Crossfit goes to war with Facebook over LCHF, Banting

Facebook recently shut down the group “Banting7DayMealPlan” without explanation. Crossfit has retaliated by suspending their use of FB etc. They sound really pissed.

Anyone know any details about why or who triggered the Banting group’s shut down and subsequent reopening? It sounds like something an anti-LCHF person or group would try to pull by filing a complaint about the group maybe?

8. Facebook is acting in the service of food and beverage industry interests by deleting the accounts of communities that have identified the corrupted nutritional science responsible for unchecked global chronic disease. In this, it follows the practices of Wikipedia and other private platforms that host public content but retain the ability to remove or silence—without the opportunity for real debate or appeal—information and perspectives outside a narrow scope of belief or thought. In this case, the approved perspective has resulted in the deaths of millions through preventable diseases. Facebook is thus complicit in the global chronic disease crisis.
For these reasons, CrossFit, Inc. has placed Facebook and its associated properties under review and will no longer support or use Facebook’s services until further notice. https://www.crossfit.com/battles/crossfit-suspends-facebook-instagram

I have to wonder if any other FB groups will suffer the same fate.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #2

I noticed this on Prof. Tim Noakes’ FB page the other day actually. Rather worrying, but not surprising either! There’s no such thing as a right to an opinion anymore. Other pages will subsequently suffer the same fate for sure…

(less is more, more or less) #3

This is sad. FB has been banning extremist groups and people, for which most people are comfortable. To put a banting group in the same league as Alex Jones is nuts beyond words. Yet, it’s FB’s football to do as they please.

(Scott) #4

After I discovered that FaceBook was deliberately muting or delisting content based on their own ideas of what they think I should be seeing I stopped using FaceBook completely.

If only I didn’t use it occasionally for things linked there, I would have deleted my account long ago.
These forums were founded on a :nofb: demographic.

Found another update… FB explanation looks sketchy at best

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #7

I’m so close to closing mine down. I don’t like the thought of someone else deciding what I can and cannot see on social media.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #8

Exactly! Of all the crap that’s allowed to circulate on social media, and ‘they’ choose to close down a page dedicated to healthier food choices??!! Madness.

Coke lobbyists are richer than the low-carb crowd :frowning:

I ditched social media years ago, around 2010 or so. If someone is wants to reach me without hearing my voice they can send me a text.

I’m glad I was a teenager 20 years ago and not now…

(Cristian Lopez) #12

I’m a cross-fitter at my box and I get dirty looks from parents when I wear my “keto-normie” tank top ):

Ditched facebook a while back. Happier for it.
This is the only “social media” account I have now.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #14

Me too!!!

('Jackie P') #15

Me three!
I find this shocking! I know there was recent criticism of social media for encouraging eating disorders, and OMAD was cited as one such “outrage”. But this is going too far!
Actually I have never had a FB account, partly because I am a technophobe and don’t know what I’m doing but it doesn’t really interest me.

(Bob M) #16

What’s “Facebook”? :grinning: Have never had an account. If I was in college or a teen, maybe I’d think about an account, but I really don’t want to know what people are eating each day.

Yep, I deleted my account last year, no regrets whatsoever!

(Todd Allen) #18

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/facebook-is-an-infectious-disease-and-will-lose-80-of-users-by-2017-say-researchers-9079342.html

So the prediction was over optimistic but with luck and better alternatives like ketogenicforums gaining ground it may still happen…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #19

I only use Facebook for keeping up with what family and friends are up too. Not really interested in groups other than the Amputation Coalition. I guess tons of ridiculous stuff happens on Facebook but I don’t really come in contact with it. Why do I need a Keto group on Facebook when ketogenicforums.com is so great? :cowboy_hat_face:

I’ve been grumpy lately… I’ve taken myself out of all keto and IP groups, subscribe below, like my video, like my page, like my post, pointless posts created just for likes, all these blogs and people I followed are just one big ad service… I know I’m fighting with windmills, but it really feels better once you just stop scrolling.