December 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

fasting

(PJ) #165

That was not clear to me. Good, I’m glad it’s not so dire. :slight_smile:

(PJ) #166

I am off keto 5 weeks end of every year, and I resume Dec 27. So I fast from evening 12/26 until I just really feel like eating again – I figure all the fasting possible to bring ketosis back in sooner, is a good thing. So I guess right now I’m at… about 50 hours of fasting, though I wasn’t counting until now. I will probably eat sometime tomorrow though.

I’m planning to do more but shorter fasts in 2020 as 2019.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #167

I use to travel a lot. 1.4 million miles on Delta. Now mostly for pleasure and one trip a year for business.

Gosh, I mentally celebrate being past security. I call it “in the system”. Much lower stress on the gate side of air travel. I also used to eat past security.

(John) #168

Fasting Friday completed - about 38 hours, give or take. Didn’t quite negate the holiday week indulgences.

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #169

Yesterday I finished my fast at 78 hours. I wanted to extend it to 96 hours, but I started to have some food cravings (I had none so far) and I decided I did not need to be a hero.

I ateThis text will be blurred broccoli, mushrooms and raw cod, with lots of olive oil.

Then, I continued to have some food cravings, and I ate 5 (!!!) protein bars (low sugar). I believe the total amount of carbs was below 25 grams.

This morning, I was at 73.2kg, so exactly the same weight as yesterday (which I see as a success). Today, I will try to return to the exact protocol I had so far. For the time being, it has worked, with the food cravings disappear, so far.

(KCKO, KCFO) #170

In the fasting threads on these forums, we blur any food items mentioned as those words can trigger some folks. We do this to be polite.

When doing a post the editor has that row of icons above the message body, click on the cog button ! Editing to add: Highlight what you want blurred then click on the cog icon |28x31 and select blur spoiler.

That way others who want to see what you had can simply click into the blurred area and the word will be there, but those with the issue don’t have to see it.

Other areas no need to do that, otherwise recipes forum would just be a blur, LOL

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #171

Started a 36 hr fast at 6pm tonight. Traveling Tuesday afternoon and need to break the fast several hours in advance.

Tomorrow I’m not working and will be alone from 10 am on. I have a log of chores to do so I think I’ll easily be okay staying busy.

Next week I think I will fast up to 72 hours. The week after I’m driving a 10+ hr route to take youngest back to college and I will just do some OMAD days.

I hope everyone has a great new years.

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #172

Today my weight is 75.2kg, so 2kg higher than yesterday (the first full day after a 78 hour fast).

In principle, this is a disappointment, but I believe (we will see in the next few days) that this weight increase is mostly due to water retention.

First, it has already happened to me during the diet: for a few days, the weight is stable. And one day, weight goes down suddenly. Some people call it the whoosh effect (I think the explanation of water into fat cells is naive, but anyway, the effect seems to be real).

Second, yesterday I noticed that my body was “inflating” with all the water I was drinking (I did not poo, either). It was really a noticeable effect. Yesterday I ate a normal keto diet, as always.

Third, theoretically it seems to make sense: the body is now “recreating” the tissues that were eaten during the autophagy in the fasting period.

Fourth, my weighting machine has a percentage fat calculation. Granted, it is a really bad calculation (the machine of my doctor gives consistently about 4% less fat, and according to pictures of other people, it is more precise than mine). But the tendency of the numbers is correct. And today, despite the increase in weight, the percentage fat has remained constant in relation to yesterday (and during the fasting period, the percentage fat fell precipitously).

We will see during the next few days (there will be a contamination with New Year’s Eve, though).

(Justin Jordan) #173

Another fast day. So this is the start of week five. I’m switching my schedule to Sunday, Tuesday, Friday. Mostly just to put my food days on days I do weights, and fast days on the days I go for longer walks.

Well, and also Sundays, where I often nap the day away ANYWAY, so might as well take advantage of it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #174

Doing a 36-40 hr. fast because of New Year’s celebration tomorrow night.

For anyone who wants to do the Zornfast in Jan. Brenda has already posted it for us. She has included details on doing a new protocol the Clark Protocol in the thread, incase anyone wants to check that out.

(Jane Srygley) #175

Hey fasters!

Working on a 30-hour fast today… Just realized right now that this means that I will be fasting in the new year! Will anyone else be fasting at midnight?

I was starting to get into the habit of a 30-hour (ish) fast every Tuesday and Thursday but then got out of the habit over the holidays, so I decided to get back at it this week. I didn’t gain much weight. Started out around 210 and weighed about 212 this morning, but I definitely don’t want to camp out here, so getting back to my fasting routine seems like a good idea. It feels good, too. I’m glad to be back at it. I had a big dinner last night (ribeye and jicama fries OMG SO GOOD!) so I honestly still feel a little full this morning. Really enjoyed my black coffee. Peet’s Major Dickason’s blend if anyone’s interested. I usually don’t like black coffee and add salt and spices, but I didn’t this morning and it was actually really good.

OMG DUDE I TOTALLY THOUGHT YOU LIVED IN THAT SHED!!! I was seriously worried about you, so thanks for clarifying :heart:

KCFO my people! :muscle::muscle::muscle:

(Jane Srygley) #176

I was SUPER gassy the 3rd day of my longest fast. I have heard other people complain of this as well. I think it’s gut bacteria either dying off or asking for food, I dunno. That’s my non-scientific opinion.

(Susan) #177

So did I, I was concerned too but didn’t know what to say.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #178

I balled on my fast yesterday. I realized that I could not break my fast without risking schedule issues with travel.

But all is good. Next week with push for a 3 day fast.

(Mame) #179

It’s been a great December 2019 even though my fasting was minimal for me. Tons of travel and special meals got in the way. However I stayed in my weight range all month even with a few treats some even non-keto, so I am pleased!

I am also really looking forward to fasting with you all in 2020. I am thinking that I may fast this thursday and/or friday… but that will be for next month’s thread. :wink:

Happy New Year! May 2020 be our healthiest year ever!!

(Jane Srygley) #180

I’ll join you if you do it Thursday :heart: Good job staying in your weight range!

(KCKO, KCFO) #181

Just put up Jan. thread, because of the international dateline :slight_smile:

(Mame) #182

I love joining in with people :orange_heart: but I am considering the ‘clark protocol’ for a fun yet very challenging January 2020. This is described in the January 2020 Zorn Fast post.

The Protocol:
2 days feasting with 2 meals each day.
2 days fasting.
3 days fasting.
4 days fasting.
5 days fasting.
/fini

This will be a challenge for me because fasting during the weekend always is! Also I have not done longer than a 3 day fast for about a year. …but January is always a good time to stretch one’s fasting muscles :grin: I would probably start it on 1.1.20

(Jane Srygley) #183

Yeah I agree! I am not about that LOL I do an OMAD on Sundays but that’s it!

Good luck following that protocol! I may get into the Zorn thing sometime but today is not that day :upside_down_face:

(KCKO, KCFO) #184

Please continue the convo on the new January 2020 thread posted above.