Dave's Progress Thread - Year II

This :point_up: is actually on point. My activity level has indeed changed with all this, and no, I haven’t been getting in as much activity due to some of the reasons you mention. Lounging around after work and just taking it easy overall, to hopefully let it heal. But just got word Friday that I can start going back to exercising, so hopefully this will indeed help. :slight_smile: … Also, when at work, I’m no longer going out and walking around during cigarette breaks every hour or so, getting some walking in. :smile:

I will look into changing that to see if it helps as well. :slight_smile: Thanks

(Janelle) #402

Years ago, I had a fairly simple procedure that required a couple of hours of “general anesthesia”. I was totally out for several hours but went home that night. The best thing anyone ever said to me was “anesthesia screws with you for a long time” There was never a truer statement. It messed with my mood, my activity level and all kinds of things. It took 6 weeks for me to be back to “normal”.

Well, I do remember telling my Wife that first week home, I was feeling quite Wonky. I mean the surgical area itself seemed fine, but just overall I didn’t feel right. So you could be right, wasn’t aware anesthesia did that either. - I also think I mentioned this previously, but I really think the Morphine they had me on messed me up too. (my first time on it) I made them take it off me on day two, because I just didn’t feel good while on that stuff! … I’m hoping it does show improvements soon, not particularly for the weight loss per se, but just the fluid retention which I have indeed been feeling lately, and don’t like. :neutral_face:

But I am hoping I should be able help aid this some by making sure to be more active as Marie kindly pointed out, because my activity has indeed minimized during this whole affair. :slight_smile: But also making sure to watch my intake of anything that could be helping or hindering me one way or the other.

(Virginia ) #404

We will figure it out and get you back on track… just keep in mind you are still healing. And I am still proud of you… you’ve come a long way. LOVE YA. :wink::kissing_heart:

Thanks, and yeah, I know I will. Love ya… :kissing_heart: See if I can help it some these coming weeks.

(Running from stupidity) #406

+1

(Tamela Robinette) #407

I think I read one time it takes the body a full 6 months to a year to rebound from major surgery and being under anesthesia. I hope you are able to rebound soon. Some gentle walking should get the ball rolling.

Thanks, walking is definitely on the plan. :slight_smile: I actually started having some soreness in my right knee again in the past couple weeks, and I believe inflammation is triggering this too? … But yesterday it was bothering me some so I decided to just go up and down the basement steps about 4 times non-stop, just to get some activity in, and it actually seemed to help some. At least the soreness lightened. … I’ve actually already repeated this just a short while ago today, since it was slightly sore upon waking. - So as you state, I think I will be starting out just walking, and work the other stuff in over time. (I actually was telling my wife last night this is what I was planning to do, starting this week) Maybe give it a couple weeks and then incorporate the Total Gym, Rowing Machine, etc. back into the mix. :slight_smile:

(Tamela Robinette) #409

That sounds like a reasonable plan. Hubby tells me I have no chill, I go all out and end up doing more damage, I’m learning though😁

This… I definitely don’t want to do. Hoping to give it ample time to heal, to help minimize the chance of a recurrence, which I’m already aware is already so by default, after you have one repaired surgically.

Just some notes for the files…

Planning on Fasting now, after having two nice meals today. As well as some over the weekend. … Not sure for how long, but will simply let it happen as it will. - I do know I could certainly use one right now, especially with the stuff that’s been going on recently, but moreover I think I really need a reset of sorts.

There is also a few things I want to try after this fast has completed & that’s removing some stuff from my present menu. - If anything, for a while at least to see if there are any positive changes that will be helpful for me in the long run. … This includes, but is not limited to;

• Chocolate (Dark is all I’ve had)
  • Nuts (Brazil, Almonds mostly)
  • Some Dairy (defined below)

Note: I don’t presently believe any of the above items are actually causing me any major issues. But my hope is that by cutting them out, it will prove just this. Or simply make me aware of something I may be presently unaware of? - On the dairy, I’m still not sure if I will cut it all out, or just some? At least not yet, but it has been a thought for a while now. … There may be some other things not mentioned, but I haven’t really put too much thought into all things considered just yet. Just winging it presently.

This isn’t due to the recent halt of my weight, which I’m basically attributing to the recent surgery, which is actually no problem. It’s more to due with the fact I truly believe inflammation is definitely at play and causing me some issues. … For one, I basically just feel like I’m retaining fluid, and feeling this quite a bit to be honest. Also, something else I noticed for the past few weeks, and actually just spoke with the wife about tonight, is that dreaded sneezing! … I mean, it’s almost like it was before switching over to this WOE/WOL which is actually the biggest pain in the ass for me. - With the recent Hernia surgery, there a few things I don’t want to see happen, which can cause me to have even more issues or hell, even a recurrence of this issue and possibly lead to another surgery. (This has been discussed, so I’m doing what I can to avoid this) … But even though I’ve mentioned it in passing, after tonight’s meal, I was heading to the restroom and yes, sneezing. … The Wife said simply, the sneezing back. … Sucks.

