Day four: What can I do better with my plan?

Pranayama! Love this. Thanks for the encouragement and reminder !!

(Dan Dan) #22

much better but 1500 would be better for active women

You’re missing 10 years from the calculations :joy: and body fat as well I believe, which I’ve factored into my new calculations (an average of three calculators!) and came up w more realistic numbers.

(Raj Seth) #24

10 more years would not lower that 1809 much below 1700

(Rob) #25

Mainstream calculations are based on g/kg of LBM not g/lb so that number may be 2.2x what you need at a minimum. Not that 87g is too much per se and may well work for you but 87g is what my 220lb male body does well on. Just a thought.

My bad, it is g/lbs of lean body mass! I’ve edited my post to reflect that now. Thanks for pointing this out to me!

You are correct. Key differences as I see them are I entered 3-4X a week mid/high intensity as my activity level, and -20% as my calorie intake goal.

(Rob) #28

There’s nothing wrong with a higher number since you are quite young and active and lots of people thrive on 2g/kg LBM, just so long as you know you are not being conservative with the protein amount at this level.

(Raj Seth) #29

Don’t use the calorie deficit model. Just set it at 0. Let keto WOE make your body do the work automatically

(Rob) #30

It was interesting to see that one of your goals is to improve your strength & stamina for surfing. That’s one of my goals too.

I’ve lost 24lbs since starting Keto in September 2017 and feel so much better because of it.

I used to get fatigued after only 30 minutes or so in the water, but now I can go for over an hour and not hit the same wall that I used to when fuelled by carbs. The only caveat to that is that I have also been working on strength with surf specific exercise programs, so whether that is the key difference is open for debate, but it was still the effect of Keto that made me feel like doing more exercises in the first place.

I’ve done a lot of research on physical performance aspects of low-carb eating and Phinney & Volek’s book “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance” has been a very interesting read, as was Mark Sisson’s “Primal Endurance”.

I’ve just started Iyengar Yoga to help correct some muscular-skeletal issues and improve my flexibility, strength and balance, so hoping to see some results out on the water soon. That feels like pushing a rock up a hill at the moment as everything is so locked up, but hopefully that will change the more I do.

Now that you’re 6 weeks along from when you made your original post, how are you feeling now? Have you surfed again since going Keto?