Could we PLEASE stop telling people that fasting is the solution to everything?

(Running from stupidity) #127

It was all you :slight_smile:

But your reply polished it :slight_smile:

Hours 36-70 of a fast is like taking a pill from the movie limitless for me. It’s the only legal way I have found that puts an “S” on my chest.

I was going to mention it as well, (Been chuckling about it) but scrolled down and seen that Juice already did. … But I too found it quite funny when I read it, and found it somewhat fitting! I actually like the idea of eating until fool. Just has a more fun feeling to it. :slight_smile: gives new meaning to Silly Meals. :smile:

True…i do eat like a fool sometimes, even my husband is amazed by what I can eat :joy:

You obviously haven’t seen my dishes on the thread 'What did you Keto today? Part Deux … I get razzed all the time about them. Right @juice ? :slight_smile:

I wonder what percentage of fasters have actually consulted a Doctor about it? 5%? 10%?

Don’t know about what % it might be? - But when the wife and I spoke with our Doctor (who’s also our neighbor) about doing Keto, my wife did mention to her that I was Fasting, and up to 5 days at a time. (Wife wasn’t Fasting yet at that time) … Her response was simply; ‘Fasting is actually quite good for you’

(Pete A) #136

Of course there are benefits but this guy won’t miss a meal! :grinning: I fast between meals that’s about it haha

It doesnt mean I’m against skipping a meal or fasting in the future, but I’m happy with my results so see no need to change that.

(Marsha) #137

Thank you. So much.

I’ve been keto for almost 2 years now. I do 16/8 IF (sort of-- I have a tea with a splash of heavy cream in the morning). I’ve tried 24 hour fasts, well after being fat adapted, but I didn’t feel euphoric, good, mentally clear or any of the other things people say they feel. Nor is fasting “freeing” for me – it’s much harder for me to manage my work obligations (which include socializing with various groups) and home obligations (I like sitting down to a keto dinner with my family) when fasting than it is by simply continuing to eat keto. I did fast for 5 days one time immediately following surgery for a ruptured appendix and peritonitis, but that was me listening to my body say it wasn’t interested in expending effort to digest food while it was dealing with recovery from surgery. My body has never given me that message since then. :grin: I also don’t like the idea of losing weight during the fast and then immediately putting it back on during the necessary feast, as seems to happen with many folks. I’m sure people will tell me it’s different, but it feels too much like some of the dieting I did as a younger woman to be comfortable for me.

So all my best to those of you who find fasting helpful and beneficial. And thank you to those who offer the different perspective that fasting isn’t necessarily the way for all.

(Randy) #138

I’m on it! Good thing I just had my dinner :joy: i’m no fool, I still drool…:wink:

Yep, one of the threads I make sure to hit, whether fasting or not. Doesn’t bother me at all, but some don’t like visiting it when they are. …But they still seem to find their way to it though. :slight_smile: … Good place to share and gain new ideas for creating meals. As well as a bunch of knowledge on just about everything. :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #141

I dunno, why you asking ME?

:slight_smile:

Yeah, my doc was the same as Dave’s. Mind you, she’s a AWESOME doc so I wasn’t surprised.

I like that you put a brave face on it like that :rofl:

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

It gets OT occasionally, agreed.

:smiley:

(Pete A) #142

I am “fasted” for 4-5 hours between, and 15 overnight and as a life long snacker, feel fasted :grinning:

(Bob M) #143

Why on earth would you talk to a doctor about this? I had a doctor’s appointment not too long ago where they counseled me on avoiding saturated fat. “How’s your saturated fat intake?”, they asked. I said, “Great!”

How many doctors know about and believe in keto? How many believe in intermittent or long term fasting? I’ve had to change doctors so many times because I can’t find a doctor who believes in low carb, and the one I did left. She gave me the number to another doctor she knows is low carb, and I’ve made an appointment, but she’s over an hour’s drive from where I work. And’s she is one of the very few low carb doctors I can find in my entire STATE. Now try to find one that also thinks fasting is a good idea.

I am not trying to convince people that fasting is the “solution” to everything, but for some of us, it’s better than keto or low carb. It’s also much easier to do. Didn’t eat? Check.

Eat? What’s your omega 6 to omega 3 ratio? What’s your protein intake? OMG! How many carbs are in that? Eating out? What did they cook that meat in? High PUFA oil? How many calories are you eating? Should you eat fiber or not eat fiber? Do you care about it? What about protiotics? Prebiotics?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #144

I love you for this. This explains it and sums it up for many.
I had such a fantastic week. Monday through Friday? I didn’t eat.
At all.
120 hours.
Euphoria, yes.
Clear thinking? Yes.
Energy? Yes.
Guaranteed burning visceral fat as a former type 2? Yes.
Dexa scans to confirm? Yes.
I love it. I love fasting. Hell I teach therapeutic fasting for a living now. But if you don’t like it? You don’t have to do it. Is it part of being on a ketogenic diet? No, not at all. We’re all adults here. If you don’t want to fast? Don’t.
Simple.
:slight_smile:

(Janelle) #145

What do you suppose causes the euphoria? I personally have been a proud fuddy duddy my whole life. I’m a happy person and suffer from none of the depression that often plagued my mom growing up. I refuse any drug that changes my mental state (with the exception of a single glass of wine or whatever a couple of times a year). Yep, I’m that person so the euphoria thing isn’t even attractive to me.

Agree with your post, except for this part. A ketogenic diet is any way of eating/not eating that results in a state of ketosis. It is not defined by carb level, because that varies by individual. If can eat 75g of carbs a day and be in ketosis, that’s a ketogenic diet. If I can follow an IF protocol and be in ketosis, that’s a ketogenic diet.

A ketogenic diet doesn’t even need to be LC. There is a member of my family who can eat 150g of carbs and still be in ketosis. He’s a young, lean, male, endurance athlete who’s (obviously) metabolically healthy.

(Jenny) #147

a young male endurance athlete is probably an exception, yes. *

*theres always an exception ppl