Depression with Matthew Mosca

(Jack Brien) #1

Not really an error, but Kefir is a fermented milk drink. The yeast “grains” are full of B vitamins and there’s a thriving kefir underground in the States, sharing the grains by post. They can be found on Facebook

I actually have a question about the intro to this show (which I’m halfway through and loving, as usual).

@Richard, you mentioned that you had a strong reaction to something in a nice meal and it sounds like a really specific inflammatory response. Not hidden carbs generally but something that you particularly react to (independently of the carb content). So many folks stop grains (and other stuff) at the same time as going keto for obvious reasons, and I wonder if we end up missing our specific personal reactions to certain foods. Any thoughts?
If you can sometimes go as high as 50g of carbs without negative effects, it doesn’t seem like hidden carbs per se would give you such a strong reaction especially since they must have been a relatively small quantity. I’m wondering if it could have to be something else about the foot, something that might go along with hidden carbs but not be specifically about the carb count itself that was a problem.

(Richard Morris) #3

That’s a good suggestion. I promised I’d put photos online. It really was an outstanding meal + paired with a baby grange ( Penfolds 389 Bordeaux blend ) - it’s a shame after such a nice meal I felt so ordinary.

This is the meal from https://www.npc.org.au/column-restaurant/

12-hour slow cooked pork belly | textures of quince – jelly, puree, pickles
pressed bok choy | scratchings | micro coriander (GF)

I ate the pickled quince slices, the bak choy, the puffed pork skin and the pork belly. I tasted the quince paste below the buk choy and avoided that big chunk of quince jam at the bottom of the plate.

Sage and cinnamon spiced ½ spatchcock – Southern Highlands | NSW – Pialligo bacon and mushroom cream jus

I don’t know how they de-bone that chicken so it comes out square like that but that’s seriously impressive skills. I ate everything but the beans there.

And we shared a side of

Asparagus, bok choi, gai lan and capsicum stir-fry |coconut curry| lap yuk

I suspect the curry sauce had a fair bit of palm sugar in it. And the lap yuk would have been sugar cured.

I can’t see what else among the meal would be food I have cut out of my diet for the past 3 years. Maybe the 3 small slivers of quince.

(ianrobo) #4

Loved the episode as I suffer from anxiety/depression and Matthew neatly encapsulated how Keto can help and how it impacts you as well.

@Richard, thanks for posting - and I’m stumped… I assumed there would be some more likely culprit but I can’t spot it either.

But wow, that looks like a delicious meal and it’s such a pity that you didn’t feel good afterwards!