Crespo olives - zero carbs?

newbies

(Oli) #1

hallo… first post. 2 weeks in. doing ok.

Crespo brand pitted black olives claim on the jar to be 0g carbs / 100g olives. …i don’t believe it! …does anyone have any knowledge about that, or any other comments?
thanks,
Oli.

(less is more, more or less) #2

Does the label mention “fibre?” That’s another word for carb. If so, how much?

(bulkbiker) #3

Not sure that’s possible…
Nutrition advice from Ocado says Uh uh…

(Allie) #4

I’ll stick with the Tesco version looking at those carbs - 3.3g per 100g rather than 9.7g per 100g.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Black olives have about 3x the carbs as green olives. :confused: I love kalamata olives for cooking but use the green ones for snacking (Jalapeño stuffed) :yum:. I have been slowly using up my kalamatas and probably won’t buy more. :confused: I don’t believe that the zero carb claim is true or even possible.

(Allie) #6

I can’t even open the jar I have in the cupboard so maybe they’ll just stay there now :joy: I’ll have to do a label check to compare now as I have green olives too.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Jar opening trick: turn it upside down and do a couple of gentle taps on a hard surface on the edge of the cap. You should maybe have a tiny dent in the edge and that will break the vacuum seal and then it will be easy to open. Never been a fan of jar opening kitchen gadgets!

(Allie) #8

Tried all the tricks so far, including one of the gadgets you dislike, but no luck. The gadget works fine on the green olives and gherkins, but doesn’t want me getting to the black olives :joy:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #9

Hot water.

(Allie) #10

Turned the jar upside down, poked a steak knife in the gap between the glass and the metal lid, wiggled it around a bit and broke the seal :joy:

They don’t smell as appealing as the green ones but I’ve just drained all the brine out and replaced it with EVOO which will make them taste better I’m sure :joy:

(Oli) #11

here’s the jar.
so yes…they claim some fibre that’s not counted as carbohydrate somehow… but it still seems they’re claiming essentially zero net carbs.

(Oli) #12

…isn’t the “that sugars” essentially the “net carbs” as far as we’re concerned?

(Oli) #13

3g fibre… but that doesn’t count towards “net carbs” does it?

(Allie) #14

So it’s basically saying the only carbs in it are fibre… doesn’t make sense when compared to the Tesco equivalent with the exact same ingredients.

(bulkbiker) #15

That’s simply not possible… must be mislabelled somehow. There are definitely carbs in all olives. Th fibre is listed completely separately in the UK but that label must be wrong… sorry.

(Allie) #16

This is the nutrition info for this brand that Tesco show. Made in Morocco, the labelling info on it HAS to be wrong.

(less is more, more or less) #17

I count total carbs. Even the unicorn ones.