Crawfish, Keto Louisiana gulf coast style

(jay) #1

Ps. The corn, the potatoes, are for color and show.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

That looks so good!!!

(jay) #3

My nephew tempered the seasoning just right, plus they were basin crawfish, ieā€¦free range harvested , not industrially farmed.

(Sophie) #4

Nice!!! Do you suck the heads? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(jay) #5

Sure thatā€™s where the tasty fat is

(Chuck) #6

I had my first taste of crawfish in Houston last week. They were prepared in garlic butter. Tasted really good but too much work for this guy! I think I spent more energy getting to the meat than I was taking in eating it!

What a beauuuuutiful table!

The whole ā€œcrawfish boilā€ community party thing is SO FUN. Have been to two in my lifeā€¦ back in the days when I ate hot potatoes. Now that Iā€™m LCHF/keto, Iā€™d only be able to have two bites of hot potato, and thatā€™d be an adjustment Iā€™m willing to make :smiley:

(jay) #8

Those little potatoes really soak up the flavors, baby corn, garlicā€¦they do make nice side dishes. We put in some Andouille, but it would be great to replace the traditional spice infused potatoes and corn with lesser carbed up alternatives.

Yeah - for one pot at least. A total replacement would make some hot-potato fans like myself cry (even for two bites, lol).

Oh yeah!

Out west our crawfish are literally the size of small lobsters. Crazy but yum!

(jay) #11

How do y all cook crawfish out west? Butter, garlic?

We either cook 'em Southern style in a big pot with corn and potatoes, or we pretend theyā€™re lobsters and serve with melted butter. I donā€™t know very many people who eat them, even though we have the huge (and invasive) signal crayfish here that are really good. I mean, they even have claw meat.

Me, I usually make a keto crayfish chowder.

(Marta Loftfield) #13

Love mudbugs! Just got back from NOLA.

(Cynthia) #14

Crawfish, Memphis style! You can tell it is spring in the south!

(jay) #15

Nice sloped table setup. Some country restaurants around here have holes built in the center to push in the empty shells.

(jay) #16

Iā€™d love to see some picks of those big ones. Crawfish are farmed here as a double crop along with rice and are consistantly larger in size. The basin wild catch crawfish, seen in the original post pics, vary much more in size thru the season but are generally more flavorful

(Cynthia) #17

The table was great! It was a sheet of plywood with two holes cut into it. Trash cans were place under the holes and were the base of the table. The host attached boards to make the well in the middle for the food. Then he covered it all in plastic and paper. Easy clean up and the liquids donā€™t soak into the wood.

Happy spring!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #18

Ok, I know this post is old, but a friend in Oregon recently shared these crawdad pics with me:

They are screenshots from a video (on Instagram so I couldnā€™t download he video) pretty cool watching ā€˜im crawl around on the grass.