Could I get a second set of eyes?

(Pamela) #41

So that’s not off the table but I’m fighting not to. Reason being, I’d like to make long term sustainable changes and I hope I don’t need to work regular fasting into a permanent routine. But I have to see the numbers. Getting this weight loss jump started at 50 is turning into some fancy footwork, I may need to pull out all the stops. It’s the next step if 1,100 calories doesn’t show some numbers moving in the next 10 days.

I’ll give plain black coffee a go tomorrow morning and see if it’s something I can live with.

(Barbara Schibly) #42

Actually, it may be easier than what you are currently doing. I’ve had patients lose 20 pounds and more just doing time-restricted feeding (limiting the time you eat during the day to 6-8 hours) They didn’t count calories (bad idea anyway). They didn’t even count carbs. In fact, they didn’t change their diet at all. And there are a TON of benefits to fasting beyond weight loss. See https://www.ForgetCalories.org/benefits-of-fasting.

(Tyler) #43

I’m only 2 months in to Keto but I can offer what has helped me. I was like you, I had things that I was convinced I couldn’t do or give up. When I started doing a 24 hour fast just once a week and eating during a 6 hour window the rest of the week I found very quickly that those things that I felt so dependent on were just my body and minds way of showing me just how much I needed to cut those things out. My crutch like yours was peanut butter. After such a short time I have no craving or desire for it. I feel more in control of myself. As far as being able to do a fast I was completely amazed at how my body and mind adapted to it. Either way don’t let yourself be afraid of giving it a full effort a little at a time. Good luck with whatever you decide.

(mole person) #44

I agree with strongly with the above advice. But you don’t even need to think yet about longer fasts. Start with getting all of your calories in 8 hours. It’s only 4 hours longer than your current regime but you might find even this extension of your low insulin fasted state might increase you losses.

I never did any extended fasting. But I worked my way to two meals within 6 hours about half the time and one meal the rest depending on my hunger. I’m sitting here now at 104 pounds at 5’5 and 52 years old. The shorter feeding window is now so completely normal that it is my normal eating pattern. So don’t think about needing it to be sustainable by your current opinions of what that means; those can change.

(Pamela) #45

Wow! So many great ideas everyone … I love this forum. I am NOT stuck, at least not for long. This morning I had a little breakthrough at my weigh in, coming in at 214.6 — now that’s what I’m talking about! It’s all these little changes adding up all the time. I credit losing the crystal light for this downturn, I didn’t do anything different except have a massive peanut butter treat yesterday resulting in a whopping 1,664 calorie day. Go figure!

Boy, aren’t the changes scary though? Losing that crystal light was near panic inducing. Maybe I could lose the morning coffee and really pump up my 6 hour eating window, since that’s where I’m consuming most calories. I laugh at the idea right now, but to be honest, it makes me wonder what I miss out on in life by sticking to my little routines. I like to think of myself as an easy going person, but it’s turning out my dependence on my habits is pretty rigid actually. It goes beyond nutrition and fitness, I’m sure.

I’ll be back in 10 days.

IMO I’d say no, you’re doing intense exercise 4x week / fast walks 6x/wk and not even eating the “normal” 2k day. You’re asking a lot from your body, especially when it comes to the strength training. People love to argue / debate the energy in/out whether it’s in the blind context of CICO or otherwise, but the reality is if your body wants/needs more fuel than it’s being provided… it will respond by adapting (slowing down) and that’s the LAST thing you want when weight loss or even muscle gain is wanted. I’m not a fan of “eat more” being default advise but in your case there may be something there. I also wouldn’t be afraid of protein, especially when strength gains are on the table.

(Pamela) #47

You may be right.

Also, the crystal light is some nasty voodoo shit — down another 2 pounds today!

I’m going to keep the calories in the 1,250 range, I think losing the crystal light is going to make all the difference. I feel good, so let’s see what happens.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

Looking at your numbers, I’d suggest limiting carbohydrate to no more than 20 g/day and increasing your caloric intake substantially. Even with insulin low from not eating carbohydrate, the body still refuses to metabolise its fat reserves if it thinks there is a famine happening. The body will actually start to consume muscle before it will part with the last of its fat store. This is the reason we advise eating to satiety—let your body determine the caloric deficit, don’t impose one, and it will then feel safe parting with some of that excess stored fat in your adipose tissue.

(Pamela) #49

Thanks Paul. Sound suggestions, I’ve actually been moving to tighten up the carbs and recommitting to weighing everything. I was feeling fine at the lower calories at first, but the past couple days I’ve felt pretty worn out. Today is a gym day and I’m not looking forward to slogging through.

I’m going to return to the 1250 mark but clamp down on the carbs a bit.

(Pamela) #50

Well it’s been 2 weeks and I’m down 6 more pounds — 208.8! Thanks so much for your help everyone!

I’ve been eating in the 1250-1350 range. I tightened up my carbs to 20 net (from 25-30) and eased up just a bit on the exercise and the scale is dropping fast again. In all, I’m eating more and exercising less, but I stopped the crystal light and I’m convinced that the constant maltodextrin I was consuming was really slowing my weight loss. And I feel great! Thanks everyone!

(Susan) #51

That is terrific, Pamela, congrats =)).

(Becky) #52

@davisgirl

Congratulations on your successes to date!! Keep up the great work!

(Marianne) #53

Wow, you have really committed and made a lot of excellent modifications - good for you! You get used to it. I used to detest plain water; now, it is the only thing I drink (other than a cup of coffee once a day). Still not my favorite thing, but small trade off.

I agree; fasting will always be there when you are ready to start. I think the longer you are on keto and eating sufficiently, you just morph to that point naturally. Three meals a day becomes two and usually at some point, two meals a day becomes one.

Just one last observation, I would encourage you to up your calories. I know that is contrary to everything we’ve ever done with conventional dieting. If you maintain 1100 calories per day for an extended period, you run the risk of slowing your metabolism. With that few amount of calories, it will begin to think it has to slow in order to conserve calories until the food scarcity is over. Eat to satiety but don’t count the calories. The most important thing is to keep the carbs as low as possible (total vs. net). The lower you can go under 20 a day, the more weight loss you should experience.

Good luck; hang in there!

(Pamela) #54

Thanks for the kind words! This has been an amazing journey.

I took a month off the diet. I got as low as 193 at one point, today I’m at 196. I just felt like I needed some time off to regroup a bit. I was noticing loose skin starting to crop up and I’m hoping some time off will help.

This week I’m back with my routine and feeling great. Excited for phase 2!