Cramps and Fatigue

(Mehmet Uyaroviç) #1

I started keto for no sugar and carb life, my main goal was not losing weight. I like to way I am eating, I really like everything on keto except fatigue and cramps.

This my 16th day, after the first week I thought I lost keto flu but last week I ran for 9.7km, I think I lost a lot of water but I drunk a lot maybe 5 liters a day.

I am still exhausted like a hell, every move on my leg has pain thanks to cramps, I really afraid to run or walk again, I am drinking soda-lemon-salt (Churchill) every day.

What should I do, I really don’t want to quit keto but I can’t stay at home like this forever, I want to do some exercises.

Please help me.

(Omar) #2

are you suffcient in magnesium?

(Lonnie Hedley) #3

+1 for supplementing magnesium. Also, adding salt will help with fatigue. Thirdly, are you eating enough? Could you provide age, weight, and a sample of what you’re eating in a day?

(Mehmet Uyaroviç) #4

I am 36 years old, weight is 83 kg , I started keto at 86kg . I was nearly 82.3 last week .

For 3 days example,
I start the day with coffee , kakao and coconut oil. (Bulletproof coffee)
I am eating, yogurt , strawberries, blackberries and raspberry.
Main meal , meat , eggs with butter. Some cheddar cheese added.

Last week I cook brocoli pizza, shrimp etc. Everyday it was different but now I am really tired to cook.

What if I eat 1 banane everyday for magnesium?

(Lonnie Hedley) #5

Berries in moderation. Yogurt can have a lot of carbs. Bananas are basically nature’s candy bars.

I’d cut the berries and yogurt for a while. Since you’re not real specific with your food, a guess would be that you aren’t eating enough calories and that’s why you’re fatigued. Eat more, especially more fat. Heavily salt your food. Maybe take small amounts of salt on its own. Magnesium is hard to get from food. If you don’t want to supplement, mushrooms are supposed to be a good source of magnesium.

(Natasha) #6

You could try using ‘Lo Salt’ in your drink (contains potassium) and take a magnesium supplement.

(Mehmet Uyaroviç) #7

Yoğurt can’t have carb because I do it myself buying raw milk, yeah I know that banana has a lot carbs but I am desperate. I was eating some pumpkin seed for magnesium but it seems , it is also not recommended for keto diet.

I am using Himalayan rock salt, is it ok like lo salt?

(MelissaH) #8

I think as others have commented you need to make sure you are getting your electrolytes in. These are the daily recommendations
Potassium 4700mg
Magnesium 350-500mg
Sodium 3-5g
You can search the forum for a ketoaid recipe to help with your leg cramps. Lite salt is for potassium btw not magnesium. HTH!! Also, pumpkin seeds are fine on keto

(Mehmet Uyaroviç) #9

My cramps gone away after I started to drink redbull no sugar daily, I walk totally 25km at the weekends on sunday it was 14km, last night I had 144 heart rate, I went to hospital and stayed for 3-4 hours. Now if I walk its 110 and normally goes up and down.

I guess I lost to much water do electrolytes can do that? I am really scared…

(Yvonne Cuenin) #10

More salt. Make some bone broth add salt and add a slice of butter to each serving. It really taste good. Drink that 2x’s a day and pick up a bottle of magnesium. This worked for me. It took about a week before I felt better and the cramping went away. Salt, salt, salt

Sometimes when on Keto because of inner processes the ratio between calcium and magnesium is disturbed, and adding more magnesium can even make this ratio more worse. Cramps in legs can be caused both by deficit of magnesium and/or calcium. So try supplementing with calcium if Mg does not work to make this Ca:Mg ratio more normal.
Also lack of potassium can cause cramps, but please do not supplement with it because it affects heart function, instead, add few more tomatoes to your meals, I know that they have more carbs, but they are really good source of natural potassium and lycopene (a great antioxidant and anti-age compound) so their benefits are multiple.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #12

As correctly mentioned before by fellow Ketopians, electrolytes and salt are everything!
Also if you drink lotttts of water you tend to loose them more quickly, so do not force it and just drink as needed.
I hope this helps and you can continue your healthy Keto WOE. :smiley: