Crushed my running PR

(Michael McMurray) #1

So the last time I ran on a semi regular basis was when my daughter was born last March. I have never been good at running at all and the last time I ran i was 238 pounds, now I am 220.

Last night I decided to break out the running shoes again with the intent of getting my last mile for my 10k egg (yes, I love me some pokemon go :blush:). I felt crazy good after my mile so I decided to just keep going until I didn’t feel good anymore.

I made a big loop and when I got close to my house I still felt good so I detoured away and made an even wider loop. Finally came back around to my house and despite still feeling like I could keep going I decided not to burn myself for today, I have a very physical job and go to the gym before work too so I wanted to keep some in the tank.

My first mile was about 15min because I got stuck at the road forever trying to cross but I never thought I had that in me. Probably one of my best NSV so far!

Edit: Forgot to mention that my PR before this was only 1.3 miles and I would usually run about an 8.5 min mile, that was me pushing for my fastest single mile I could go, I feel way more accomplished with the distance PR!

(Suzanne Barton) #2

Congrats! I :sparkling_heart: Running but have been sidelined for 2+ years due to chronic plantar fasciitis. One of the things I am hoping keto will repair so I can start up again. Soooooo looking forward to that!

(Tim) #3

Hey Michael, wanna do something crazy with me?

(Michael McMurray) #4

My first thought when I saw this was thats crazy, so was my second thought :stuck_out_tongue:, but I cant imagine what it would be like to do something like that! Where is this at?

(Tim) #5

Crystal Mountain, WA

Sept 16, Starts at 8 AM, 9401 feet of elevation gain so 18802 feet of elevation delta, all over 26.2 miles. Attempted it last year, couldn’t do it.

Wanna go? :slight_smile:

(Michael McMurray) #6

That isn’t far from me, im in Portland :smiley:

Yeah that is something that I would love to be able to do in the future. For sure can’t attempt that in 2 months lol. Maybe I can make a goal to get myself ready for it next year. 14 months from nothing to 26.2 miles. Damn that seems like a daunting task lol. I like the idea of a huge goal like that though!

(Doug) #7

Tim, I’d never heard of that marathon, and in reading about it I see the average slope is 12.7% uphill, and 12.3% down. Wow…

(Tim) #8

Figured 6 months was enough warning.

(Tim) #9

Yeah I think I’m still going to attempt it this year with my goal being to finish before the 10 hour cutoff.

(Michael McMurray) #10

So the other day when I posted that I mentioned that I felt like I could go further. Well today I went out and went until I couldn’t anymore. Here is where i’m at, I ran until my legs would not stop trying to cramp up on me and knew I was done then. That was the only thing that stopped me, everything else felt great! Pretty excited about this! Now I know how much I want to run in order to start improving.

This was at a state park, my girls rode their bikes and I ran. Lots of hills that were fun, nothing like running through a state park in the northwest! This is my second run I’ve done since March 25th 2016, the previous post being my first. I knew in the middle of the run if I wasn’t using ketones there would be no way I could have accomplished this. I just had no stamina before.

I plan on getting a heart rate monitor and improving my running, I have never looked into running once in my life but now I find myself wanting to know more about it.

(Amy pettis) #11

I started keto because I bonked in my first marathon last fall. I managed to finish, but it was pretty painful. I have another scheduled for October this year, with a 50k scheduled two weeks later. My question to you all is, has anyone here used superstarch, and if so, what are your thoughts? I struggle with choking it down and am not sure I’m actually seeing the benefit of it because I find the texture so off-putting that I can only manage to choke down a half packet or so at a time.

(Amy pettis) #12

This race looks AWESOME!