Daily Protein/Fat etc

Hi all. Sorry if this is a stupid question. But just as an example to keep the maths simple. Say a person’s (let’s call them person A) daily protein intake was supposed to be 100gm and their fat intake was also 100 gm ( or their about not important for the general question) and of course keeping below 20 gm of carbs. (Let’s forget calories for now as also not important here). The figures are just hypothetical and matter not regarding the question. Here’s the question.
Person A, eats 100 gm of protein and 100 gm of fat . 1st day.
Person A, eats 150 gm of protein and 50 gm of fat. 2nd day.
Person A ,eats 50gm of protein and 150 gm of fat 3rd day.
Does it matter if over one day and under the next ?, how long can we expect our bodies to balance it out, so to speak?.
Regarding are daily allowances of protein/fats ect, surely are bodies do not limit themselves to a daily calculation ?
Do you reckon our bodies calculate and adjust of what we eat over a couple of day’s ?, a couple of weeks ?, or maybe months’s. or even years ?
Or maybe after every meal ?.

(TJ Borden) #2

The math is pretty simple:

• 20 grams or less of carbs
  • moderate protein scaled to lean body mass
  • fat to satiety

Don’t count fat grams, there is no “target” other than to satiety, and don’t count calories.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

Too much protein turns to fat. While there’s certainly more wiggle room than with carbs, I wouldn’t get in the habit of looking at a weekly average.

(Edith) #4

I don’t think there is “balancing out” from one day to the next. Insulin responds to meals each time you eat. So if you go really heavy on the protein, your body will have more of an insulin response to that protein and possibly take you out of ketosis that day. If you eat really low protein the next day, your insulin response will be less that day. Some people find if they leave ketosis for whatever reason, it can take several days for them to get back in. It probably depends on how insulin resistant one is. Other people get right back in.

If you really want the benefits of ketosis, it is better to stay in consistently. I recently read somewhere that 10g up or down for protein doesn’t really matter that much. I’m sure 50g would.

Yes, this answers the question. I forgot about insulin response. Our bodies react after “maybe after every meal” with it’s insulin response. What a bummer, imagine if you could over indulge one day and just cut it under the next. That would make life so easy. And our bodies would work it out. Even I could have designed a body like that, well maybe not. Come on God. What was she thinking.

(Robert C) #6

Does it matter if over one day and under the next ?, how long can we expect our bodies to balance it out, so to speak?.

• I think as long as you live. Just as the 2KDs mention – you could burn off fat calories from your dinner or that Krispy Kreme donut from 10 years ago. But I do not mean CICO or anything – just that if your hormones allow you to store energy and easily retrieve it – extra storage periods will be offset by extra periods of retrieval. More protein raises insulin faster than more fat so that would imply the need to have longer periods of retrieval (longer periods of keeping insulin low) if you have more protein.

Regarding are daily allowances of protein/fats ect, surely are bodies do not limit themselves to a daily calculation ?

• Not sure what this means. Yes, our body does not have a calorie calculator. But it is either storing energy because of hormones or not – so the “allowances” are what the levels of hormone think they should be. Eat ice cream, spike insulin – hormones determine fat should be stored now.

Do you reckon our bodies calculate and adjust of what we eat over a couple of day’s ?, a couple of weeks ?, or maybe months’s. or even years ?

• Yes – hormones use our reservoir of body fat to allow us to eat a lot quickly (just after the kill in ancestral times) or go without as necessary (fasting).

Or maybe after every meal ?.

• Also yes – our bodies calculate through our hormone’s response to what is eaten.

Thank you.

I was hoping for a monthly average. Ha ha.

(Chris) #9

Zero carb doesn’t follow this formula.

(Chris) #10

Eat what you’re hungry for, as long as it isn’t a plant. If you want to gain weight, eat more, if not, stop when satisfied.

(TJ Borden) #11

Agreed, but other than the category (likely mis-placed), there’s no mention of ZC by the OP. So I was just giving the keto basics.

(Elizabeth ) #12

You do know you’re in a zero carb carnivore Forum? It’s very simple you eat the meat you like and can afford, and you drink water. I’m eating closer to 250 grams of protein and almost the same in fat everyday, and I’m not gaining any weight. I don’t measure anything I eat when I’m hungry

Yes I am very much I am aware I am in a Zero Carb Forum, it was just an hypothetical question, and answered by VirginiaEdie Edith which I acknowledged.

Try adding a couple of glasses of dry wine, not many carbs and will help you stay cool.

(Peter Schmitt) #15

Another point : we have protein-pools in our body. But these are rather small. The additional fat can be saved very easy by your body. The excess-protein is thrown out / used for glyconeogenesis / burned for heat, ect. So, the energy can be saved, the protein as a building-block can hardly be saved. So ( despite from insulin ), it is not so important, when you consume your energy ( as long as it is an amount, that you can digest ), but you should consume a minimum amount of protein a day, with that your body can work.

(Elizabeth ) #16