Crying like a baby for no reason

conversationstarters

(Chuck) #1

been crying very often. im an emotional basket case. most def in ketosis. feel soo weak

(Khara) #2

Aw. Hang in there. As we say. KCKO (Keep Calm Keto On). When going low carb or keto, we go through withdrawals. Unfortunately you may be a mess emotionally for a little while. It’ll improve though pretty quickly.
Feeling weak can be a sign of not enough salt or electrolytes. Read up on that on this forum. Salt your food plenty, enough to where it tastes good. And maybe consider an electrolyte supplement like the Keto-aid recipe on this forum.
Also, make sure you are eating enough. Eat until satiated but not stuffed like on Thanksgiving. :nerd_face:
Nice quality fatty protein and maybe some veggies with butter or eggs and bacon. If hungry between meals, add a bit more fat to the meal rather than snacking if possible.
And, just give it time. It sounds like you are new to this. You’ve eaten a carb heavy diet for a number of years. Give your body time to adjust to this new way. Most everyone here will attest to feeling so much better for sticking to it.
Good luck!

(Chuck) #3

thank you for your words. btw I did the Keto diet for 3 months abouta year ago. i lost a lot of weight and felt great but i fell off the wagon and Ive been jumping in & out of ketosis since then. Ive gained double the weight i lost a year ago. right now my main focus isnt soo much loosing weight (although id love it) but im just trying to stop the weight gain. – this time around Ive had nausea, dizzy spells, extreme fatigue. im an emotional mess. my sister mentioned salty food would help… but im feeling very nervous since i have high blood pressure and salt is off limits.

(MooBoom) #4

Hugs!

Fat loss can release oestrogen that was bound up with the fat cells, perhaps there’s something a bit hormonal going on.

I second everything @KBG said.

(MooBoom) #5

If this is indeed the case, you need to put yourself under the care of a qualified medical professional who is experienced in LCHF.

(Khara) #6

Read or listen to The Salt Fix by Dr James DiNicolantonio. A lot of the beginning is a bit slow for my taste but it’s very interesting when he discusses high blood pressure patients being put on low salt diets and their blood pressure actually gets worse and then when they are allowed salt again it improves. If I had high blood pressure and a doctor telling me to eat less salt I’d definitely be researching this more and bringing this book to them and trying to find a doctor willing to work with me on it.

That said, as @MooBoom said, consult with your doc. Hopefully they will work with you. If not, search for another? This way of eating does require some major adjustments of our bodies and it can make us feel crappy early on. I believe we can work through these adjustments but it’s important to understand the physiological reasons for certain things and sometimes we need a doctor to help us through that transition. (Example, many diabetics need to considerably lower their medication or insulin within just a few days of starting this. If they don’t know that and don’t have a doctor helping them, they could really be caught off guard in a bad situation.)
Good luck. I hope you start feeling better soon!

(Karim Wassef) #7

There is a real dopamine reaction to consuming carbs, especially sugars. It’s the same reaction that comes from drugs and can even be more severe.

When you stop, the artificial high from the sugar causes a crash that feels like depression. It’s real.

The good news is that it will pass. The withdrawal symptoms are signals that you are recovering. You will be free and the depression will clear.

(Chuck) #8

Will do. Thank you. I’m glad I came across this forum.
I dont trust Doctors. I will do more research as soon as I’m able to focus on 1 thing. Focus is not my strong point right now. I pray God helps me stay on board. Thanks

(Karim Wassef) #9

make sure you’re drinking broth or other sources of electrolytes and hydration

insufficient salts will aggravate headaches and other problems in thinking and focus.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

Right here you hit it. Going on and off keto, up and down in weight is yo-yo dieting. You really need to stay with it as a lifestyle and not think of it as a weight manipulation. That’s really unhealthy for your metabolism and will damage things further each time you put yourself through it (regaining 2x).

Salt isn’t the culprit for hypertension and heart disease as was believed. It’s about mineral balance. Being low carb means less water retention, a need to hydrate more, and loss of electrolytes faster. We need more salt than carb eaters to stay healthy. Your kidneys regulate sodium in the blood. You aren’t going to elevate your blood levels of sodium by consuming more. Your sister is correct, low to no salt isn’t healthy and getting some in will definitely get you past those nasty things you’re going through.

And here’s an interesting fact, when you cut to very low salt you will indeed lower your blood pressure by about 10 points. But at the same time your resting heart rate will ramp up about 10 bpm to compensate for the lower blood pressure. This is much more detrimental than the higher blood pressure was and is much more likely to cause a cardiovascular disease.

(mole person) #11

Since starting keto two years ago and increasing my salt intake by many, many times (I’d guess minimally X5), my blood pressure has gone from 160/105ish to a perfect 120/80 and my heart rate from about 100 BPM to about 65 BPM.

Now this is completely anecdotal n=1 and I have made many other dietary changes over that time so I don’t even know that the benefit comes from keto, but one thing that I’m certain of is that the salt didn’t make my blood pressure any worse.

(Jay Patten) #12

Sugar is like a drug. Seriously… It has a very similar impact on the brain and it is straight up addicting.

Also, everyone goes through hormonal changes on a ketogenic diet. EVERYONE.

As for the salt, check out some of the latest and greatest research on salt and high blood pressure. You (and your doctor) may be surprised by what you read.

(Jay Patten) #13

I’ve had a very similar experience since starting keto!

It really pisses me off when doctors keep up the salt myth. :angry:
If you don’t want to dig too deep check out Dr. Ken:

Also his interview with Dr. DiNicolantonio:

(Jay Patten) #15

Dr Berry has amazing videos. Love this guy. I live in TN and I have been thinking about switching to him (he does E-Visits).

Yeah, I wish I could find a doc in SC who didn’t worship at the altar of the pharma companies.

(Jay Patten) #17

Luckily my primary care physician has been very open to me being on keto. She gets the whole “keep insulin low --> burn fat” concept. I think my AMAZING cholesterol, blood work and blood pressure may win her over. Perhaps when she sees the long term benefits she will look more closely at the research and put low carb high fat on the table as an option for her patients.