Covid woe

(Luke) #1

Hi I’ve had covid recently , recovered , travelled and caught some other type of flu once I got home. My diet was pretty messed up since covid. It’s been about a month all up. Anyone else have trouble when sick. Do you crave sugar when sick?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I found I had a craving for carbs, but not sugar itself (sucrose, that is), while sick, so I did indulge a bit. I knew I was feeling better when my regular keto diet started being more appealing again. In the early days of the epidemic, there were indications that a higher level of serum glucose might work against the virus, but I don’t know if that has been borne out by later research.

In any case, returning to a regular keto diet seemed to help my post-Covid recovery. Recovery took some time, but I eventually got over the fatigue. Keto had helped with the fatigue syndrome I acquired from a viral infection in 2006, so it was no surprise that I recovered from Covid fatigue more quickly than most people I know. (But it still took months.) Now I’m dealing with Lyme disease and eating almost entirely carnivore, so as to hasten recovery from the peripheral neuropathy, which is a pain, both literally and figuratively.

(Luke) #3

Hi Paul. I feel like a bit of a sook now compared to what you are dealing with. I hope you get well soon.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

No need to feel that way. Just keep calm, keto on, and get better! :+1:

P.S.–You asked “do you crave sugar when sick?” and I forgot to answer that generally, no, I don’t. It was only with Covid that I craved carbs (more than I usually crave carbs, that is, lol!). Generally, I just keep on with my keto diet, even when sick.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #5

Bone Broth - best recovery food in any diet :sneezing_face:

(Bob M) #6

WOE: way of eating or “woe is me”?

(Luke) #7

I thought I’d be clever with this title, it’s both.

(Bob M) #8

That is clever!

First COVID run was Delta and since I couldn’t taste anything anyways so hard to crave, although I could still taste salt and really spicy things, but doesn’t translate to a meal well. Probably the most perfect I’ve ever eaten, for a long time.

Round two was that really weak one and I changed nothing for that at all as far as diet goes.

(Alec) #10

On keto, I used to get sick and I would chug carbs like mad. I always fell off the wagon and then struggled to get back on.

On carnivore I have been sick twice in 20 months (way less than normal). Each time, I stuck to carnivore really easily. No cravings. If I ever felt in any way deprived or hungry, I ate a steak. I then no longer felt deprived or hungry.

(Luke) #11

Good to know it’s just not me being lazy. I’m not going nuts but I put something in everyday that messes up the keto, I wouldn’t be in ketosis. It’s like being hung over , that Salad just won’t cut it. The struggle is real. :+1:t2::joy:
I did a reasonable fast today from yesterday arvo until 1 pm today. So getting there. Cheers.

(Karen) #12

I got Covid in May, first timer, it was flippin nasty! What i found was that the only stuff that tasted okay was meat n eggs mainly, once my appetite came back. Condiments were awful as was tea and coffee so for me it was definitely the plant based stuff that sucked which was just as well being a zero carber!

I have avoided Covid so far, I don’t go among crowds anymore. If I get it, I will be a statistic asap, my allergies and asthma will complicate my breathing so much that I will be done for in no time. So, I leave the playing field to younger generations and just stay away from people myself.

(Luke) #14

I’d like to think you would be ok , with the vaccines have been around for a while?

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #15

Me too, despite sharing a bed with my twice covid partner. My father did the same,
We might be immune Velvet. Some people seem genetically to be protected.

(Karen) #16

I thought i was immune until this May :roll_eyes: i worked right through Covid doing overtime covering for everyone taking time off. I was a prison officer in a large establishment and constantly around people. Never got it! Then this May, retired and not amongst many peeps, completely knocked off my feet by it. Don’t get too complacent… it is real and it is still out there.

Who knows for sure? Us older folks are still dying from it. I don’t mind so much, I am an introvert. Most people are extroverts and get energy from being with others, introverts get energy from being alone. I like being by myself. And Velvet is good company. There are plenty of no-contact ways to spend time with old friends these days. I’m fine.

(Geoffrey) #18

Eating the way we eat I would assume that our bodies would be better equipped, nutritionally to fight back.

Old is old, impaired airways are impaired airways. Seems a stupid thing for me to die from. I’ve done some gambling in Vegas, but not doing it with my life at this stage. And like I said, I am an introvert.

I am a hermit with pretty good immune system. I have no idea if I had Covid, maybe the light but persistent cold (more than a week?! very unusual. catching a cold is unusual to begin with but I am fine after 3 days normally) was that as it came from my SO who actually meet other humans…

I try to keep my woe good anyway as it’s very hedonistic to do so, good for health and well-being. And many other things too, how lucky…
A good diet surely helps with various health related things. I don’t consider keto some special magic here, it’s somewhat individual and it’s not that simple but surely it’s better to do some health-conscious keto than some stupid thing many modern humans do. I wouldn’t overestimate keto though. Or think that someone on HCHF wouldn’t fare better than me when facing it JUST because of their woe. But keto may help us, sure, if it suits us and we do it right.