Curing Type 2 Diabetes Using Engineering?

(mcebis) #1

My recent blog post.
I mention the ketogenic forums

http://macrofour.com/engineering-a-cure-for-type-2-diabetes

(Doug) #2

Nice blog, Mecbis. :slightly_smiling_face: A good view of things you have there, and you present your case well - glad I read it.

Interesting read. One thought about this: “The homeostasis (self-regulation) of your BG is
ineffective because your body’s response to insulin (which lowers BG) is diminished (called insulin resistance) and/ or your ability to produce insulin in response to carbs is insufficient to lower BG quickly enough.” Maybe your approach requires restriction to two factors. And maybe this doesn’t directly relate to diet. It just struck me that the mechanisms that tell the liver not to do GNG are a 3rd category of causes. Amylin deficiency is one.

Another thought was about the medical community’s arguments about the ADA diet. To we who know, it cleary doesn’t work, hence all the diabetics getting worse. My doctor argued that it does work, if followed correctly, and would brook no argument. So what to do, just KCKO I guess.

(mcebis) #4

Absolutely agree. I wanted to keep it simple in this blog and focus on an engineering view of the control system rather than complex biochem.

What I did not say out of simplicity is that seeing this as a control system gives another insight. The system is not at steady state yet but it should be. The continued reduction of A1c with no appreciable change in the input (carbs) which has been constant (restricted to <25g) for about a year shows that a biochem change is happening. I interpret this as ‘healing’. It is likely GNG is reducing or insulin sensitivity/ production is improving. That would account for the A1c decline towards (hopefully) an eventual 5.1% or lower.

(mcebis) #5

Thanks. It takes some effort to write a post so all encouragement is welcomed. Expecting the inevitable vegan criticism. Already someone posted a comment with just a link to a lame study showing that in Japan carbs were not associated with T2DM complications to stir me up.

(Dave Linkston) #6

A very interesting blog post, as an engineer this makes perfect sense. What beggars belief is that conventional diabetes management completely overlooks this.