Curious how many “addicts” on here

(Daisy) #41

I am definitely an addict. I have to stay on my guard always. Carnivore has helped my addictions more than anything, but I’m not healed.

(Robin) #42

We have a large tribe here!

(Susan) #43

I am definitely a carboholic. All or nothing.

(Robin) #44

Me too, sister!

(Barri) #45

I’m definitely a sugar addict. That first bite can send me into a tailspin, and it may be days, weeks or months before I can pull out of it. It is scary, and potentially deadly for us T2Ds.

Portion control? Pure myth. Willpower? Pure myth.

Before COVID, there was a never-ending supply of poison in the office. It was always on display in a prominent location, and I physically could not avoid it and still do my job. I was usually the last one to leave the office, and I can’t tell you how many nights I waited until I was alone, then started in on the carbage. I would be almost in tears as I shoveled it in, knowing the spiral had started and I was powerless to stop it, yet I kept eating, and my health got steadily worse.

The BEST thing for me about this pandemic is that it forced us all to work from home, which is much safer and healthier for me. My sugar-and-carb-eating daughter lives with me, but is fully supportive. She has a specific cabinet in the kitchen to keep the “poison” out of my sight, and I don’t open that cabinet. Since I’m not being constantly exposed and tempted, it has gotten easier. She actually put a small dish of Halloween candy by the front door last night just in case we had any trick-or-treaters, and I was able to ignore it. Still, I had her take it away once we were sure we weren’t getting any visitors.

I still slip now and then. But the instances are fewer and further between. I have come to terms with the fact that I will probably never be able to eat sweets like a “normal” person ever again. But that is okay if it means I get to live a healthy, active life, and keep my limbs, organs, and eyesight intact.

(Robin) #46

This is the best description of true addiction and the struggle we face. When someone says, “Oh, c’mon… a little won’t hurt you.”, they simply cannot fathom your reality. Or else, they want to sabotage your success. You’re not alone. And for many of us, covid provided a safe harbor. Keep strong. You got this!

I have extreme insulin resistance and I really cant eat carbs cause of the yoyo it creates metabolically.

I was thinking about this topic and I really don’t think I am an addict…I just don’t have a body that can manage sugar or any simple carbs hormonally!

(Robin) #48

Wow. Nope, not an addict. Just taking care of yourself. Good for you. Glad this works for you.

Me too!
I tried for years, since '96 to find a way to address my insulin resistance. In the meantime, in 2004 I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. Due to the flawed logic of the endocrinologists I consulted who kept referring me back to the food pyramid it took me a few decades to find a solution. Now 16 years after the type 2 diagnosis i am no longer in the diabetic range as long as I am very careful about carbs.

Truth is, had I not been tracking and demanding regular 3 monthly insulin and BGL tests since '96, and reqding a lot more research than I wanted to, I would have found out way too late to address it, as most insulin resistant people do.
Low fat Dukan was great for my weight, I looked fabulous and was in a very healthy BGL/HbA1C range…doctor was happy. But I had high insulin levels 'cause of the high protein.

I can’t tell you how many GPs I have seen and abandoned because they refused to request insulin tests for me and then refused to acknowledge it as a problem.

It’s my own belief that anyone that has strong carb/sugar urges should have a 3 hour fasting glucose tolerance test with insulin levels to rule out insulin resistance. Its a huge hidden problem that most general practitioners do not check for if you are young and look healthy.

(Doug) #50

Definitely a huge problem. In the U.S., ten years ago about 1 in 10 people were diabetic. Three years ago, ~85 million Americans were pre-diabetic. The CDC says that by 2050, 1 in 3 people in the U.S. will be diabetic. So hey - let’s be careful out there.