Couch Potato to Energizer Bunny

(grace elizabeth) #1

That’s my plan, anyway. For way too long I have been sedentary and enjoyed things like reading, researching, watching documentaries, board games, crafting, etc.

As I get older I KNOW I have to find activities that get me off my butt that I can actually do and hopefully enjoy doing. As a result of my couch potato status and extra pounds, I have intermittent knee and hip pain. I know that if I get moving it should help with these things.

I have been doing Keto for a couple weeks now and feel like I need to start moving more. I saw a great video on another thread. Zach Bush 4 minute workout. I’ve actually started doing it and find it very doable for me. I hope to work up to several times a day. I also want to start walking on most days. Problem with that is I live on a very busy road, up a steep hill. So have to drive someplace to get a good walk in. Not impossible and I will add walking twice a week to start.

Any advice or encouragement is appreciated. I wanted to put this in writing so I can come back and look at my good intentions if I start to backslide.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

Walking is a great exercise. Try to go a pace a little faster than you would normally walk if you were just trying to get from point A to point B. Increase your pace as you become more comfortable with it.
If it interest you, kayaking is a good upper body workout and can be very serine. It’s a great way to get out and enjoy nature. I know it’s not for everyone, but it’s easy for those beginning exercise, so I thought I’d throw it out there.

(Pete A) #3

Start slow and stick with it and as the pounds come off you will grow into it.

I also live on a busy road with a steep hill and used to drive to walk, now I hike right up that damn thing! It’s been a very exciting 9 keto-months and the results, benefits to my 54 year old bad self still astound.

Good luck and keep us posted to your progress :grinning:

(Sophie) #4

When I was morbidly obese I began having knee pain. Then we moved from coastal Georgia to Tennessee and my driveway was a mini mountain. I couldn’t get to the mailbox without my knee clicking and in pain. I decided to take an aquatics class at the local YMCA. Three days a week really helped and it was gentle exercise. Once I began to lose weight the benefits started to add up as far as core strength and stability. I stayed and this month is my 7yrs anniversary. Maybe you’d like something like that. Oh, one of the best things is I’ve made some wonderful friends, which I was not expecting and which has lead me to some crazy adventures! Life is strange and wonderful.

(grace elizabeth) #5

Thank you, Leann, Pete, and Sophie - I have done the Zach Bush exercise this morning and am going to go for a walk at the park before shopping. I’ll be off my butt for at least two hours! :v:

(Sarah Slancauskas) #6

What a lovely post! This sounds like a really positive change which has happened very naturally for you. You’re going to feel so much better :blush: stepping into fitness with the 4 minutes workout is a great way to build your stamina and get you familiar with moving more. I applaud you for being willing and taking steps to make these changes - well done!

(grace elizabeth) #7

Thank you Sarah, I appreciate it. :yellow_heart:

(grace elizabeth) #8

Okay, so far today I have walked for 30 minutes and did the 4 minute routine twice.
I plan to repeat both before the end of the day. I’m writing this down to help me stick with it…consistency is a big downfall for me… but I’m working on it!

(Pete A) #9

@grace2166 that sounds so good and doable. I suspect after some time you will be adding to it! And feel like dancing :grinning::man_dancing:

(grace elizabeth) #10

Thanks Pete. I can’t say I love it yet, but I don’t hate it. I just know I have to KMCO (keep moving and carry on). :walking_woman:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #11

If there’s places nearby, try to get out into nature to walk. I find good screnery makes runs (and walks) so much more enjoyable.

(grace elizabeth) #12

Yes it does. I have been walking at a park near the beach close to where I live. :slight_smile: