Cycling! How to get started?

(Meeping up the Science!) #1

I’m Living on the Edge and I decided to buy a bike! In the middle of Chicago winter! Hey, I am ready :bike:

Any advice on what to look for? Where to get started? What websites are best?

What is a good starting cycle for someone ~295? I was looking at a mountain bike, but I’ll be riding on both country and paved roads - no urban roads like Chicago.

(Larry Lustig) #2

I’m sure that @tdseest, will be around to help with this issue as soon as he can drag himself away from riding his frigging bike around frigging Mexico (which isn’t causing me the least frigging bit of jealousy, I assure you).

I bought a “hybrid” bike from CostCo a few years ago and got a pretty good deal. Now a days I’d go to a bike store.

My starting keto coincided with a visit from a bike-maniac friend who took my then-rusting bike to the shop and had it overhauled for me as a present. Since then I’ve been riding one or two days a week, circumstances permitting, about 6.5 miles each way to one of my clients (in the Empire State Building, they have a bike room). It feels great. When I first had the bike, riding was a chore, but now it’s so much easier. My body seems to actually want to get on the bike.

(Richard Morris) #3

I’d go to a bike store and tell them what you are trying to do and get some advice. I wouldn’t necessarily buy from them … but they are the experts.

When I was at my biggest I had a scott hybrid which is halfway between mountain bike, and a road bike so the tires were not a fat an knobby as a mountain bike but not smooth and thin like a road bike. Also it had front fork suspension which you could dial up or down. So on the road you make it rigid for speed and efficiency and on trails you dial it down so it provides shock relief for your arms.

Whatever you get, invest in a comfortable saddle. I cannot emphasize this enough.

(Tom Seest) #5

I would consider a Montague Paratrooper folding bike based on the riding you want to do. The advantage is that it is easy to haul around, take on a train, or a cruise ship, etc. Extremely durable. I can recommend a good Saddle. Carol is correct, the saddle matters.

(Richard Morris) #6

oh yeah they look great. They will be heavy, but I don’t mind that in a first bike. You’ll build up great bike muscles. And maybe you’ll have the experience I did that when you transition to a lighter road bike later you’ll just fly.

(Meeping up the Science!) #7

Thank you, Tom. I sort of have images of biking around a cruise ship now…

I actually never thought to take a bike on a train. I feel silly for that. What an amazing idea!

(ianrobo) #8

my first bike was a what someone might calla BSO here in UK - bike shaped object) cheap, nasty but did the trick until I got to my three bikes now - a cheaper one for the trainer, medium priced one for a lot of my rides in the winter and a top one for my longer rides/events etc that has electronic gears which are so good !

@richard mentioned a bike shop but I would suggest find a local cycle club and they will give advice for free and maybe buy a second hand one first. Defintely start low then figure out what is good for you.

@Donna one big tip on a saddle, don’t get a PADDED one thats always a failure of first timers. Yes some saddles look harsh but the thinner and harder the better, trust me !

(Tom Seest) #9

I had to go padded at my weight to begin with. I couldn’t find padded shorts at the time either.

(Meeping up the Science!) #10

Yeah, I may need to get a padded seat. I am glad to accept seat suggestions. My weight is still high.

(Tom Seest) #11

I would start by going to http://www.aerotechdesigns.com and buy padded shorts, as they work on any bike. Then, it may take you some time to find a seat that you like, but at least you have padded shorts.

Ask for a female seat. They have a cutaway section at a key pressure point.

(Meeping up the Science!) #13

This is probably a dumb question, but you can’t just wear capris or leggings?

(Meeping up the Science!) #14

Hmm, okay. This stuff is awful complicated! More than I thought.

Maybe at first, if you don’t go very far. But there can be chafing issues. You do not want chafing issues. I just wear yoga pants and have saddles that fit my butt. I also have padded pants but don’t always wear them.

(Meeping up the Science!) #16

I would much rather find that out from you than first hand! Since I still am obese I deifnitely would have chafing anyway. Are shorts too cold for winter?

Hmmm, I never had this on the stationary bike, but of course, there is a big difference.

A lot of comfort depends on the riding positron of the bike too.

And wind chill is a factor outdoors. It’s a lot cooler moving on a bike than walking.

Best thing is to visit a couple of so bike specialty shops and let them educate you. Most likely the different shops will carry different brands to an extent. It’s a good way to learn about different bikes and talk to knowledgeable folks. And don’t be afraid of purchasing a second hand bike. Especially as a newby. It’s a good way to get a good bike for less money.

Body glide is great to prevent chaffing. It looks like a deodorant.

And your butt is going to hurt, period. A proper fitting seat (saddle) is a must, but even then…

(Larry Lustig) #20

Just like keto, people who are really into it can make it more complicated than it needs to be. Shorts are fine. If you wear long trousers you need to guard against the cuffs getting caught in the chain; rubber bands work.