Demotivated

newbies

I was thinking oil in the form of avocado or olive oil? In terms of creams, I, at most, add a tbsp of heavy cream or 2 tbsp of half & half to my coffee. And, sometimes some cream to my scrambled eggs - either half & half or heavy and no more than 1-2 tbsps. Looking for ways to increase my fat where I can.

My latest update is I think I am fat adapted. I’m somewhat surprised b/c it feels like 3 weeks is a pretty short period for that to happen? I could be wrong, but I planned on a 16/8 IF the day before yesterday and it turned into a 21 hour fast with no hunger at all. Today, I did eat breakfast, but easily could have skipped it. Trying to take things slow and steady and not throw everything at once at my body.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #44

I think I started to believe I was fat adapted at around that time, but as the weeks went on, things continued to happen and I’d go, NOW I’m fat adapted…no, NOW I am and so on. It’s a little over four months and NOW I really am, I swear.

Dr. Ken Berry has a nice video on Youtube where he talks about it being something that takes time and sort of evolves.

2-3 weeks is very soon(too soon to worry)…hang in there. Relax a little and just manage what you’re eating. It will come naturally. I was eating more fat at your stage (veg intake was lower proportionally). Butter and fatty meats were at an all time high on meals. I even boiled fatty meats and drank the broth and fat. I had a lot of bacon and sausages until I experienced cramping and diarrhea from the preservatives and so that had to hold for awhile. It’s also why we use fresh (fattier) meats in our regular diet now. I buttered eggs, meat and basically anything that could be heated stove top also had butter stirred in. Starting something new is exciting but it takes some getting used to.

At this stage I also didn’t know the meaning of nuts or seeds or what place it held. I’m glad for that because they would have been distractions and I really didn’t need them at that stage. I started to incorporate seeds and nuts probably about 6 months later but for variety only. They are eaten in very limited quantities and with a lot of care. This is just because I can go through a whole jar in one night!

Don’t lose hope. Keep on going and leave off that pressure you’re putting on yourself. You’ll overwhelm yourself too easily. Work on listening to your body and adjusting to what feels right and eating only what your body asks for (when it asks for fats). You don’t have to force yourself to eat. I guarantee you your 2-3x/per day meal habits will change over time and this will happen so naturally you’ll wake up one day and not even think about making a meal.(Edit: looks like you’re already experiencing changes in your appetite :wink: )

Thanks for this! Great video. I am going to try IF tomorrow again. I forced myself to eat lunch and dinner this evening so I could get to over 1,300 calories. And, that was after working out. I never thought it would be so hard to eat on keto! Mastering the types of food to eat to reach protein goals and enough fat is hard! No problem with eliminating carbs. Onwards and upwards!

(Lynn Chodur) #47

Coffee Mate powder is probably not a good idea. Use heavy cream instead. Also try to wean yourself off the sweetener, Good Luck!

@PaulL I love bacon, just getting used to the idea that I can actually eat it without getting a heart attack. That said, I bought some Uncured, nitrate free bacon from Trader Joe’s. Been eating it the whole week and though it doesn’t have carbs it does have sugar listed in the ingredients. Did this mess me up? Should I go for sugar free bacon?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #49

Well, I’d be careful. How much bacon are you eating? From those pics, I’d say it’s highly likely that if you stick to two slices (12 g, it claims), you won’t be getting more than 0.49999999999999 g of sugar, which is okay as long as you count it toward your limit. In Europe and other civilized places, food manufacturers are required to give the nutrition quantities in terms of 100 g, regardless of what they claim is a serving size; in the U.S. they are allowed to pick a serving size that lets them not have to list any amount under 0.5 g.

Furthermore, if the nutrition label says “under 1 g,” I assume the quantity is 0.99999999999 g, just to be safe, lol!

Oh, I meant to say, good for you for catching that. Most of us just look at the nutrition panel, see “0 g,” and assume we’re safe. I learned the hard way!

@PaulL I am only eating, at most, two slices and not every day. But, I am trying to be super meticulous about what I am eating, especially in these early weeks so I can gage what works and what doesn’t. I just picked up more but think I will return it and look for something different. And, when you say count it towards your limit, what do you mean, carb limit? Looking at the label again, I am not understanding how you are calculating the sugar? Thanks!

(Door Girl) #51

In the US, if the amount of a nutrient is below a certain threshold the manufacturer can say 0g. I believe they need to round, so it needs to be less than 0.5g of the nutrient in order to legally claim zero. So you would be right to record 0g, but it might be a meaningful number that you don’t see because the amounts are rounded down.

Here 2 slices of bacon is reasonable for some people. I’ve been known to chow 8-10 slices of bacon, so if I had 10 slices it would be 5 servings. If the actual amount of carbs in 2 slices was 0.45g, I would be having 2.25g of carbs. Which by itself is probably not an issue, but if you have several food choices a day that appear zero carb due to rounding, it could add up to a very significant part of the 20g of carbs.

What I did in the early days was to round up. I viewed 20g net carb as a limit, not a target, so I would record anything that had a carb-type ingredient (hello sugar!) as 0.5g per serving. Doing this, I aimed for the 20g but if the rounded up errors put me slightly over (i.e. 21g, 23g) I didn’t sweat it since I was somewhat inflating the carb count to counteract what the manufacturers might be doing. I did of course change my food selection going forward so that I could better stick to my plan of eating.

You do you, but if you aren’t getting the results you want I would highly recommend getting more precise on hidden carbs and potentially just rounding up. This is one place I liked paper over electronic as there was no override needed to record 0.5g of carb on anything where I considered the 0g claim suspect.

Thank you @doorgirl. I had no idea. I am trying to eat whole foods but there are packaged items like string cheese or deli meat (I know there are hidden sugars) that I didn’t realize could have hidden carbs. I will assume that is the case and either try to eliminate them or account for them!

(Door Girl) #53

You’re welcome @jowest. When you are happy with your results without being that picky there is no need to dig so deep. But you don’t seem satisfied, so it makes sense to try to be more granular on your carbs.

Deli meats that don’t have a label (surprisingly, you can often look at the label if you ask - especially if it isn’t too busy) are something I consider emergency food. Something I’ll turn to if I’ve failed to plan for something I know will support my journey. But I would probably re-charge my own results if I stopped buying things from the deli that have no nutrition facts on the label and aren’t unprocessed basic ingredients…

This mornings weigh in keeps me at a similar weight as last week, up a few ounces. I took my measurements and I have lost 1 1/2 inches around my hips and 1/2 on my waist and 1/2 inch in my calf. I don’t get the scale, will it eventually catch up? So used to seeing a number but will take the meaurement changes, but hard not to feel a little disappointed even though I realize it is crazy!

Throw away your scale. Stop putting your worth in a number that can’t even tell the difference between muscle and fat.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #56

Yeah, I meant the carb limit. It sounds as though you and @doorgirl have sorted it out between you, so I’ll bow out. U.S. labeling regulations are basically designed to let the food manufacturers get away with lying to us; in Europe and elswhere, they cant get away with it, because they have to include a panel giving the amounts per 100 g. I may have to move somewhere civilized!

(Charlotte) #58

You beat me to the punch. I was just reading your new thread. :slight_smile: