each with a side of butter.” Would be my answer. :wink:

(You cannot outrun a bad diet) #104

Building an interactive quiz isn’t terrible difficult, especially with third-party solutions we might be able to leverage, like Qualtrics. As I mention early, parsing a narrative response is another matter. T/F, Multiple Choice are trivial to implement. (I’m in software development)

(juice says call it "carb withdrawal' NOT 'keto flu" - reframe it positively) #105

Yeah, I did have that in mind at the time, I will admit :slight_smile:

(Jennifer) #106

What about using Survey Monkey? I guess now would be a good time to tell you all that I’m a data analyst. Let’s nerd this shit out. Collect all the data! Analyze all the things! LOL. :joy: :laughing: :nerd_face:

(You cannot outrun a bad diet) #107

Awesome. As I see it, and as experience is bearing out, the questions and question format are a higher hurdle to clear. I think I’m seeing a consensus form. SM is an excellent tool we can use, too.

(Regina) #108

Yes, I agree. Also, we will undoubtedly have people that don’t cook, and may be living off fast food. We have to think of the questions from all perspectives, really dumb it down. Then, once they get started, they can either go into the subject more deeply on their own, or not. But at least they will be knowledgeable about what to eat.

(Alex N.) #109

Just to be clear, tracking macros is harder for me than most people here, for the simple fact that I live in Romania and the foods I’m eating don’t correspond well to the foods available in tracking apps like My Fitness Pall and you can’t track well using the raw foods.

For example:

• If you do 300 grams of mushrooms sauteed in 150 grams of butter, do you add the butter to your count, even if most of it will be left in the frying pan?
  • When making soup or something more complicated, the macronutrients will not be evenly distributed, so what you’ll get in your plate will not be a division of what’s in the saucepan
  • What do you do when eating out? At least restaurants in Romania aren’t required to state nutritional facts about food; plus I’ve been to the US and it’s hard there too

The reason for why I don’t like tracking macros is because I don’t believe it can be done, unless you’re carnivore or something, in which case you can simply use a kitchen counter and you’re done. For those of us that liked cooked food with veggies in it, it’s not something feasible to do, unless you buy already processed crap that has a label on it.

Yes, I now believe it is easier to test using a glucose meter — for example I could test that I can eat tomatoes without a spike in blood glucose or insulin. I can also eat diary without issues, yogurt too … I’m pretty tolerant to it, probably because I’ve eaten vast quantities of diary my whole life.

And that’s not something that tracking macros can tell you.

(TJ Borden) #110

I’d drink it, then count it. Melted butter that you just cooked mushrooms in is DELICIOUS. :laughing:

(You cannot outrun a bad diet) #111

It can be done; but the standard deviation of accuracy is very likely too broad for science, irrelevant to followers of Ansel Keys, but sufficient for we lay people to paint a broad picture of one’s daily intake. Regardless, I don’t agree we should insist that newbies track everything they eat, I prefer the “Eat these only, to this amount, per day” lists. Easily manageable for the neophyte. As I said early, neophytes should know where and how to look nutrition info up, even on misleading packaging.

(juice says call it "carb withdrawal' NOT 'keto flu" - reframe it positively) #112

I DREAM of 300g of mushrooms! But as TJ said, you eat the stuff.

Is your plan to only eat the one meal out of several? If not, you eventually get the lot.

I’d keep it as simple as possible. If not, do the best you can, ask the chef, and guestimate.

Look, this is for beginners. The above is insane levels of micromanaging.

And expecting a newbie to get a blood meter? The idea is NOT to drive them away at the very beginning.

(TJ Borden) #113

I don’t measure anything so I have zero concept of what 300 grams of mushrooms looks like.

(juice says call it "carb withdrawal' NOT 'keto flu" - reframe it positively) #114

It looks like 6.5g carbs, that’s what it looks like :slight_smile:

(TJ Borden) #115

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: yeah, that helps.