😳 Deep Ocean Minerals (DOM) - Who Knew?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

Wife and I went to Park Royal Shopping Center this afternoon and while at Osaka Market I wanted to buy some soda and thought I’d check out the Asian soda scene. This was the only stuff I could find that wasn’t loaded with sugar. It’s apparently made in Taiwan. Beside the stick-on English label is a notice also in English printed on the can “For sale in China only”.

YHB Ocean Bomb website Unless you’re Chinese, you’ll probably want to google this site and translate it.

I was also intrigued by what exactly natural deep sea sparkling water might taste like. Turns out it tastes very good, like other carbonated mineral waters. It is also apparently healthy and nutritious, too.

:running_man: DOM Water Accelerates Recovery From Physical Fatigue
:flushed: Deep Ocean Minerals (DOM) For The Rest of Us
Trouble finding lite salt
Mike's Excellent DOM and Ocean Minerals Adventure
(Allie) #2

This is something I would quite like to try.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

I finally found a bit more about YHB Ocean Bomb here:

Methods

Drink

The desalinated DOM, taken from the West Pacific Ocean (662 meters in depth), was kindly provided by Taiwan Yes Deep Ocean Water Co., Ltd. (Hualien, Taiwan). DOM was filtered by a micro-filter (removal of microorganism) and an ultra-filter (removal of macromolecule and virus) before use. Molecules sized above 1.5 KD were removed after the two filtration procedures. To mask the taste difference between DOM and placebo, the same amount of sucrose, artificial flavors, citrate, citrus juice, calcium lactate, potassium chloride, vitamin C, and mixed amino acids was added to each. Tap water purified by reverse osmosis process was used for making the placebo drink.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

This is interesting! There is nothing here that identifies exactly who these folks are*, so I may be mistaken. But just how many DOM sources are drawn from precisely 662 meters in the ‘Western Pacific’. I suspect these are the same folks who give us Pokemon Ocean Bomb for the pop drink market. They’ve apparently set their sights on the health food and supplement market as well with this site:

51%20PM

• Just found this:

Proprietary process

Manufacture factory located at East coastline of Taiwan…

Same guys rebranded.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

Methods

We conducted a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled crossover human study to evaluate the effect of DOM, taken from a depth of 662 meters off the coast of Hualien, Taiwan, on time of recovery from a fatiguing exercise conducted at 30°C.

Results

The fatiguing exercise protocol caused a protracted reduction in aerobic power (reduced VO2max) for 48 h. However, DOM supplementation resulted in complete recovery of aerobic power within 4 h (P < 0.05). Muscle power was also elevated above placebo levels within 24 h of recovery (P < 0.05). Increased circulating creatine kinase (CK) and myoglobin, indicatives of exercise-induced muscle damage, were completely eliminated by DOM (P < 0.05) in parallel with attenuated oxidative damage (P < 0.05).

Conclusion

Our results provide compelling evidence that DOM contains soluble elements, which can increase human recovery following an exhaustive physical challenge.

Also here.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

Discussion

Vascular function is known to deteriorate with age (Barac and Panza, 2009), which may have ramifications on cerebral hemodynamic regulation during a physical challenge. Despite the protective effects of DOM on vascular function having been established with high reproducibility among animal studies (Miyamura et al., 2004; Radhakrishnan et al., 2009; Li et al., 2014), whether DOM can enhance cerebral hemodynamic responses during a physical challenge in men at various ages has not been previously documented. In this study, we found that mineral and trace elements from deep oceans can substantially increase the cerebral hemodynamic response during high-intensity cycling. The enhanced hemodynamic response with DOM was somewhat more pronounced in middle-aged men compared with young men at the same relative exercise intensity.

interesting.

I read up on desal of seawater and the ‘toxic brine’ that is leftover and all the environmental issues with it and I just didn’t know this as in depth as ‘a thing’ but yea it is LOL Just not something I came across alot but it got me interested in learning more about the whole desal issues out there.

cool

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

DOM extracted by YHB/D-Mineralz off coast of Taiwan is desalinated via RO. This results in brine ‘waste’ which is returned to the ocean.

If you’re concerned about RO desalination, then Aussie Trace Minerals is an alternative, desalinated via evaporation ponds. So ATM are technically not DOM, since extracted from surface water. They claim that since the minerals are ‘processed’ via sea animals and micro organisms, are ionic rather than colloidal they are more bioavailable than pure minerals. This might be marketing hype to distinguish themselves from DOM. Still talking about the same set of trace minerals, though. I would think, however, that bioavailability is important. Many trace minerals found in salt just pass through uselessly simply because they’re not in usable form.