Cycling and Walking why the difference

(Nadia Cabon) #1

Im sure Richard may be able to help or someone else.

I walked 13 ks the other day and apart from sore legs no problems.
Last Saturday I rode 12 ks and had to sit all day. Why the difference. Perhaps a coincidence. Can’t be my carnivore state as I have had this before on low carb/keto. I use to cycle 30-40 ks when I was eating carbs, but hey I just got fatter and fatter.

Yes insulin resistant but have lowered this from 17 to 7. Australia Standard.

Walking and yoga are my go to exercise and can walk up to 30 ks a week.

I understand I may not be Fat Adapted and that walking is steady state exercise. ???

(Laurie) #2

No hard science from me. But walking and cycling use different muscles. Maybe it was using unaccustomed muscles (or working them differently) that made you feel tired. Also, holding your body in a certain position while cycling could be tiring. If you were riding fast, you could have been in a higher cardio zone as well.

The graph below suggests that for most people, cycling is more intense. Probably especially for people who aren’t used to cycling. (Click on the graph to view the entire graph.)

(Nadia Cabon) #3

Thanks Laurie it was a total bonk but so little ks done.

Regards

Nadia Cabon

Business Development Manager

InHouseGroup3

(Central Florida Bob ) #4

What Laurie said about different muscles plus a couple of points.

First, most casual riders don’t position themselves on their bikes so that their muscles work at their highest efficiency. That also depends on the type of bike. There is a ton of information online to help you get positioned right on a bike.

Second, are you in an area that’s as flat as a pool table or does elevation change? Riding a bike uphill is much harder than walking uphill. When you’re walking uphill and stop, the friction from your shoes keeps you from sliding back downhill. When you stop on the bike, that doesn’t happen. A second effect is that you’re carrying the weight of the bike up the hill, too. That’s not as big a difference as the first one, but it adds to the work of going uphill.

I’d say it has nothing to do with your carnivore diet and is just an effect from the different biomechanics of walking vs. riding.

Hope that’s helpful.

(Nadia Cabon) #5

Thanks for the feedback

I’m quite experienced - where cleets and the bike is about 7ks light.

Perhaps it’s the casual so going to do a ride again this weekend just 10ks I want to have varied exercise

Friday is private gym session

Regards

Nadia Cabon

InHouseGroup3

(Laurie) #6

Forgot to include the source for graph:

Nadia, that’s great that you’re getting that variety. Good luck!

(Nadia Cabon) #7

Great Ill have a look at this.

Thank you …

(Central Florida Bob ) #8

Well, hope you didn’t take what I said was demeaning in anyway. Those casual bikes are a different beast to ride compared to the ones you’re talking about.

As an engineer, (so I’ve taken physics, basic mechanical engineering and such) I always used to puzzle over why it was so much harder to cycle over a hill than walk over the same hill. I live in a place that’s flatter than a pool table, and my biggest hill is a bridge. I could put on a backpack containing as much weight as my bike and have less trouble walking over the bridge than riding over it. I eventually concluded it must be that friction helps us while walking but bikes are too low in friction. Too efficient.

Just a fun fact that kind of goes with this discussion. If you put people on a motorized treadmill and measure their energy expenditure while they work out you find an interesting thing. Speed up the treadmill and you find a speed where the people change over from walking to running. That speed is the point where trotting or jogging uses less energy than walking. This is completely automatic, and your higher brain never thinks about it.

If you repeat the experiment with horses and other animals, they do the same thing. At some speed, they switch from walking to running and do it to save energy.

(Nadia Cabon) #9

Thank you Bob all taken very well

I’m off to gym this morning (Australian time) need to get fat off

I’ve been doing yoga six times a week just for movement and now my contract has finished réalisé I will not tone at all with yoga

Oh well keep trying

Regards

Nadia Cabon

InHouseGroup3