Day after cheating

cheatday

(Carolina Starzynski) #1

Hey!
I’ve been on keto diet for a month now. I feel great, lost 6kg and feel many other benefits.
But yesterday was my father’s birthday at an Italian place, so I decided I would cheat. I didn’t eat the pasta because I couldn’t, but a bit of bread, a fried roll and a tiramisu for desert.
But right now I feel awful. I’ve been nauseated all day and went to the toilette about eight times. I also have a headache and feel hungry all the time.

Does it happen always when we cheat? And why does it happen?

PS.: I’ve done some reading on why cheating isn’t a good idea and I understand I should avoid it.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

You’ll probably stay to feel better tomorrow.
It’s mostly just your body reacting to all the sugar and carbs, and not really knowing what to do.

Everyone reacts differently, but most people do feel terrible, hungry, achy, tired, or irritable.

(Carolina Starzynski) #3

Thank you very much! It’s crazy, way worse than the keto flu

(Jill F.) #4

I have been in keto 8 months and when I do slip up and eat off plan even a few bites I feel like death. It is a quick reminder to me that my body doesnt like that anymore and I should listen to it! Keep up on keto and you will do great!

(Susan) #5

Welcome to the forum, Carolina =).

Yes, our bodies generally go crazy if we feed them carbage after we are used to not having the sugars and carbs.

It is a good reminder to stay on track =). This forum is amazing for encouraging us all to do that =)).

Congrats on your Keto journey so far as well =).

(traci simpson) #6

It makes me wonder about my body. When I was eating the SAD, I ate stuff that wasn’t KETO and I had no reaction to it and didn’t really gain or loose weight, but now that I’m KETO, just one piece of cake or something fried in the wrong oil will make me want to die the next day and gain pounds. How is it that that one little episode can turn the scales not in your favor but a regular diet doesn’t seem to do that? If I decided one day that I want to not do a strict carb restriction, will I gain a butt (literally) ton of weight?

You immediately gain water weight, not fat. You obviously can’t gain pounds of fat just because you ate some carbs more or some problematic substance… Something changes in your body, that happens but making fat from almost nothing isn’t possible.

It’s interesting that our body makes its choice and reacts quite differently after some weeks and months on a diet it prefers. I don’t talk about the first crazy day, right out of keto, our physiologically insulin resistant body (I hope I wrote it right, I’ve read about this in my own language, not in English but it should be okay) gets confused, it must change its behavior (not like I have any problem with it if I don’t go super crazy and I never did that immediately after keto. but it would be normal to feel bad). But I can’t handle carbs very well even if I am not in ketosis since a very, very long time. I had that before keto too, I went low-carb and high-carb for more than 1-2 days became impossible for me. (I never felt great on a carby diet but I was okay and healthy enough and had no idea there is something better.)

Of course, it’s individual and not always the same for the same person either. Our sweet spot (ideal carbs range) is personal. I don’t need keto to feel okay (less carbs is still better though) but I can’t go too high for long without dire consequences. Others have problems way easier and earlier. Some people go and eat high-carb for months and nothing pulls them back, they just gain fat, usually. I would feel I’m dying after a week (but considering what some people eat? after a day. my body is forgiving but knows what it wants and I like that).

(Ken) #8

Your reactions are easily explained. With a long term Keto pattern your body stops producing as much Amylase to break down larger amounts of carbs. When large amounts are.consumed, rather than being efficiently broken down, large amounts.are.available for gut bacteria to utilize, and since their waste product is gas, it causes bloating and can also lead to loose stools. It used to happen to me before I transitioned into Maintenance and began eating periodic carbs.

Maintenance is about metabolic flexibility, when you can consume occasional carbs.and not suffer such profound effects. I do now occasionally experience bloating, although now nearly as severe now, and without negative effects on my GI tract.