Cut my losses?

(bulkbiker) #21

So what temp is the “danger zone” for corned beef?
I eat meat hot, cold and all temps in between without problem… I even leave mine out on the countertop and cut bits off when I fancy it…

(Scott) #22

Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F, doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. This range of temperatures is often called the " Danger Zone ." Never leave food out of refrigeration over 2 hours.Jun 28, 2017

[

Danger Zone - USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/.../food.../food...food.../danger-zone.../ct_index
](https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/danger-zone-40-f-140-f/ct_index)

Now on the other side of this food handling debate I knew a family that would cook Sunday dinner and cover the food & pots with a kitchen towel. They would snack on it for up to 36 hours and never seem to get ill from it. My wife was in the catering business so we tend to be a bit more carful about this. I also dread that waking up in the morning and asking each other “did you put the stew in the fridge last night?”

(bulkbiker) #23

I tend to go for the sniff test rather than what the government tells me to do (not U.S. ) if it smells ok then it gets eaten in this house… each to their own… but there’s no way I would throw good food away without trying a taste test at least.

(Scott) #24

I agree it’s a judgment call and if I followed the US temp guide for chicken it would be so dry and tough. I think the lowered it since because no one was following it anyway. Once you give a taste test you are along for the ride. Sniff test you can still abort the meal.

(Ron) #25

So I decided to throw it in the Instantpot for 10 minutes, then naturally vented it… smells ok. I’ll let everyone know if I die :laughing:

(Ron) #26

So I ate quite a bit of it, and so far no problems :slight_smile:

(Marianne) #27

I think it takes a lot for it to “smell a little,” so just because it doesn’t, I’m thinking doesn’t necessarily mean you’re safe. I’m not throwing stones - I have left food out overnight many times before refrigerating it, but I always have that nagging thought in the back of my mind, “what if…” :grimacing:

(Norma Laming) #28

I agree with this and I wouldn’t take the chance. You can’t tell from looks or taste that it’s going to,cause problems and you can get really ill from food poisoning. These days I’m ultra careful to try to cool cooked food as quickly as possible. But I’m getting older and life seems increasingly precious. If it’s a small consolation, I do this sort of thing, too, and get so annoyed with myself so… commiserations. In my view the risk isn’t worth it.

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #29

This is possibly a bad idea but consider just eating it like that

I haven’t gotten sick from it yet but if you are immunosuppressed you might