Degrees of Good? And how does that change with time?

Of course you can, fat (not weight) only comes back one way, the actions you take.

No, it’s not a sliding scale of progress in any of those. Just being in ketosis is the goal, the levels are meaningless with the exception of people doing keto as a medical intervention. Loss of appetite isn’t a positive, loss of (excessive) appetite because of sugar it fine and normal, but otherwise it’s a sign of metabolic slowdown, which will tank your goals real fast, and make regain very easy.

Take measurements, use your eyes, see how clothes fit, you can go all the way to DEXA scans, which is what I do, but the scale weight alone isn’t telling you how you’re progressing (or failing). At my heaviest I was 300, at my lowest during everything the high 180’s, I’m not 210lbs and less fat on me than when I was in the 180’s. The scale is only one piece of it. Pay attention to it, but take it in correct context.

(Mark Rhodes) #22

Unless of course you are Dr. Seyfried or Dr. Harper using a GKI for its cancer fighting abilities.

Just a small caveat Paul. Otherwise on Target as per usual😉

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

Or Dr. Palmer using it to treat mental illness. But Dr. Phinney was talking about nutritional ketosis, not therapeutic ketosis. That’s a whole different ballgame.

I strongly felt this a few times on keto/carnivore, the same with loss of hunger for long… I never even lost fat then, I ate much but it wasn’t pleasant to have such times. It had nothing to do with my metabolism though I am quite sure, it just happens. Some people don’t even have hunger ever, they are just like that. I don’t envy them.

But if it’s a sign of metabolism slowing, it is even much worse than what I have sometimes…

“Loss of appetite isn’t a positive, loss of (excessive) appetite because of sugar it fine and normal, but otherwise it’s a sign of metabolic slowdown, which will tank your goals real fast, and make regain very easy”.

Must it be that way? What if I don’t have hunger simply because I am fat-adapted, in ketosis and my body uses the fat when it needs energy?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

You are absolutely right.

The idea of eating six times a day was developed a couple of decades after the first publication of the dietary guidelines as a coping strategy to deal with the constant hunger. One of the benefits of a ketogenic diet is that it allows us to eat enough food to be satisfied for quite a long time.

When I was a kid, people ate breakfast, had lunch/dinner five hours later, and dinner/supper about four or five hours after that. And then they didn’t eat again until the next morning. These days, as a carnivore, I rarely want more than two meals a day, and I can go for many, many hours without hunger. And it’s not as though I’m stinting on the food when do I eat, either.

What is the sixth, before-bed snack?
We have 5 here, they all have their own names and that’s it. Probably adults have 3 though with optional snacks, it depends on the work, people in offices grab something easier while many others can’t eat while working. I don’t know people’s habits nowadays but female dieters often have this 5 meal thing on blogs with 2 super tiny meals, it’s basically 3 (very small in my eyes) meals.
3 should be normal even now. Maybe it’s culture based, ones with heartier, bigger meals don’t need so much…?
Hospitals give 3 meals a day. Small, cheap ones but it’s Hungary and the lunch is usually okay (just little). My school lunches were way worse (and often too small even for little girls. with my appetite, yes, maybe that was the problem, I typically need a big lunch, always did).
When I was a kid, the main meal was lunch and it had 3 courses (sometimes only 2 but a proper lunch had dessert. and it was a sorry lunch if it had no soup and the soup often wasn’t some light thing) and not tiny ones. And if I say that, it was a big one. Hard not to get satiated for long with those. Of course, it is somewhat individual. Carbs always made me hungry but those lunches did the trick with all the fat and protein! And the amount of food. Small carby meals wouldn’t have worked for me. Or lower-fat ones. It was far from ideal but satiation wasn’t a problem.

Carbs suit and satiate my SO way better so he eats a carby meal in the morning on workdays and is satiated for 6-8 hours (there are a few low-carb options that work the same). I never could do that with any meal below OMAD sized (without sleeping). It’s the individual factor. He eats 3 times but it is normal for people with the ability to eat proper sized meals to get the right amount of food in 3 meals…