Dave Feldman's "traffic jam" of fuel transport hypothesis

(Bob M) #1

Dave Feldman just published part of an interesting n=1 study:

To me, these were interesting results, although I focus on only part of them. The hypercaloric is when he eats more (and hypo, less). Watch what happens to ketone (top) and trigs (bottom):

If you read further, he explains more:

For me, this fills a void that was not previously filled. I struggled to understand why I seemingly got higher ketones when eating higher fat, but only sometimes. I think it had to do with both eating fat AND eating more than you’re using, creating that traffic jam.

And I’d bet that this also occurs if you eat fat AND carbs. For instance, this weekend, I made homemade fries (from potatoes), fried in tallow, as another test of the theory that fat + carbs = more satiety. This morning, I had triple my normal breath ketones (don’t have strips to test blood ketones, unfortunately).

My theory: the carbs are used first, meaning the fat I also ate (had burgers fried in tallow, cheese on them, two fried cheese sticks) has nowhere to go, yielding higher ketones. I’ve noticed a similar effect having a weekend or day of carbs: I have higher ketones then normal. Not always, but many times.

I also think this is one reason why we see so many “I ate fat and my ketones went up!” posts: it’s possibly just “extra” calories as fat that can’t go anywhere in the short-term, due to this traffic jam.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

(Bob M) #2

Oh yeah, the test of fries fried in tallow? I don’t think it works that well, I was still plenty hungry.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Whatever. We still have a base metabolism to live with. The past several days (5-7?) I’ve been satiated far below my ‘usual’ daily caloric intake of 2700-2800. Today, for example, I’ve only consumed 1400 calories and I am not hungry. I’ve consumed about 100 ml of Southern Comfort. I’m going to ‘force’ myself to eat more, but still, this is strange.

(Doug) #4

I’ll drink to that. :stuck_out_tongue: