Cycling! How to get started?

(Tom Seest) #81

My thoughts exactly. Martha rides with her Mountain Bike rigged that way on the Katie Trail and never gets flats, and it has a ton of thorns. I’ve never flatted on it either.

(ianrobo) #82

once you get used to changing a tube it is fairly easy, I went from being a complete idiot at it to now doing one under 10 minutes.

Plenty of u tube vids out there but get plastic levers not metal !

(Shannon Roberts) #83

Tom, one of the few drawbacks with Gorilla Tape and other liners like it, is having less room to remove and install the tyre if you do have to change a tube. Other than that, they’re cheap insurance.

@Donna - anytime. i know a couple of facebook cycling groups you can join if you get into it, too.
if regular cycling stores such as jensonusa don’t carry shorts in your size, there are companies like aerotech that probably do. check the big stores first tho - probably cheaper. someone on here will know some stores in your country for you to peruse.
http://www.jensonusa.com/
http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/plus-women-cycling-clothes.html

(ianrobo) #84

one option is to get foam to blow up the tyres. These work very well especially if a pinch flat and I use them on my tubs tyres but have used it on a inner tube to get me home.

As for Tyres… I’d look at airless tyres from Tannus . Puncture free, no air reqd and new version as light as normal tyres. Good for commute and training.

(Glenn larson) #86

Take a look at a Fat Bike - so named for the size of the tires, not the size of the rider. I’m an avid cyclist in the Chicago area and picked up a Fat Bike because I grew tired of ridding indoors all winter. Fat bikes are great because they are really all weather, all terrain bikes. Some of my favorites rides have been in the forest preserve trails while it’s snowing. It’s like cross country skiing. The rest of the year the bike works great for your every day run of the mill trail ridding. The big fat tires will really smooth out the ride.

There a many brands - something like this is a good entry point. http://feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Bikes/mountain/fat-bike/DD-70-17.aspx

Here is a photo from a ride last week.

(Meeping up the Science!) #87

That’s where I’ll be riding - the Chicago suburbs’ trails, anyway. I’ll definitely check it out :slight_smile:

(joelchandler) #88

Fat bikes create a large amount of rolling resistance … A good mountain bike tyre will do most terrains. Sand and snow are the main targets of fat bikes.

(Martin Liversage) #89

As @larry said don’t overcomplicate things. Where I live bicycles are used for transportation every day. People wear everything from swimming suits to heavy jackets and high heels to sandals.

This is how we get around in Copenhagen. People just wear whatever works for them that day and they don’t carry water or wear special garments (except bike helmets):

Being a bike nerd myself I’m very obsessed about the technical details of my own bike. However, I’ve had to go through several different bike models (with a lot of “help” from bike thieves) to figure out what type of bike works best for me.

Have you considered getting a second hand bike to get you started to better learn what works for you without paying a premium?

(Meeping up the Science!) #90

I’ve actually been to Copenhagen (I’ve been to most major European cities), and that’s part of what is inspiring me to get cycling. I think it’s far more efficient and economical (not to mention environmental) than the American car fetish we have.

I definitely will go the used second bike route, likely, and hit the local bike shop. I would love to be able to ride to work and home, eventually, even investing the extra commute time. My needs will also change after I figure out what is up with a possible knee fix. I should not be surprised that cycling is so intricate. However, it even puts musicians to shame!

(joelchandler) #91

I agree with @liversage don’t over complicate it make sure the bike “feels” comfortable and that your seat is set right and you will be away.

I was reflecting on the whole cadence thing this morning… as long as you have the seat set right it shouldn’t matter. Sure it’s more efficient but it shouldn’t trash your knees as everyone keeps going on about… or you would never squat, climb steps or anything where your knee bends.

I stand to be corrected but it fails the thought experiment test.

My current ride… or rather one of them.

Something like this might be useful. Yes my wife is rather short by comparison.

(Guardian of the bacon) #92

Certainly not correcting as I’m far from expert but IMHO the purpose of pedaling at high cadence is that you are using much less torque per stroke so it is easier on your joints. It does seem that pedaling at a higher cadence requires a higher cardio fitness level. At least at beginner levels.

I’ve never cared much for exercise but I do own a decent bike and am looking forward to using it to rehabilitate post surgery.

(Meeping up the Science!) #93

I’m 5’1" so…

(Guardian of the bacon) #94

Not short…just height challenged.

(joelchandler) #95

I’m 6’3" …

(joelchandler) #96

Agreed but I am starting to fall into the varying cadence camp… Engage all your muscle fibre types over your ride for overall best outcomes.

Maybe it’s not a bad discussion as to what is the physical ideal is.

I would argue that the Roman athlete aka general athlete/gymnast body would be a generally good target with genetic variation.

(ianrobo) #97

you do what suits your body and targets. My average cad on a longish ride is between 78 -85 depending on how hilly it is. Also it depends on the gearing you have. I have seen crunchers and those who have low gears spinning up fast.

Unfortunately, Donna’s knees are already trashed so the less stress on the joint, the better.

(ianrobo) #99

I would argue the less stress is higher cad in a lower gear then crunching a heavy gear with lower cad ?

(Eileen Cornwall) #100

I got an aluminum one with shocks and comfy seat. Also basket and back rack. Enjoy!