Cross-over study, comparison of Med diet versus keto on markers for arthritis

(Bob M) #1

A cross-over study is where they put the same people on the same diets, in this case a Med diet (MD) and a keto diet (KD). They had a “washout period” of 6 weeks, which is a time period in between the diets. The randomized people into two groups. One got the KD first, then washout, then MD; the other got the MD first, then washout, then KD.

These were people with arthritis, so they were looking to reduce biomarkers of inflammation. Here are some results, where the KD does better than the MD:

Their conclusion:

(B Creighton) #2

Thanks Bob. I view this study as interesting, and a starting point for a longer study, because I am somewhat dubious of studies which attempt to measure results using only biomarkers… which can be cherry-picked somewhat. A study on heart disease markers with I think low carb comes to mind. Hopefully, someone will do a study looking to get actual relief and improvement from arthritis… I would find that more useful. I believe such a study using keto, together with vitamin D and vitamin K2 supplementation would probably yield good results. I have a brother-in-law with terrible arthritis, and I’m sure he would be happy to be rid of it… He tried veganism, and it didn’t work…

PS. Have you tried supplementing with niacinamide for your Lp(a)?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

I don’t know. N = 16, and there’s not a single statistically significant result in the table Bob included in his post. I also wonder whether eight weeks is long enough to start seeing effects, since it took about six months on keto before my arthritis cleared up. Still, giving eight weeks to each intervention is highly laudable, since most researchers are satisfied with only two.

Too bad they couldn’t enroll more participants in the study. With a sample size that small, there will be a lot of noise in the data.

It’s late for me; I’ll look into this more in the morning and will revise my thoughts accordingly.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Well, I can already see one thing I read wrong: N=16; the intervention arms each started with 13 people, and then

Overall, one patient dropped out during the KD intervention, four patients during MD, and five patients during the washout period. In total, sixteen patients completed this study and were included in the final analysis

So there is still going to be a low signal/noise ratio.

The weight reductions from the two diets were both statistically and clinically significant. The Mediterranean diet weight loss was around 7 kg, the keto loss around 10 kg. Both are great enough to be noticeable. Most of the biochemical markers measured did not change significantly. The keto diet produced a drop in triglycerides, but it was not statistically significant, to my way of thinking, at least. The authors seem to think that a p <= 0.05 is significant; whereas the statisticians John Ioannidis and David Colquhoun argue strenuously against this as a gross misunderstanding of what the p-value tells us. CERN, by contrast, looks for 6-σ deviations from the mean, which is p < 0.0001 (if I got that right).

The researchers notice a reduction in the participants’ PASI and DAPSA scores, which measure the severity of psoriasis and of psoriatic arthritis, respectively. However, their p-value is 0.04, which . . . .

The remark in my earlier post about not continuing the study long enough to see results is both true and misleading. Obviously, the study lasted long enough for the reasearchers to see some benefit from the diets (more from keto, yay!), but my own experience with seasonal eczema and rheumatoid arthritis suggests that a year would not have been too long to study the participants.

So all in all, I’d call this an encouraging pilot study, and reiterate the usual comment that “further research is needed.”

(Bob M) #5

I do take a supplement, but it’s really for my part MTHFR. The supplement has methylated B vitamins, and MTHFR causes a problem with methylization. What this means for me is that my ferritin, which is a marker of my body’s access to iron, is low, even though I have plenty of iron floating around. I’ve been taking B vitamins to increase my ferritin.

I stopped giving blood, too. My last ferritin test was much higher, above 100 from near 20.

Let me check to see what my vitamins actually have before I comment more.

(B Creighton) #6

I take about 1 gr of niacinamide/day to boost NAD, but if you take extra niacin, it tends to also boost homocysteine. There are things you can do to limit homocysteine. One is you have to have sufficient B12, which people with MTHFR issues typically lack. My wife is an example like you apparently. Some doctors have shied away from niacinamide supplementation to limit Lp(a), but it is a known modality.