Cycling! How to get started?

(Tom Seest) #121

Yes. This works, but an even easier way is to go in a low gear and just spin as fast as you possibly can. Causes less stress if you have knee issues.

(Guardian of the bacon) #122

Thanks Tom.
I have lots of issues, Fortunately knees are not yet one of them. But it makes sense not to needlessly stress them. After sitting here for a few months my already weak cardio will be trashed. I have lots of work to do. I do have a decent recumbent exercise bike I need to get on as soon as I get docs go ahead.

(Guardian of the bacon) #123

@tdseest How is aero tech for returns? My wife is concerned about me ordering mail order bike clothing and getting proper fit. Especially as I don’t know my starting point.

(ianrobo) #124

If you want to massively increase your cardio/aerobic system then you have to get a heart rate monitor and then work in your Z2 endurance.

HIIT works to some extent but put aside 2 hours for just one day to go on a long ride, remeber you need no food !! Just do loops of where you live so never far from home. Nothing can beat that.

(Patty W) #125

I have officially rejoined the bicycle riding world! I picked up my bike today (Specialized Roll Sport) at my LBS. I’m still a little nervous, it’s a little different riding a bike at 300#, but it was fun. I’m starting simple, just loops around my relatively flat neighborhood; staying away from much traffic until I know I can control the bike better. This was the first time I’ve ridden a bike in 30 yrs. I’m happy to report the bike & I stayed upright the entire time.

I’ve also learned a few things after today’s ride:

1. The ability to shift gears is awesome!
  2. Always bring water, even if I’m only biking 20-30".
  3. I probably should use hand signals more than I do.
  4. Spandex is better than stretchy pants.
  5. Modern bike helmets are way better than ones from the last millennium.

Thanks for all the help from this forum that inspired me to try this again😀