Dealing with Setbacks

(G. Andrew Duthie) #1

OK. Looks like I need some advice on handling a temporary setback.

Last weekend, I fell on the stairs and injured my foot. Finally went to get it x-rayed, and the diagnosis was non-displaced fracture. Not severe at all, from the x-rays, but they don’t want me doing exercises that will put too much weight on it (squats and deadlifts, for example).

My plan is to continue my bench presses and do military presses in place of the OHP from StrongLifts 5x5, but I want to have a plan for getting back up to speed once the foot can take the load again.

Anyone had similar issues where they couldn’t continue their squats, etc. and if so, how did you get back into the groove again?

Perhaps look at this as an opportunity to test other exercises that you wouldn’t have even considered before. Sometimes life throws us off course, which then leads us to looking for another way around the obstacle…and then that alternate way brings us to an even better outcome.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

I sure hope so.

I’m not super-discouraged about the whole thing. If I can manage to consistently lift for 10 weeks straight once, I can do it again. Just a little frustrating to have that momentum broken by something so stupid. :slight_smile:

Appreciate the encouragement, and yes, I’ll have to look for other ways to maintain/increase strength.

(eat more) #4

muscle memory…you’ll be back to where you left off quicker than when you first started.

resistance loop bands could be helpful if resistant enough for your strength.

has the highest resistance bands i’ve seen/used

clamshells no problem, bridges, one legged bridges, hip thrusts, and marching soldiers (if not too stressful on your ankle)
you can also do like a sitting “thigh master” with the resistance band…hamstring curls with a ball, band, or foam roller
leg lifts, L-shapes, fire hydrants, donkey kicks…

those are all i can think of off the top of my head…if i think of more i’ll update

there are tons of non weight bearing leg exercises…not as manly or as cool as squats but better than nothing.

a suspension trainer might be helpful but also might be too stressful on your ankle for some moves

(G. Andrew Duthie) #5

So…I may not have to worry as much about exercise as I thought…if my knotted shoulder muscles are any indication. Turns out that using crutches is somewhat strenuous.

Sore.

(Allan Misner) #6

The key is to complete your recovery before you get back into it. I would focus on upper body strength and core exercises. This is also a good time to work on mobility.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #7

Yep. Did bench press, curls, and pull-ups yesterday. Not sure if it’s that, or just using the stupid crutches, but my upper body is pretty sore this morning.

I may add air squats in a couple weeks, once the bone has had time to knit, and a couple weeks after that, just use the bar…give me a chance to work on my form while I’m waiting for the foot to be ready for a full load.

(Todd Allen) #8

Check out blood flow restriction training. The basic idea is to block venous return blood flow (but not arterial) to a limb such that blood and the metabolites of exercise accumulate and saturate the muscles of the limb. And then one can exercise with very little weight/load, typically 20% and yet go to failure fairly rapidly. And achieve an amazing pump and good hypertrophy stimulus from the metabolite concentration without the mechanical strain of traditional training.

Also, this is a chance to try pistols or another form of one-legged squat. Leg extensions and leg curls might be OK too and add some variety for a couple months.

(Allan Misner) #10

Just don’t try to come back too fast. Reinjury could double your recovery time.

Yes, crutches are not fun or easy, but you’ll adapt after a few days.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #11

Sadly, I think you’re all too correct. Was trying to get in some upper-body exercise this morning, and managed to stumble and land on the bad foot. I don’t think I did too much damage, but it hurts, so I’m sure I didn’t help matters.

Going to have to stay away from the weights until it has a chance to heal. Just not worth the risk. Pull-ups should still be OK, so I’ll stick with that for now.

(Sophia Jacob) #12

You don’t need to worry about you can still do exercises like leg lifts, donkey kicks and can follow booty bands workouts.