Damn cups

(Kelly LeBlanc) #21

I am not sure what the labels look like outside of North America. I am Canadian and living in the US. I convert my recipes using the Serving sizes of ingredients, which are usually given in Cups/TBSPs/Etc, but also include grams. Then I tweak the recipe to get it how I like it and write it out with my changes.

I do not like “American” recipes. A cup is not a cup all the time. For instance, did the person developing the recipe sift the almond flour first? Oh, they didn’t say. Did they pack the cup and level it or fill it loosely? Did they use chocolate chips or chocolate chunks? Size, texture and how much an ingredient is compacted will affect the results of using cups for recipes, but will not affect weights.

You can try this out for yourself. Take whole macadamias and fill a dry measuring cup and level it. Weigh the contents of the cup.

Chop those macadamias and put them back in the cup, The cup won’t be full any more, but you do have the same weight of macadamias.

Maybe we can start a thread with recipes that people would like converted to weights? I would be happy to help out.

(Luke Jeffery) #23

Did not know that. That’s an interesting piece of kitchen trivia and worth knowing 8f I find Austie recipes to use.

I prefer to call them freedom units. :slight_smile:

Yes, you can just use ratios. In your mayo example.

The volume vs weight is more of an issue of your recipe writer than it is with cup measurements. They should stick to one form weight or volume, and not switch in a recipe.

Add variation in almond flour and different volumes will weight different depending on grind, textures and manufacturers, this throws off a recipe conversion immensely.

So my only advice is use google… you can type in the math into the google search bar and it will compute, remember to keep weight to weight and volume to volume.