So, if by making any these changes helps with these issues. I will surely do it and have no problem doing so. I just wanted to drop this info in here, just to have it on the record so to speak. :slight_smile:

(Janelle) #412

On the sneezing - I know you’re up north so maybe it’s dry air/air filters? Maybe it’s the tiny bit of spring in between the snow?

Yeah, I’m sure the dry heat during the colder times doesn’t help any, and we do have and use a wood burning stove. (not always, but it’s worse when we do) But this seems to happen anytime I eat. (year around) It was like this for many, many years and drove me nuts. … Some on here suggested it could be inflammation related, since this actually cleared up after switching over to Keto? But just recently started back up. It’s why I’m thinking inflammation again, along with all the other signs. :slight_smile:

Only time will tell. … Thanks

(Tamela Robinette) #414

I’ve considered giving up dairy as well Dave. It will be interesting to see what your results are. I could never give up cheese permanently, but maybe for me just to get this last 8 or 10 pounds off.

I’m interested myself, since like everything else you get so much conflicting information when you try to do some research on it. So I think the best way to know for one’s self is to simply try some self-testing.

Example: Just quickly ran a search for “Does Dairy cause Inflammation” and the first 4 quick notes say;

So yeah, as shown above, very conflicting. … You have Nope, it’s not real - Yep, it does. - Well, it could and lastly… It does indeed. :confused: and these were the first 4! :smile:

So anyone who looks stuff up on-line better not just go with the first thing they read on the page. I mean, unless it simply agrees with what they think & they just want false confirmation. :slight_smile:

So yeah, I too love Cheese and don’t plan to give it up permanently. I think (to me at least) it’s a major component for doing Keto, such as meat is. But, I don’t mind going without it for a while, if anything to at least learn if it is indeed a contributing factor for inflammation. Hell, maybe just cutting back some would help? But I won’t know until I find out if it’s a part of it to begin with. Will definitely post back on it. :slight_smile:

(Tamela Robinette) #416

So far keto has been very helpful for me in dealing with some tendonitis/inflammation in my foot. I’m lucky in respect to being a runner and never having had any knee/joint issues. I would only want to restrict dairy for weight loss but it will be really interesting to see if it helps your inflammation. Looking forward to reading your results!

(Bob M) #417

I have given up all dairy and not given up all dairy. I usually eat cheese and cream. Sometimes sour cream. Sometimes yogurt. This week, I’ll eat very little dairy. Next week, I might eat more. Sometimes, I might eat a lot, usually in certain recipes though. My dairy consumption changes all the time, though I have cream (in coffee) every day I am not fasting.

If dairy does cause “inflammation”, I can’t find it. And I’m not sure I would even know where to look. It doesn’t seem to inflame my joints, or if it does, I haven’t been able to show this and point to dairy as the culprit.

Yeah, I’m not sure I will be able to either, Bob? … I just know I’m presently retaining fluids, and when this happens, my right knee starts acting up and gets sore. (I had an incident about 2 years ago, and ended up with a strained inner meniscus that left me limping for quite some time. Did physical therapy for a few months, but it took many more before I wasn’t limping anymore. But whenever I start retaining fluids, my knee shows swelling and it starts up again?) I’m just hoping to get more activity in, but I have been thinking of cutting out dairy mainly to see if it helps moreso with my sinus issues that have come back, after getting much better after switching over to this WOE/WOL. - Who knows, maybe it won’t show me anything for either issue? But I’m willing to try something for now to see if it helps? Thanks.

Just some more notes…

I did start back with walking and doing some stairs again today. Decided I will do this 3 to 4 times daily to see if it’s helpful. - Routine… I leave my office on the top floor, walk down to the side of the building and then to the lower level, where we have a paved walk-path I had installed a few years back. … I do just 5 laps, and then walk back up to my office. Running a timer today, I find this takes me 15 minutes to do, so this should be sufficient for now. After a couple weeks, I may be able to add to this. (Plus, I plan to walk for an hour on the treadmill at home, 2 or maybe 3 nights a week to start.) Will depend on my knee and how it’s feeling overall. - Sucks though, I will not be able to do much for the next day or so, since we will be in snow duty starting very early tomorrow morning. … I’m actually about to leave work to go home, but have to be back up at Midnight to come in by 2:30am. Yep, I hope winter ends soon. :neutral_face:

(John) #420

The reason for this is that the information is usually true for some set of people or in a specific circumstance. The trick is determining if any given piece of information is true for you.