Dairy Free Sour Scream Suggestions

(Justin Hamilton (Hamenopi)) #1

Hey all,
My lacto-sensitive friend is interested in keto but is really getting salty about all the milk and cheese I douse my Instagram feed with.
Lately I shared a post about bacon wrapped egg cups. She really wants to try it but with her sensitivities, she’s looking for dairy free alternatives to sour cream, and probably the cheese too.
Can anyone relate?
I did a little time vegan in the past but I stayed away from the vegan creams and cheeses so I’m clueless about them.
Are there other replacements?
Any ideas are appreciated.

(Sonia A.) #2

I’m sorry to say that I didn’t find replacements. So if someone has ideas, I’m interested too.

Kite hill makes an almond milk based cream cheese that’s pretty tasty. I haven’t seen any non dairy sour cream substitute but things like cashew cream can be used as cheese sauce.

Here’s a crazy thought: If your lactose sensitive friend goes strict keto (under 20g carbs, mostly fat, etc), she may not be so lacto-sensitive any more.

Immodium AD was my almost-daily friend before keto. Like other women in my family, my insides did not like dairy, and expressed that fact vociferously every day around late morning. It was a big, uncomfortable problem.

Since going keto over a month ago – and enjoying heavy cream, Kerrygold butter and sour cream multiple times every single day since – I have not had one single experience of lactose intolerance. I eat loads of dairy with zero side effects. Yet another miraculous result of NOT overeating carbs.

Just a thought…best of luck to your friend.

When I used to make raw food I used to make a mock sour cream from cashews or macadamia nuts. Cashews have more carbs. You just mix the nuts with a little lemon, water, salt and nutritional yeast. Blend in the blender until smooth. Doesn’t taste exactly like sour cream, but it’s a great substitute. You could also add a little probiotics powder and leave on the counter to ferment a little for a more sour flavor.

(333c7c9095896ec65859) #6

Kite Hill also makes a plain unsweetened almond milk yogurt that subs fairly well for sour cream. Kite Hill is carried in Whole Foods or here’s their link:

http://www.kite-hill.com/our-food/yogurts/

:cherry_blossom: Carolyn