Dehydrated Sirloin

beef

(Le) #1

Hi All,

New to the forumn and just started keto

Does anyone know anything about dehydrating beef. I had a 400gram sirloin. I dehydrated for just under two hours at 65 degrees. The internal temp of the steak was 135 degrees. However I have since found out that you must sear the outside of the steak high enough to kill bacteria.

What’s your thoughts on this.

Cheers

Le

(Joey) #2

I have no personal experience with meat dehydration but my understanding is that you need to raise the internal temperature to at least 160 or higher to kill bacteria … it’s not just about searing the outside.

You can char the exterior in a flash flame without ever killing the bacteria if you aren’t raising the internal temperature. That’s not sufficient. Eliminating the H2O is good at discouraging more bacterial growth, but again, some water content remains so you’ve got to go further.

This is especially important with pork (trichinosis causing parasites), although you are asking about beef.

(Le) #3

Hi. Yes. With beef I guess it’s lower. To cook a steak to a medium liking the internal temp is around 135.

With chicken and pork. Def 160-165

(Joey) #4

Indeed… I bbq our steaks to around 140’ish (med/rare) but we let them sit for 10 minutes before eating as they continue to cook internally. There’s also the question of storage… there’s a difference in bacterial risk if you’re eating it right away vs letting it sit around for long periods (dehydrated jerky) before eating it. You need to be sure to wipe out even more potential bacteria in that situation.

(Robin) #5

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to your input! Or questions… whatever. Welcome!