Cyprus Body Composition Report

bodycomposition

(Keto in Katy) #1

Yesterday I saw my doc for my semi-annual checkup. I am 54, have been keto for 3.5 years and my doctor is fully on board. She knows I have done very well with it.

She mentioned a body composition report and I said I wanted to do it because I am interested in knowing my body fat percentage. The tech came in and attached two electrodes to my right foot and two on my right hand — she clicked a switch on the little device and it was done.

I have attached the report PDF here, and my question is this: is anyone familiar with this particular type of test, and is it reliable? The top of the report page reads “Cyprus 2.? Body Composition Report” (it is 2.0 or 2.8, can’t make out the number).

My doc said the numbers looked really good, which of course I want to believe but I don’t know anything about the reliability of this kind of test. Any input on this would be appreciated.
Body-Composition-Report.pdf (256.0 KB)

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

Sounds like an impedance-based measurement. Basically the same principle on which scales that measure body fat operate, by sending a small electrical current through your feet and measuring the resistance.

It’s possible that measuring from feet to hands is more accurate than the scales can be. But IMO it’s still probably a fairly “guesstimate” kind of measurement. Arguably more accurate than a calculated BMI.

If your doc says the numbers look good, that’s probably for real, even if they don’t necessarily tell you with great precision.

A couple of links I found that may be of interest:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/body-fat-scales-do-they-really-work.html

(Keto in Katy) #3

Thanks for the response and the link @devhammer

I knew my body fat % had to be pretty good but when I saw 16% on the report I was really happy.

(Larry Lustig) #4

Is the doctor an MD?

(Keto in Katy) #5

Yes

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

This is what Google comes up with for Cyprus 2,
http://www.rjlsystems.com/products/software/#section=description

Very similar to the scales that measure body fat % or so it would appear.

(Stephanie Hanson) #7

I would love to compare the precision of a couple of these with a DEXA. As soon as I can find a DEXA close to me.

(Patrick L) #8

Hi Stacy,
I’m a keto beginner. I’m living in Cyprus.
I would like to make a check up in a few months with a doctor that understands all things about keto a the truth about the real cholesterol numbers…
Do you mind giving me the name and phone number of your doctor? I would appreciate.

(Keto in Katy) #9

@Patrick13 I sent you a private message

Impedance based methods have r2 of ~0.8 vs DEXA, multiple point skinfold measurement gets to 0.94.