Daily exercise

(Crippie) #21

Hey there!

We don’t really fall into the same category, I have been more of the occasional exerciser and trying to work up to more. But thought I would throw my new workout plan I have been trying with my newfound keto energy!

Monday-Wednesday-Friday: Morning Swim at gym before work, at least 1 mile.(I used to swim in college)
Tuesday-Thursday: Evening bikeride, however far I get in 30 mins, usually around 5-10miles depending on difficulty
Saturday: Bike ride to the gym, depending on how I feel, swim some, or just relax in jacuzzi/sauna, then ride home(about 12 miles total)
Sunday: Only exercise is passive from house chores.

So yes I have a day where I do nothing, and I do not feel guilty at all, but thats more from the fact that I am still doing more than I ever did before. I actually feel guilty that I have been working out so much, because i spend less time at home doing housework and spending time with my wife.

(Ethan) #22

You should take a day of exercising periodically. Depending on what kind of exercising you are doing and the intensity, you could be preventing recovery and muscle repair and growth if you exercise all the time.

(Tim W) #23

I’m currently doing a hybrid mix of 5x5 and crossfit. I pick a couple of major muscle moves (deads/squats/pullups/bench etc) and rotate them along with a few supportive muscle moves to get a full body rotation. I do one move after the other, 4-5 moves, rest 2-3 minutes, then hit it again. If I’m fasting I keep the weight low, otherwise I try to increase weight when I can. I don’t do “days” (leg day, arm day etc) as I’m working on full body health and being lean and strong, not bulked etc…

I can’t say if this is working any better than my fat loss protocol, that was 5 sets of 12, moderate weight, no more than 2 minutes rest between circuits, sometimes zero rest. I don’t track strength gains as well as I should but once I finish this long fast I’ll pay more attention and focus on that a little more. What kind of routine do you prefer?

He’s done a couple of interviews with Tim Ferris and I’ve been interested BUT was a little turned off when he mentioned that taking supplement XXXX would reduce excess skin, but only if you took it for six months, THEN it would start to work. I researched it to possibly suggest it to my wife and, surprise surprise, he sold the supplement on his website (Pavel’s) kind of bummed me out on him, that that it invalidates everything he’s said BUT, in addition, his “kettlebells are the best thing in the universe mentality” is kind of baffling to me, I don’t see the physiological holy grail when compared to an olympic bar and a few dumb bells, but I could be missing something!

(Adam Kirby) #24

I purposely don’t work out everyday, need some recovery from strength training. But you could squat every day, just hang out in bottom position of squat. It’s a primal move that Western adults can’t even do.

(Ross) #25

Pavel was a quick learner about the nature of capitalism and fitness LOL. He was working on the “ab pavelizer” design when I took his class. He mentioned that so much of fitness in the US was driven by gizmos.

I felt lucky that I had him in person in class and not just his books. He spoke quite freely.

Kettlebells are better than most gizmos and gimmicks for sure but I’ll stick with barbells and dumbbells myself.

(Mark Rhodes) #26

@brownfat Have you attempted any fasting to elicit a growth Hormone response and autophagy? I am sure with your knowledge, if it wasn’t detrimental to your condition, you might have.

(KCKO, KCFO) #27

I have a strength training class I attend once a week, too crowded the rest of the week. I work out with dumbbells about 3 times a week while watching movies. I keep my walking to a rolling average of 10K over 28 days. I do yoga about 3 times a week. I go up and down stairs a lot, house is multistoried, and I don’t care of most elevators either.

I exercise because it makes my body feel better, not for weight loss. I can bend and stretch and lift things in my daily life with my current routine, works for me.

(Sarah Herlihy) #28

Hiya - Thankyou so much for taking the time to reply. Your answer has inspired me and really will help me navigate and realign my goals. End goal is to just be happy and somewhat easy going in the grand scheme of things. Keto is changing me and i am loving the freedom i am finding in eating the food i now feel i can. Hoping this same feeling will come on the gym front. I feel like i am making moves in that direction.
Such a great answer and i will re-read it again for sure. Thanks!

So far, so good.

(Tim W) #30

You are correct. I’ve always been impressed at how many other cultures around the world can and do sit in the bottom squat position for extended periods of time. I’ve seen workers waiting for a bus etc just “hang” in that position for over an hour. My biggest enemy is blood flow, when I come up, it’s headrush city! This has gotten worse since using IF and other fasting. If I have not eaten in 12 hours or so, I often have headrush issues from changing position too quickly, still a great recommendation to do this move as much as one can.

(Tim W) #31

You are very welcome.

As a recovering over-exerciser myself I know it can be tough. I used exercise to drop 20 pounds but then hit a wall and had to incorporate a more healthy diet (when your A1C is 5.6 and you are 90% of the way through marathon training, you realize it’s more diet than exercise…).

I learned a few things along they way, you’ve probably read/heard them elsewhere:

• You can’t out-exercise a bad diet
  • Exercise should never be punishment for what you ate, it should be a positive activity that supports health, fitness, overall well being, and longevity
  • Always look for the incentives behind those trying to sell you a product, from shoes to gels, what’s the real motivation (it’s not to make you healthier in every case)
  • You are not in competition with anyone, the less exposure to instagram/women’s health/facebook groups etc. etc. etc. the less likely we are to do this, to see someone (usually photo-shopped and manipulating diet and sodium levels in extreme ways and only looking cover ready for 30 minutes…) and compare ourselves to them, wondering why we suck so bad that we can’t look like XXXX

Take care!

