Dairy Free February?

(AnnaLeeThal) #1

I’m contemplating trialing dairy free to see if it helps resolve some issues I am still having with bloating. As much as I love my heavy cream and cheese I feel like it would be worth it to eliminate dairy for a little while to see if it improves my gut health.

Would anyone like to join me? I’ll start Feb 1st, which gives me a few days to plan how my meals will look.

One thing I use a lot of is butter, so I may make ghee out of some of the butter that I have. I contemplated doing dairy free except butter, but if I’m doing this I want to be all in.

I will use coconut cream instead of HWC, ghee instead of butter, and I will mourn cheese because I can’t really think of a good replacement. What I hope is that I will be able to tolerate hard aged cheese and butter without bloating up.

(Marc) #2

Anna, I wrote in another thread that I am dairy free already and I’ll probably remain dairy free. I put on weight when eat dairy products. It’s worth a try to see if you lose quicker when you’re dairy free. I know dairy gives me problems…

(AnnaLeeThal) #3

That’s what I’m thinking. I don’t necessarily need to lose more weight, it’s just the uncomfortable abdominal bloating that I suspect is tied to dairy. I fasted for 72 hours this weekend and it was great to have zero bloating. I did, however, have some butter and a couple splashes of heavy cream as I was “fat fasting” which didn’t seem to cause bloating.

(Jacquie) #4

@AnnaLeeMI I think this is a great experiment! Dairy, and especially cheese, had replaced sugar when I was low carb (since the mid-90’s). I never thought I could give up cheese but I gave it up and AS’s when I did Whole30. I was shocked that it wasn’t hard at all. I came to keto over 2.5 years ago dairy and AS free and stayed that way for a year. I was at goal weight then but lost a few pounds when I started keto - not complaining. :wink: I added dairy back because most everyone doing keto was eating dairy. I have since cut back because I may be lactose intolerant (23andme said that I might be) and I do feel better with little to no dairy.

(Marc) #5

Also, I was reading on facebook where someone was saying that his blood sugar was down after he didn’t have dairy. Some of us just can’t handle dairy. I’m one of them.
Here’s the post, I don’t know if you’ll be able to see the post, it’s a closed group.

(AnnaLeeThal) #6

That does make sense for the insulin response aspect and weight loss stalls.

I think my goal for this would be to see if my GI tract is happier. If continued weight loss happens too without having to extended fast (it’s the only way I lose now) then bonus.

Other people with other goals are welcome to join me…and then on to the steak challenge in March!

Ummmm…NOOOOOOOOOOO! Don’t touch my CHEESE!!!

(AnnaLeeThal) #8

Willing volunteers only :grin:

Whewwwww

(Christine J) #10

Since Feb is the shortest month of the year, I’m in. I don’t suspect I have any dairy issues, but I’m curious what would happen!!

(AnnaLeeThal) #11

Cool!

(Guardian of the bacon) #12

I…just…can’t…go…there.

(AnnaLeeThal) #13

Oh come on.

(Guardian of the bacon) #14

Baby steps…I might join you for a week…maybe. Going a week without bacon has been killer. I just don’t know about cheese.

@AnnaLeeMI, I’m such a fan of testing, but I’m half way through my month-long ZC test. Too bad…I would have joined for sure!!

(Meeping up the Science!) #16

I am dairy free in solidarity! Sadly my beloved full fat greek yogurt is dairy so ditching that too. I will be taking probiotics instead.

(Meeping up the Science!) #17

Avocado = great dairy replacement!

They do make franken lactose-free cheese, but I refuse to pay for it and buy avocado.

Hard cheeses are typically less hard on my body, actually.

(Shalyn) #18

I know I should try no dairy, I’ll willing to do no dairy February with you!

@Donna, how is your tolerance for long-aged, dry cheeses like parmigiano reggiano or Pecorino Romano? I know several people who cannot touch dairy, but with very aged and hard cheeses they do quite well.

(Meeping up the Science!) #20

They do not bother me symptom wise. I have very good tolerance for aged cheeses. Sadly, I’m still supposed to avoid hard cheeses since they still have casein, and that is cross-reactive with the gluten proteins. I eat smaller amounts of higher quality goods and I find that more satisfying, as they usually have more flavour.