Dehydrator

(Allie) #1

So I’ve just ordered a dehydrator for my dog’s birthday (yes he is a bit spoilt) so I can make him meat / veg treats with no nasty additives… but now I’m wondering if I could use it for snacks for myself too? I have no idea if it would work but it has to be at least tried…

(Todd Allen) #2

Some things are good/better dehydrated and other things are not so good. My wife and I garden extensively and tomatoes are the reason we find a dehydrator a must have item.

We are on our 3rd Nesco dehydrator. The first one we got very cheap on sale and it worked well. When it stopped working just after a year I bought another. The second also died just after a year and I “repaired” it be replacing a thermal fuse. The second time I replaced the fuse I adjusted the position a little bit which prevented it from overheating and blowing and instead the dehydrator overheated and warped its plastic trays. A glutton for punishment I bought a 3rd Nesco dehydrator but wired it up with a cheap external digital thermostat. Sure enough after a few months I saw the internal thermostat becoming less accurate allowing the machine to run hotter and it too would have overheated and failed without the external thermostat there to cut off the heater.

I use my dehydrator regularly for jerky and vegetables. You can make your own garlic and onion powder. There are links out there for keto chips and cheetos.

(Sophie) #4

Thanks for posting this because it reminded me that I have half a dozen figs sitting on the counter currently and that many more in the trees that are ready and I just don’t feel up to doing the preserves thing right now. It might be a fun project to dehydrate them instead since I’ve never tried that before!

(Zu) #5

I really really would like to make salami and not die of botulism - but the humidity is not right where I live… (one would need cool ambient temps, and high humidity)

I know older ethic ladies prepare the meat and herbs (which I know the recipe of and its ah-may-zing…) and then place it in new unused stockings or specially sewn cloth tubes to cure for 3, 6 or 12 months…

See I theoretically know how to make it, but my environment doesn’t permit (i live in semi-arid warm summer cool winter climate with dry as dry air…

Im thinking I would probably kill myself with botulism and nitric OD.

Surely there is someone on this forum in internet land who knows how to hack salami or other spiced cured meat in dehydrator!!

(Sophie) #6

I have seen folks using a cheese cave for cured meats and have thought about using mine for the same but I have so damn many projects going I’d never get to it! You can make a cheese cave from a small refrigerator by tweaking the thermostat. The Danby models are the best for doing that. If you’d like the model number let me know and I can get it for you. As far as humidity you just place a bowl of water in the bottom and have at it.

Uline Fridge for Cheese Cave

(Zu) #7

yes I have done my own cheese cave with my mini fridge - but alas, a good cured meat needs airflow - that which my cave may not be able to give…

I have heard the oldies doing it in the new stocking… and then they hang it over the SHOWER RAIL of all places… damp, moist air… Those oldies really threw caution to the wind…

and most of them just used salts and no nitrates as the meat apparently makes its own… and they somehow didn’t die…

Im so tempted to make it - but its end of winter here and nowhere neat cool enough temp during the day. It needs like nice 8 or so degrees Celsius for a good 4-6 weeks… 15c is probably borderline on spoilage.

Its just a sad situation, really. Im still so tempted to risk and experiment

(Zu) #8

I have been wanting to do this for 2 years now but I keep missing out because of the season timing factor… so this link sits in my bookmarks… very good authentic instructions and no nitrates PLUS!

(Zu) #9

TBH, I think I am going to do it… but this way.. it cures quick - 3-4 days and in any weather with no special equipment and this is the one that is common to me and I am most familiar with eating for years (as opposed to Italian fermented). I will do it and let you know how its goes… and I will most likely combine all of the recipes and tweek them to how I like it.

http://www.antoniotahhan.com/2010/12/21/sujuk-armenian-sausage-from-scratch/

http://thefoodblog.com.au/2009/03/sujuk-from-armenia-to-lebanon-and-to.html

this might be an option for those who want to make their own dry meat, no nitrates, no starter cultures, just natural salt

I will be using home slaughter goat. and extra fat. I hope the flavour its still ok.