(Todd Allen) #32

Yes, I’ve been experimenting a lot with fasting in various forms, especially in the past couple of months, which in addition to boosting growth hormone and autophagy might reduce fatty liver, lower inflammatory cytokines like IL-6 and TNF-alpha, promote sirtuin enzymes and in combination with cold stress can promote mitogenesis, BDNF and improve insulin sensitivity. Heat stress and high intensity exercise are also promoters of GH and heat shock proteins. I’ve been combining them with fasting to try and boost the effect. Recently I learned hypoglycemia is another potent booster of GH and I’ve found I can get hypoglycemic (below 50 mg/dl) without ill effect by fasting until my ketones are high and then taking pioglitazone a strong agonist of PPAR-gamma and a weak one of PPAR-alpha which boosts insulin sensitivity and then drink 30 g of whey protein concentrate spiked with additional BCAAs. I’m going to test combining this with the other factors soon. The whey also helps GH raise IGF-1 which is essential for increased muscle growth and the ketones inhibit the metabolism of leucine which ought to enhance MTOR activation.

All of these factors have been found beneficial in mouse models of my disease and are research targets for finding therapeutic drugs. But so far no drug has been found where in humans with SBMA the benefits clearly outweigh the side effects. Govt. funded university research from Italy last year did find that mice genetically engineered to have SBMA lived twice as long with much less wasting when fed a high fat diet (45% of calories from fat) instead of the standard high carb mouse chow - probably replaced some of the flour and sugar with soybean oil though I couldn’t find details of the exact diets. This to me sounded like excellent evidence to trial a well formulated keto diet in humans with SBMA.

But unfortunately that won’t produce much profit and there is little chance of getting big funding for research not related to patented/patentable pharmaceuticals. I had already made the connection between metabolic syndrome and the severity of SBMA and had been LCHF for several months with good results so making the transition to keto was an easy choice. I’ve been talking up the benefits but have yet, as far as I know, to inspire anyone else with SBMA to go keto - there is so much fear of fat that even the mouse study is largely discounted.

(Carpe salata!) #33

Hot damn. That’s some heavy science right there.

I love this forum. Keep us updated of your progress @brownfat .

(Davey B ) #34

I believe excersise is great for my mental and physical fitness, but it can backfire if the guilt feelings take me over when missed. To combat the negative side, I’ve set the bar low and simple on excercise since I’m quite strict on my Keto lifestyle, esp max 20g incidental carbs. I have enough to worry about :sweat_smile:

So I try for 3x per week. 4 is a bonus!

My go-to routines:

1. HIIT (4min on/3min rest x3 cycles)
  2. Heavy Lifting - Max reps 6/set x 3 cycles
  3. Low Intensity (when I have time esp. on the weekends) - Hiking around Hong Kong where I live - great for thinking - no music for me, just walk and relax with the world around me!

Good luck in finding what works for you!
Dave

(Tim W) #35

Off topic but what finds you in Hong Kong?

(Davey B ) #36

I have lived and worked here for the past 13 years - Product Development LED Lighting - In China 3 days a week,… Keto is something to behold in this country! I can explain in decent chinese that I want my burger without a bun but they still can’t believe what I’m asking for,… And no fries!!! LOL

Oh well, innovate and keto on!

Thanks for the laughs Peter, this is definitely good for the health!

(Davey B ) #38

One has to laugh here, otherwise you’ll cry with frustration daily! Humour is good medicine in China! :rofl:

(Davey B ) #39

Here are two quick morning HIIT routines for those on the road (be it a dingy China hotel or the Hyatt in NYC).

Just before showering for the day try one of these quick sessions:

Dress code: underwear or gym clothes - shoes optional (so no excuses that you forgot your workout clothes! :wink: )

** Night before: Download the Tabata timer on Google Play or wherever you get your free apps.

Find a little room in front of the bed, and in front of a mirror if available. This may help with form and motivation. If not, lose the mirror! :relaxed:

Option 1: Total exercise time 18min
4min GO! Rapid cycle below

1. Burpees 15-20x
  2. Mountain climbers 15-20x alternating (so like 30-40 movements)
  3. Push-ups 15-20x (go on your knees vs toes if it’s too difficult)
  4. Explosion jumps 15-20x (squat deeply and jump straight up into the air
    *** STOP at 4min ***

3min REST (Brush your teeth, pack you computer etc., or just sit and pant!)

Do above cycle 3x and you’re done! Feeling great and ready for an epic day!

Note: Play with # of reps in each case to adjust to the 4min allowance. The key is to keep moving for the whole 4min. :sweat_smile:

Option 2: Total exercise time 10min. (Unless you need a 30sec interval between 1 minute activity blocks)

Burpees x10-15 then stop (within 1 min)
Wait for the minute timer to ring then do it again

Repeat for 10 cycles (10 min total) and you’re DONE!

I interchange both Options above to get some variety. You can also substitute exercises, i.e. for Option 2 try Mountain Climbers instead of Burpees. If you’re stronger, include a push-up with each burpee.

I hope that helps! ENJOY and BE FIT! :muscle::sweat_smile:
Dave

(Sarah Herlihy) #40

100 burpess is the ultimate quickie i used to resort to. Hearing the word burpee these days just exhausts me. Thanks for the message though. Im trying to work through my gym obsession and just do little bits and bobs at home. Today i have set myself a 100 push up task to do in groups of 10 periodically throughout my day. Also a beautiful sunrise walk this morning which i think is good for the soul. Getting back to nature is amazing and i am lucky enough to live in the most beautiful place here is Cairns, Australia.