Dentist local anesthetic affect on ketosis 🔎

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

Interesting experience over the past couple of days. I had a dental procedure done on Thursday, May 30, between 11:45 am to about 1pm. This involved injection of local anesthetic into my upper right gum on both sides of a molar. This is the first time I have had a local while in ketosis.

I’ve never had any adverse reaction to dental anesthetics in my life and I did not have any obvious reaction to this most recent episode. But I think my ketosis had a reaction.

Within an hour of completion of the dental procedure, my BrAce dropped lower than my normal range and stayed at the lower range for the next 48 hours - Jun 1 at 2 pm. It has gone up again to my normal range, but I had to give it some help by eating raw ginger last night before going to bed and eating some coconut oil today at work. I’ll see how it goes for the next couple of days.

Does anyone have any similar experience with dental local anesthesia? Or does anyone have any cited info about possible affects of local anesthesia on ketosis? Thanks.

Fat Adapted and Still Excreting Ketones in Urine: Survey :mag_right:
('Jackie P') #2

Please excuse my ignorance but what is BrAce?

(bulkbiker) #4

An odd and especially unhelpful reply as I don’t think a brace could be in “a lower range”. I’m guessing it might be a breath measurement of ketones from the context but I’ll wait for @amwassil to confirm …

(Raj Seth) #5

Aw C’mon - I put a crazy smiley on it and everything. You could criticize the joke as being poor - it was weak, I admit

(bulkbiker) #6

OK you’re forgiven but it did come across as slightly nasty…

(Raj Seth) #7

I took it out - not worth it if even a steady guy like you thought it might be snarky…
Thanks for being candid

(bulkbiker) #8

I was a bit surprised seeing who it was from… although I have been up since 5:30 am so that may have something to do with it… sorry if I was a bit forceful too…

Do you know specifically what the substance was?

I found something about different types in a study about people who have adverse reastions to some types but not others, so I think it might make a difference to how it effects ketones?

Anesthetics for local anesthesia are structurally connected by lipophilic aromatic rings and hydrophilic amine groups, with intermediary groups as the mediator [9]. Local anesthetics can be classified according to such intermediary groups–ester, amide, ketone, and others [7]

Also, came across a discussion about interaction with epilepsy medications that may work on the ketone axis somehow.

If it was Lidocaine (most common) it could be an adrenal cortisol response to the epinepherine:

Lidocaine mixed with a small amount of adrenaline (epinephrine) is available to allow larger doses for numbing, to decrease bleeding, and to make the numbing effect last longer.[4] - Wiki

And the liver has to metabolize Lidocaine as a toxin, so that might give your ketones a hit much like alcohol.

Fat Adapted and Still Excreting Ketones in Urine: Survey :mag_right:
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

Thank you @carolT I don’t know the specific anesthetic but might be able to find out Monday when the dental office is open next.

@CrackerJax BrAce is breath acetone measured by a Ketonix breathalyzer.

(Robin) #13

Hi Shane, welcome. FYI: You jumped into a very old thread that is no longer read by the original folks.
Are a currently keto?